First one-day solo visit to DLR. All tips appreciated :)

Aurynn

Mouseketeer
I'll be LA for ten days and will have a couple of days off so I want to take the opportunity to go to DLR.

I'm meeting a friend at Downtown Disney earlier that week but she doesn't have the time to go into the park with me. It'll be my first time at the resort as well as my first solo trip to a Disney park.

If anyone has tips or must-sees for a one-day visit I'd really appreciate it. And I'm totally up for a coffee or a meet up to do some rides. There is no way that I'll pass up on this opportunity just because I'm travelling solo :)

I lived in SoCal until about two years ago. Been to DLR many-many times. Here are my recommendations:
Try to go during the week. Its summer vacation and your weekends will be packed.
If you can only do one of the parks, Disneyland is much better. DCA is fun and all, but not as good.
Many of the rides will give you a deja vu feeling. But they are a little different. My first trip to MK was really fun because of this.
Disneyland, although larger than MK, feels much smaller. Things are much closer together and the walkways are narrower. Thus it feels more crowded.
My top 5 at Disneyland would be: Indiana Jones, Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, Haunted Mansion, Pirates.
Toon Town clears out more in the evening, but often closes before the rest of the park, watch for hours.
Make sure you ride the train between Tomorroland and Main Street Stations.
Walk through the castle itself, the entrance is to the LEFT after walking through the castle gate (going into FantasyLand)
The wishing well is a neat little area to the RIGHT of the Castle. Many people don't realize its there.
Downtown Disney is smaller but still good people watching and some decent shops.
Trader Sam's is located in the Pool Area of the Disneyland Hotel. You'll want to sit at the bar. Kelly is an awesome bartender and he is there most weekdays.

I'm sure there is much more, but these are what I got off the top of my head. If you have any specific questions, let me know.

I just went to DLR in June and spent some time with friends, and also solo. You'll have a blast!

Take advantage of the single rider lines at some attractions, like Matterhorn, California Screamin', and Radiator Springs Racers. FastPass always seemed faster than single rider for Indiana Jones.

The wine country trattoria area in DCA is great for getting a cheese plate, a drink, and then finding a spot and people watching. We did that twice, it was never crowded.

You will be able to get a great spot for the 2nd Paint the Night parade (much less crowded than the first) - try closer to It's a Small World instead of Main Street. Or there are benches around the hub, snag a seat on one of those after the fireworks end and wait there for the 2nd parade.

I lived in SoCal until about two years ago. Been to DLR many-many times. Here are my recommendations:
Try to go during the week. Its summer vacation and your weekends will be packed.
If you can only do one of the parks, Disneyland is much better. DCA is fun and all, but not as good.
Many of the rides will give you a deja vu feeling. But they are a little different. My first trip to MK was really fun because of this.
Disneyland, although larger than MK, feels much smaller. Things are much closer together and the walkways are narrower. Thus it feels more crowded.
My top 5 at Disneyland would be: Indiana Jones, Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, Haunted Mansion, Pirates.
Toon Town clears out more in the evening, but often closes before the rest of the park, watch for hours.
Make sure you ride the train between Tomorroland and Main Street Stations.
Walk through the castle itself, the entrance is to the LEFT after walking through the castle gate (going into FantasyLand)
The wishing well is a neat little area to the RIGHT of the Castle. Many people don't realize its there.
Downtown Disney is smaller but still good people watching and some decent shops.
Trader Sam's is located in the Pool Area of the Disneyland Hotel. You'll want to sit at the bar. Kelly is an awesome bartender and he is there most weekdays.

I'm sure there is much more, but these are what I got off the top of my head. If you have any specific questions, let me know.

Thanks. You covered most of it really. I'm planning to go on a Friday so that should be okay. I'll definitely try to do Toon Town a bit later in the day then when all the kiddies go to sleep ;)
I probably won't make it to Trader Sam's as I'll be going for one day and I'll be driving. Too bad really, I'd love to try some cocktails.
I think it'll be so much fun. I've only ever been to DLRP so it'll be fun to see the original Disneyland :)

I just went to DLR in June and spent some time with friends, and also solo. You'll have a blast!

Take advantage of the single rider lines at some attractions, like Matterhorn, California Screamin', and Radiator Springs Racers. FastPass always seemed faster than single rider for Indiana Jones.

The wine country trattoria area in DCA is great for getting a cheese plate, a drink, and then finding a spot and people watching. We did that twice, it was never crowded.

You will be able to get a great spot for the 2nd Paint the Night parade (much less crowded than the first) - try closer to It's a Small World instead of Main Street. Or there are benches around the hub, snag a seat on one of those after the fireworks end and wait there for the 2nd parade.

Thanks. I'll definitely go for the single rider lines. And thanks for the tip for the Paint the Night parade :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter