• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

"Female" questions about running/race...

freepixie

<font color=deeppink>Tanoshi<br><font color=green>
Guys can look if they wanna but its mostly asking feminine questions in here :goodvibes

Also I will apologize in advance, this thread is a little TMI :rotfl:

OK - underpants - tonight when I was running I finally got up to 5 mi!! :banana: Also when I was done and came home I literally had to peel my underpants off of me :scared1: I wear cotton undies - what do any of you suggest for running/racing? I don't think my undies will make it!!

Also - on race day - have any of you had your period during a race? What do you use? On a normal period I use a combo of tampon and pad - but I'm thinking a pad could cause chaffing during a long race!! What do you suggest? My normal brands I use are Always for the pads and Tampax for the tampons. Should I look into one of the sports tampons?

I just want to find out because I know my luck, I will probably end up having my period during a race!!

For underpants....you can go commando, many people do or just don't wear the cotton underpants. The cotton just gets wet and hold the water, so I avoid it.

As for the other question, I don't do anything differently. I have a spibelt that will hold extra supplies when needed and I just make more potty stops than I would otherwise to TCOB.

Don't be embarassed, its a valid question.

1. Undies, I tend to wear a poly blend from Victoria Secret, though you can buy wicking panties from the runnign stores

2. For better or worse, I've done long runs and races of most distances on most days of a period- from first to last! Depending upon how heavy I anticipate, I tend to wear black running shorts and just a tampon, carry an extra in my fanny pack for a change, if needed, and hope that it's enough and know that if not, an "accident" won't show with black and will wash out in the sink. If using a pad, you might consider apply some vasaline down there to minimize chaffing that is likely to occur.

My running skirts have a built in brief, so I usually don't wear anything underneath. That being said, mother nature paid me my visit last week right before my 20 miler, so the brief alone wasn't going to work. I wore my normal cotton undies and a pad (I have never liked tampons.) It was fine for the most part, although I did have minor chafing issues that were gone by the next morning.

Regarding the period question: when I was training for my second triathlon and was swimming 3x per week, I used a menstrual cup (called "instead") they can be left in for more hours than a tampon.

Pretty much what everyone has already mentioned worked for me, bring extra supplies whatever your choice. You might try to get in some practice with whatever you think would suit you before you change your approach.

I use Victorias Secret style panties, or commando with the skirt options. Have been thinking of running store wicking panties, just like the color options at VS and the material works for me.

I had Mother Nature with me during the Princess and I found a pad was fine as my running skort kept things from shiftng. I would probably suggest trying a different brand though. I found Always (and other brands with the plasticy top layer) to be much more chafing than the ones made of 100% cotton or natural fibres. They're hard to find but I think worth the investment. I can't use tampons so I can't comment on that part.

I wear cotton underwear... it can be difficult in the summer, but I've never had an issue any other time of the year.

As for that time of the month, I usually bring extra supplies in my SPIbelt.

I wear running shorts that have a liner-y thing in them. I think most running shorts have them . I got mine at TJ Maxx for like $12. Not a huge investment and very comfortable in the summer.

If I'm not wearing running shorts (colder weather I wear underarmour pants or capris), I go commando. The pants are tighter fitting, so you don't really notice.

As for time of the month - sorry - I don't have to deal (Thank you Mirena IUD!). I would follow other's suggestions of trying the "instead" cup, or a tampon. And black shorts would be something I would do too.

Whatever you decide, just be sure, SURE to try it on a long run at least a few weeks before race day. (or even a not-so-long run for the feminine products thing, especially if you're planning on bringing back-up supplies anyway.)

I need to wear my underwear-even with the brief thing, I just don't like the commando feeling.

As for running with your period-I use a tampon(Tampax) and then Stayfree Ultrathin with wings. It is soft, has "Thermo Control" to keep moisture away, and stays put. Never had any chafing issues when I run with it.

I'd like to echo Colleen, except instead of Vaseline, try Body Glide. Vaseline can stain. Learned that the hard way and now the built-in briefs of my running skirt are three shades darker than they should be!

I've been going without undies in this heat, figuring the built-in briefs in my shorts are there for a reason. Otherwise, I wear microfiber undies (they're actually Hanes, and my favorite all-around undie) that have never caused me a problem.

As for my period, I use a Diva Cup which generally doesn't need attention even during my longest runs. When I feel like I need backup, I use a cloth pantiliner, though I suspect if put to the test it wouldn't help much being already drenched with sweat. (I sound so crunchy. I'm really not crunchy.)

Thank you thank you thank you ladies!!! :worship: You've given me some great ideas!!

Definately planning on trying out my Tampax, I should have that opportunity by next week :rotfl:

I guess I'll try out the commando thing, see if I can stand it! If not, I guess a trip to Victoria Secret is in order!! lol!

Thanks again for all the suggestions and support!! Luv ya ladies!!

I would say just go with your normal setup. I do take a form of BC where i have some flexibility (like stretching it a few extra days, or skipping a month) so I schedule around big races. Good since i have horrible cramping.

Ok, to expand the female running discussion.....where do you get your sports bras? I have, em, well, lets just say I have my ample share....hard to find a sports bra that fits and doesn't rub wrong.

Thank you thank you thank you ladies!!! :worship: You've given me some great ideas!!

Definately planning on trying out my Tampax, I should have that opportunity by next week :rotfl:

I guess I'll try out the commando thing, see if I can stand it! If not, I guess a trip to Victoria Secret is in order!! lol!

Thanks again for all the suggestions and support!! Luv ya ladies!!

I will say the first day of my cycle is heavy, so I do usually wear a panty - not cotton though with a pad, and totally agree about it must be black in case! Generally though, I do commando as I don't like panty lines. I also generally wear something over them like a running skirt.

I go commando (built in briefs in shorts and skirts).

Don't have to deal with TOM anymore (ablation surgery is a godsend).

I buy Moving Comfort bras and prefer the Fiona style. I am a 30F, and have been as large as a G, until recently. They support me well. I do have to get out the old sewing machine and take the band in, but that's just because I'm built so weird.

I go commando (built in briefs in shorts and skirts).

Don't have to deal with TOM anymore (ablation surgery is a godsend).

I buy Moving Comfort bras and prefer the Fiona style. I am a 30F, and have been as large as a G, until recently. They support me well. I do have to get out the old sewing machine and take the band in, but that's just because I'm built so weird.
With the bra, do you find that there is a lot of "bounce" when you exercise? I am a DD (down from a DDD) and I am having a hard time finding a bra that fits snugly enough so that there's not the constant up-and-down with "the ladies" when I run or anything.

sports bras - I wear a 32DD and I normally have a hard time with sports bras as well. I got an underarmor sports bra (the Endure) on a clearance whim - can't beat $15! and after running in it once, I went back to buy all they had (which was only 2 more, in the exact same blue color).

I got a small or med (I don't remember) which is much smaller than I would have thought in a bra, but I guess that's what makes the girls stay in place.

downside to this bra is that the girls eventually end up touching in the middle, and it gets slick with sweat in there. I HATE that feeling, so I sometimes stuff a thin washcloth in there.

With the bra, do you find that there is a lot of "bounce" when you exercise? I am a DD (down from a DDD) and I am having a hard time finding a bra that fits snugly enough so that there's not the constant up-and-down with "the ladies" when I run or anything.

No, not much bounce at all. The important thing is to get a good fit. They sell them at places like Dick's sporting goods, or running stores. I got my first one at the running store, because I could try them on, then, I find them cheaper online. Being an F, I still buy a DD. They don't sell a 30, so that's why I have to make the band smaller. The only time I ever had a bounce issue was on a 20 mile training run, in an older bra. I got really sweaty and got blisters under my chest from sweating.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter