First Day Impressions

cdoc29

Cruising with the Crazies
So we arrived via train after 5 night in Paris. We dropped off our bags and hit the parks.

Disneyland - Park makes a good first impression, Main Street with the view of the Sleeping Beauty's Castle is awesome is truly instagram worthy. walking around many things surprise and delight. The rides and attractions are different enough to make them unique. We loved Casey Junior's Train, Alice in Wonderlands Labyrinth with Queen Mary's maze. Climbing the Mad Queens tower and getting to ride the Big Thunder Mountain was awesome. Phantom Manor (Haunted House) has a unique backstory to make the ride interesting and the Adventure Isle/Pirates beach is a large place for the kids to explore and get lost in.

As we explored we did notice that the park definitely needs some TLC, with peeling paint and and lack of touch up, Not up to the Disney standards of the US parks. Bathrooms and overall cleanliness are also not up to standard, not horrible but think local theme park vs a Disney Park. Guests here do things that cast members in the US would never let them get away with, standing on rides, dipping their hands in the water, hoping fences to sit in grassy areas and general lack of respect for park rules or other guests like cutting in line. Also the park are not smoke free and have designated smoking areas but guests do not always follow those rules either. It feels more 6 Flags Amusement park that Disney. Not that 6 flags isn't fun it just doesn't meet the same standards Disney usually does.

Sequoia Lodge - I am not sure where to start. Imagine you are in a Motel 6 or Days Inn and its really old, they used to allow smoking even though they don't now and haven't fixed or replaced the furniture in years including the mattresses. That about sums it up. It is no where near the standard I have come to expect from Disney having stayed in multiple properties at the Wold and Disneyland Hotel in California, in fact if you plan on visiting Disneyland Paris I would recommend staying in Val d'Europe and riding the bus or train over its that bad in the hotel. This is the end of a three week stay in Europe and this is easily the worst hotel we have stayed in and that's saying something. I was surprised by how the cost of staying here at Disneyland Paris was cheaper than than a stay on property in the US, now I am no longer surprised.

Pics are the Bath Tub, One of the chairs showing wear and tear which is evident through the room, the condition of the spoon when when we arrived, under the sink, not sure what the wiring is and the corners of the bathroom where it is evident the room is never cleaned.

Attachments

• IMG_0736.JPG
    IMG_0736.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0745.JPG
    IMG_0745.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0755.JPG
    IMG_0755.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0772.JPG
    IMG_0772.JPG
    17.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0776.JPG
    IMG_0776.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 21
I keep hearing reports like this from SL and we are staying in July. I’m wondering if Newport Bay is any better!?

I am 7 days away from arrival. (Just completed checkin). I didn't plan on spending much time at the resort. As long as the bed is comfortable, I'm good.

j

Now I'm worried - we are headed to DP at the end of our Paris trip next week and staying at Sequoia too, I already knew from the photos it wouldn't be up to WDW resort standards but this looks bad. Only staying two nights at least!

Now I'm worried - we are headed to DP at the end of our Paris trip next week and staying at Sequoia too, I already knew from the photos it wouldn't be up to WDW resort standards but this looks bad. Only staying two nights at least!
This really depends on expectations. DLP has hotels, not resorts as people spend very little time in their hotel. People in Europe prefer firm mattresses. So some things are just aimed at a different target group.

Sequoia is still on the list of major refurbishment. The last one was in 2012, I think. What they have been doing is a lot of work on the outside, but not yet on the inside.

For what it's worth, I love Sequoia, love the atmosphere. 😀

Guests here do things that cast members in the US would never let them get away with, standing on rides, dipping their hands in the water, hoping fences to sit in grassy areas and general lack of respect for park rules or other guests like cutting in line. Also the park are not smoke free and have designated smoking areas but guests do not always follow those rules either.
Some things are cultural. In every park in France you can relax in the grass, it doesn't make sense to some people there is one place where you can't. It happens often on hot days. They are more strict around the hub, but you see it a lot on the secret walkway between Fantasyland and Discoveryland.

Same with smoking, it is such a cultural habit. It has improved a lot since covid and CMs feel more comfortable to approach smoking guests and refer them to the smoking areas. But still there is a huge population in France who smoke and can do that everywhere outside. Also here, to some it doesn't make sense there is one place where you can't.

"Getting away with things", I know CMs do announce things over the audio if they see it. Pays des Contes Fees has issues with kids standing or holding their hands in the water.

But you will also see a difference here in comparison with the US. In Europe companies do not have to be very concerned about people suing them when guests are stupid. If something happens and it turns out this was because of the guests stupidity (or parents neglecting to keep an eyes on their kids), that really is your own responsibility. In the US this is different and therefore the approach of the CMs is much stricter and they have to pay closer attention.

Okay. Checked in last night. Sequoia Lodge rooms are not worth the price. The tub is cracked and water sprays out of the shower/tub pull switch. The bed is like sleeping on a door. I feel I am paying moderate prices for a room that’s worse than an all star. There are 3 plugs. None near the bed. The only on that isn’t used is by the door which is totally useless. Glad I brought and extension cord for my cpap machine.

The parks are really good so far. I had my birthday dinner last night at Downtown in the New York hotel. The food was GREAT. Really glad I ate there. I had a birthday champagne at the Skyline Bar. The bartender gave me the drink for free. So I got some pixie dust already!!

Will report more later!

Thanks Chuckers,

We'll be there Thursday. We are in Milan right now heading to Rome. I have my expectations set low on Sequoia Lodge. I threw an extension cord in one of out bags, but it didn't make it all the way to Rone with us. Hopefully the airline will find it.

Maybe we'll run into you.

j

Thanks Chuckers,

We'll be there Thursday. We are in Milan right now heading to Rome. I have my expectations set low on Sequoia Lodge. I threw an extension cord in one of our bags, but it didn't make it all the way to Rome with us. Hopefully the airline will find it.

j

I’m feeling very conflicted about changing from Sequoia (golden forest room) to a regular room at Newport or Hotel NY….both would be a bit more $, and we’d need to buy breakfast.

I’m feeling very conflicted about changing from Sequoia (golden forest room) to a regular room at Newport or Hotel NY….both would be a bit more $, and we’d need to buy breakfast.
If the room is important to you, yes, then change. In my memory NPB doesn't have the outlet issues Sequoia has. Golden forest rooms are mainly bigger, are centrally located and you have the lounge. I do love the lounge, especially on a longer visit and we go back for breaks.

The Marvel hotel is new, so every issue due to old age won't occur, but I do expect the beds/mattresses to be the same as in other hotels.

Also, the pool at the lodge is closed for refurbishment. You can go to the concierge and they will see if NY or NPB have room at their pool for you to swim. I went to the NY pool today, it was beautiful.

Thanks Chuckers,

We'll be there Thursday. We are in Milan right now heading to Rome. I have my expectations set low on Sequoia Lodge. I threw an extension cord in one of out bags, but it didn't make it all the way to Rone with us. Hopefully the airline will find it.

j
I check out thursday. Will play in the park for a while then go to my airport hotel. If you see a guy with a blue and purple beard, that’s me!

me on the teacups
IMG_0001.jpeg

Last edited:
I check out thursday. Will play in the park for a while then go to my airport hotel. If you see a guy with a blue and purple beard, that’s me!

me on the teacups
Great pic. I don't think we'll be there until around 3. We fly in to CDG at 1230. You shouldn't be hard to miss. I hope you had a great birthday.

j

Great pic. I don't think we'll be there until around 3. We fly in to CDG at 1230. You shouldn't be hard to miss. I hope you had a great birthday.

j
I did, thank you. If you have to go through customs at CDG be prepared for a wait. It was horrendous when I went through on Sunday.

I'm coming in from Rome, so hopefully not customs even with a US passport.

j

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter