First DVC Resale Contract for The Villas at Disneyland Hotel

The counter is if you're a DVC owner; will you stay at VDH DVC or Disneyland Hotel? Either way, as a visitor, you'll be paying the TOT. WWYD?
I would like to visit DL one day and I would try for VGC or VDH at 7 months. I'll pay whatever tax there is for my visit, but I don't see myself visiting DL enough to justify owning there.

This DVC owner stayed at the Element Anaheim with included breakfast for under $200 per night and a 12 minute walk to the parks.
It is certainly less expensive if you are willing to sleep right next to a major interstate and walk on a the sidewalk next to a busy street in the morning and at night….

Nothing wrong with that, I’m glad there are lots of options for families to consider.

But if you are OK with a SV Studio at 16 points per night and rent the points for $17 then you cost comes out to around $320 a night including the TOT vs $220 (including est TOT) for the Element Anaheim based on rates I just pulled off the web.

A PV Studio will bring you up to $380 including TOT….

The ppp is obviously amortized out to a lower cost if you own the direct points vs renting and will vary based on the season you are staying… but so will the hotel prices…

Is staying in the Disney Bubble and having a higher degree of safety ( see stories about someone getting shot at a gas station and people getting hit by cars racing while crossing Harbor in 2023) worth an extra $100 to $160 a night? Thats for everyone to decide based on their own situation and perception of value.

It is certainly less expensive if you are willing to sleep right next to a major interstate and walk on a the sidewalk next to a busy street in the morning and at night….

Nothing wrong with that, I’m glad there are lots of options for families to consider.

But if you are OK with a SV Studio at 16 points per night and rent the points for $17 then you cost comes out to around $320 a night including the TOT vs $220 (including est TOT) for the Element Anaheim based on rates I just pulled off the web.

A PV Studio will bring you up to $380 including TOT….

The ppp is obviously amortized out to a lower cost if you own the direct points vs renting and will vary based on the season you are staying… but so will the hotel prices…

Is staying in the Disney Bubble and having a higher degree of safety ( see stories about someone getting shot at a gas station and people getting hit by cars racing while crossing Harbor in 2023) worth an extra $100 to $160 a night? Thats for everyone to decide based on their own situation and perception of value.
We walked each morning and night. Not once did I feel unsafe. I looked up the gas station and it was a mile down Harbor.

For us, it's more a question of for the times we get out to DL (which is about once every 3 years), is it worth it to use our DVC points? For me, the answer is no. We paid under $200 per night at the Element, and it was very nice for the 4 nights we were there. We would rather use our points and splurge on a 2-bedroom at Aulani.

Now, if I went to DL more often, it may make more sense, but I also can't get over why the TAT is about 5x as what it is at Aulani...

We walked each morning and night. Not once did I feel unsafe. I looked up the gas station and it was a mile down Harbor.

For us, it's more a question of for the times we get out to DL (which is about once every 3 years), is it worth it to use our DVC points? For me, the answer is no. We paid under $200 per night at the Element, and it was very nice for the 4 nights we were there. We would rather use our points and splurge on a 2-bedroom at Aulani.

Now, if I went to DL more often, it may make more sense, but I also can't get over why the TAT is about 5x as what it is at Aulani...
Let’s not tempt the State of Hawaii….

I also considered pointing out that the violent crime on the blocks immediately surrounding DLR is near zero. I frighten easily and I feel perfectly safe walking from any of the hotels that are across Harbor or Katella— at least during park hours and the hour before/after—not recommending anybody stroll it at 3AM.

I wonder if Disney can work with the state of California and/or the city of Anaheim to make the area around the parks safer? It does seem to be a concern... I have not been there in years, so I cannot speak to it, and the last time I was there, I was on on property, so didn't experience this....

That said, this can still happen in the Disney Bubble:
https://www.clickorlando.com/news/l...-in-disney-discovery-island-trespassing-case/

I saw that a stripped contract popped up for $150pp and is now gone…. I wonder if that was the first VDH resale contract to close…. I hope the buyer is a DISBoarder who uses the ROFR board…

Of course, it said no points for 23,24, and 25…. so maybe they need to adjust the listing because I don’t know how 25 points could be gone at this point… but there was a delayed closed until Feb 24…

I saw that a stripped contract popped up for $150pp and is now gone…. I wonder if that was the first VDH resale contract to close…. I hope the buyer is a DISBoarder who uses the ROFR board…

Of course, it said no points for 23,24, and 25…. so maybe they need to adjust the listing because I don’t know how 25 points could be gone at this point… but there was a delayed closed until Feb 24…

Cruises can book much farther out so they can borrow for those…and, if this was a Feb UY, then borrowing 25 into 24 would be normal.

Cruises can book much farther out so they can borrow for those…and, if this was a Feb UY, then borrowing 25 into 24 would be normal.
Could they have a Feb UY for VDH at this point? The listing is gone so I can’t double check to see what it was… I suppose they could match UY for other holdings….

Could they have a Feb UY for VDH at this point? The listing is gone so I can’t double check to see what it was… I suppose they could match UY for other holdings….

Yes, they sold all UYs for VDH when it opened for sales..so people started with 2023 UY points for all of them.

Let’s hypothetically say the seller paid $30k for the points after magical beginnings, discounts for 150 points, and a welcome home credit.. so $200pp. Would be more if they did not get MB.

If they sell for $150pp they are getting $22,500 less a 9.25% commission = roughly $20,500.… plus dues on the 23-24 points of another $3k… so all in they could be out $10k or more…

vs renting 300 points on the transfer board for $5100 to $6600

Wow….

Wasn't us, but we likely wouldn't go for a completely stripped one either. But if another one pops up at that price, a use year close to ours and not completely stripped we'd probably jump on it.

The counter is if you're a DVC owner; will you stay at VDH DVC or Disneyland Hotel? Either way, as a visitor, you'll be paying the TOT. WWYD?
FWIW, we've been booking and staying at VDH using our SSR points. For context, we had never stayed at the Disneyland Hotel before having/using VDH. Not happy about the TOT and we often discuss the apparent "double taxation issue" as we grumble among ourselves ... but we are still booking it. Sure, I'd far prefer booking the VGC (and do book it as often as I can find it). We tend to consume 2n/month between the two locations during the 8-9 "safe" months of our UY.

My bigger problem with VDH is having to walk through Downtown Disney. I'm just about ready to quit that practice and resort to "crossing the street" at the Grand Cal. I really hate Downtown Disney for its noise, crowds, and the (failed) traffic patterns of how guests move through the space. (They don't walk with purpose ... they meander and frequently stop right in front of you or pull a crazy Ivan turnaround ... ugh. I just want to walk-with-purpose and get through the awful space to my destination. Where is the "fast lane" through DD?)

Strangely, I find myself preferring the walk along Harbor to one of my off-site, nearby, timeshares over walking between DL and VDH. (In my heart, I find myself disliking VDH more for its location than for its nuisance taxation.)

EDITED TO ADD: I s'pose this begs the question, "So why do you use your DVC points at VDH?" My only answer is because, "We already have the points. Gotta use them somewhere." We are nearly 20 years into DVC. Our original purpose for buying the points is done and we are now in the position of "having to use the points." DLR is close enough to visit frequently. Disney has us by the pursestrings, right? Because we have DVC and must go ... we also have an Annual Pass ("Magic Key") so that we can go. But it you hold the Annual Pass, you feel you must get full value from that pass ... it becomes a vicious cycle. Again, Disney has us where they want us ... and thus far, it isn't so unpleasant as to warrant selling all/some of our DVC points. (Getting close ... but not yet crossed that line.)

Last edited:
FWIW, we've been booking and staying at VDH using our SSR points. For context, we had never stayed at the Disneyland Hotel before having/using VDH. Not happy about the TOT and we often discuss the apparent "double taxation issue" as we grumble among ourselves ... but we are still booking it. Sure, I'd far prefer booking the VGC (and do book it as often as I can find it). We tend to consume 2n/month between the two locations during the 8-9 "safe" months of our UY.

My bigger problem with VDH is having to walk through Downtown Disney. I'm just about ready to quit that practice and resort to "crossing the street" at the Grand Cal. I really hate Downtown Disney for its noise, crowds, and the (failed) traffic patterns of how guests move through the space. (They don't walk with purpose ... they meander and frequently stop right in front of you or pull a crazy Ivan turnaround ... ugh. I just want to walk-with-purpose and get through the awful space to my destination. Where is the "fast lane" through DD?)

Strangely, I find myself preferring the walk along Harbor to one of my off-site, nearby, timeshares over walking between DL and VDH. (In my heart, I find myself disliking VDH more for its location than for its nuisance taxation.)

EDITED TO ADD: I s'pose this begs the question, "So why do you use your DVC points at VDH?" My only answer is because, "We already have the points. Gotta use them somewhere." We are nearly 20 years into DVC. Our original purpose for buying the points is done and we are now in the position of "having to use the points." DLR is close enough to visit frequently. Disney has us by the pursestrings, right? Because we have DVC and must go ... we also have an Annual Pass ("Magic Key") so that we can go. But it you hold the Annual Pass, you feel you must get full value from that pass ... it becomes a vicious cycle. Again, Disney has us where they want us ... and thus far, it isn't so unpleasant as to warrant selling all/some of our DVC points. (Getting close ... but not yet crossed that line.)
I enjoy the DD walk… the music… the stores opening….the hustle and bustle….excited families….

I enjoy the DD walk… the music… the stores opening….the hustle and bustle….excited families….
I am genuinely glad you do!

(I'm not the Disney person in my household ... but I am the planner-person. My efforts "get us there" but the team has to encourage me once we arrive. :faint: Not terribly hard: I enjoy the rides; I love dining; I love walking 10 miles/day; I hate shopping. Pretty easy, overall?)

Last edited:
I like the downtown disney walk too, and definitely prefer it over walking on harbor! I always get stuck behind slow walkers on harbor that take up the whole sidewalk. In downtown disney I can at least navigate around them and get to enjoy the Disney ambiance!

I am genuinely glad you do!

(I'm not the Disney person in my household ... but I am the planner-person. My efforts "get us there" but the team has to encourage me once we arrive. :faint: Not terribly hard: I enjoy the rides; I love dining; I love walking 10 miles/day; I hate shopping. Pretty easy, overall?)
I completely get it!

I like the walk through downtown Disney. The music, the food smells, the people. We go a lot and don’t think I’ve encountered any meandering people ( it is a shopping and dining district). It’s also just 10 mins to the to the gate (although from the amount of complaining I see on this site you’d think it was an hour walk uphill both ways). Monorail is always an option and is about 1-2 min walk if that from security. If you’re going to DCA exit out the back of the frontier tower, walk down paradise, cross the street, enter the Pixar gate and your in the park in 5-6 mins.

Seems like each time there is a new resort, new restriction or any change to extras… there’s backlash about how dvc is no longer worth it. When I was first introduced to dvc back in 2013/2014 people were still upset by the 2011 resale restrictions. Then there was the membership extra exemptions. People were appalled by the offering Grand Floridian Villas at $145 and the higher point charts. much was debated on lack of dvc value back then.

When we purchased Aulani subsidized many owners were so thankful they had the opportunity to give their contracts back to dvd and get full refunds in lieu of keeping the subsidized contract. I read so many posts about what a rip off Aulani was with the tat and how the subsidy would go away…. Now years later I get a real thrill from using subsidized Aulani points for the 16 points per night hotel rooms with free parking.

Contracts purchased at initial offer and paid in cash vs finance are a fantastic savings as long as kept a few years.

Granted my Rivera contract is not currently worth what I paid for it but I can still easily walk away from it whole. I think it’s given me points since 2019 so even compared to renting those several years of points vs cash rate comparison I’m made whole if I chose to sell today.

I appreciate the debate over the value but I definitely see ever increasing value with Disneyland hotel villas. Having stayed on and off property for over 30 years now, the Disneyland Hotel was always my very favorite. To now get to stay at Disneyland Hotel villas for not much more than off property is a win.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter