"Fine print" on the magic bands

leebee

DIS Veteran
I have started packing up for our vacation; we'll be in FL on Saturday! As I was packing our magic bands, I discovered a flyer in the bottom of the magic band box, underneath the cardboard inserts that hold the bands. It talks about radio frequency technology and issues warnings about the magic bands to people who have an implantable pacemaker or ICD (cardioverter-defibrillator). Apparently radio frequency transmitters (which is what the magic band is) can interfere with the functioning of these medical devices. They warn you to keep your magic band at leas 9" away from your device, not to put your mb in your chest pocket, and to contact both your doctor and your device manufacturer for more information. The insert also recommends that people using other medical devices such as insulin pumps, neurostimulators, hearing aids, etc., to contact the manufacturer and their doctor for information about their devices in the presence of RFID.

Maybe it's just Disney playing CYA, but really, why are we going along with this? Are the magic bands really safe? In a world where schools ban peanuts to keep one kid safe, it surprises me that Disney would be so widely distributing and employing devices that potentially interfere with pacemakers, etc. I'd surely be thinking twice about going to Disney if I, or a loved one, had a pacemaker.

Virtually every electronic device in the US emits these signals. Other countries have regulations requiring EMI filters and such, but not us. They are no more dangerous than a cell phone or tablet.

I have started packing up for our vacation; we'll be in FL on Saturday! As I was packing our magic bands, I discovered a flyer in the bottom of the magic band box, underneath the cardboard inserts that hold the bands. It talks about radio frequency technology and issues warnings about the magic bands to people who have an implantable pacemaker or ICD (cardioverter-defibrillator). Apparently radio frequency transmitters (which is what the magic band is) can interfere with the functioning of these medical devices. They warn you to keep your magic band at leas 9" away from your device, not to put your mb in your chest pocket, and to contact both your doctor and your device manufacturer for more information. The insert also recommends that people using other medical devices such as insulin pumps, neurostimulators, hearing aids, etc., to contact the manufacturer and their doctor for information about their devices in the presence of RFID.

Maybe it's just Disney playing CYA, but really, why are we going along with this? Are the magic bands really safe? In a world where schools ban peanuts to keep one kid safe, it surprises me that Disney would be so widely distributing and employing devices that potentially interfere with pacemakers, etc. I'd surely be thinking twice about going to Disney if I, or a loved one, had a pacemaker.

I agree, there are thousands and thousands of electronic items that can interfere with pacemakers.

If you don't want the band, you can request a card I believe.

In a world where schools ban peanuts to keep one kid safe, it surprises me that Disney would be so widely distributing and employing devices that potentially interfere with pacemakers, etc. I'd surely be thinking twice about going to Disney if I, or a loved one, had a pacemaker.

Your sensitivity is astounding! Glad that one kid dying isn't worth trying to protect!

But no worries- just try and figure out if RFID is safe. A technology that's been around for 20 some years.

My little guy wears hearing aids - I wonder if the magic band will interfere with them in any way. I'll call Phonak (or our audiologist) to see if it will have an effect with his aids. Much scarier to think about a pacemaker being affected!

Disney still serves peanuts...

Stacy

My little guy wears hearing aids - I wonder if the magic band will interfere with them in any way. I'll call Phonak (or our audiologist) to see if it will have an effect with his aids. Much scarier to think about a pacemaker being affected!
I worked for a major national department store for 14 years that has used RFID for the past 4 years...I also have a hearing aid. All of the price tags at the store have RFID chips in them, then we'd use the scanners to take inventory. I never had a problem. RFID is used EVERYWHERE. Microwaves are more dangerous to folks with pacemakers.

My mother in law has a pacemaker so we are getting her a card to use. Its really not a big deal. I bet 99% of people with pacemakers wouldn't have a problem with the MB, but Disney has to plan for the 1% that would.

I wear hearing aids and a magic band and I go to WDW four times a week. No problems. It is just the lawyers speaking to cover Disney's butt.

and RFID is EVERYWHERE and is not "new" technology. It's not like Disney's treating people like lab rats.

My DFIL has a pacemaker and a hearing aid. He wore the MB on the right wrist and didn't have a problem with either one.

Your sensitivity is astounding! Glad that one kid dying isn't worth trying to protect!

But no worries- just try and figure out if RFID is safe. A technology that's been around for 20 some years.

I didn't take it as insensitive - it sounded to me like they're saying other institutions take steps to protect even one person from risk and they found it odd that a large venue like disney didn't seem as careful.

My dad has an ICD and we didn't know about this warning until after we were home. He wore his band on his left wrist and never had a problem.

Of course, he carries his cell phone in his shirt pocket, too, and THAT'S something his doctor specifically mentioned that he shouldn't do. :rotfl:

Anyway...after I read/heard about this warning, I asked my dad if he noticed any issues. (He's pretty aware when his heart is acting up!) He said the only issue he had on our vacation was trying to keep up! LOL (He's almost 70. :rotfl2:)

I work Main Entrance touch-points at MK (from time to time) for 6 to 8 hours at a time and I wear Phonak hearing aids as does one other gentleman I work with (VA issued for both of us). No issues or problems with them and I get a LOT of exposure to the RFID, so nothing to worry over.

No, you wouldn't, because if you or someone you loved had a pacemaker you would know that there's nothing to worry about.

Modern pacemakers are protected against electronic interference, but even if they weren't, the worst case scenario is that you notice the interference and you move it a few inches. The pacemaker won't be damaged and neither will the person.

I had a good friend with a pacemaker when we were young. she once had hers stop working. She was ok for 2 days before it got fixed (being so young it took a bit for the family to realize it wasn't working then to get out to where they could work on it... since around here isn't specialized enough). When they fixed it the pace maker was actually stopped.

Now maybe her heart issues weren't as bad as some others but I would think a bit of interference from an electronic would stop being an issue as soon as you moved it away and the person would be fine.

Maybe it's just Disney playing CYA

This right here is exactly it. Think of it like the warning on sleep medicine that says it may cause drowsiness.

As other posters have said, RFID is pretty pervasive.

So if they are worried, get the RFID card instead for the person affected, they don't have the same technology. It has nothing to do with being around other people who are wearing magic bands.

I wear a RFID card every day for work to get into and out of the building. They don't know where I am inside it, but they know if I've entered or left and what time I did that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter