Fantasia Gardens mini golf? Worth it and when to go?

ewasilau

Mouseketeer
We've been to WDW a few times as a family, but not for almost 5 years, and have a 6-day, 5 night trip coming up (we are 2 adults, 3 kids ages 10-14). We are debating trying to work mini golf into the schedule, partly because we've never done it at WDW before, we have vouchers, and Fantasia Gardens looks walkable from our resort (Yacht Club). A couple of questions though:

Will it take too time much away from our park time?
Is it just a standard mini golf course or are there extra fun/Disney elements?
Am I right that it's walkable from Yacht Club?
When would be a good time to go? (One option we were thinking of is after a 4:10 pm Beaches and Cream reservation on Sat. 5/12, another is on our checkout day - we don't have a flight til 9 pm)

Also - we have 4 paper vouchers in our box with our magic bands, and also the "magical extras" card. Do we really only have free mini golf for 4 people or will all 5 of us (we are a party of 5) be covered by the magical extras card or our magic bands?

Thanks for any thoughts on this!

We have done it when we have had free vouchers. Usually on a night when we are out of the parks early. It is fun, but not sure that I would pay for it.

I guess how much time it takes away from park time is your call as to whether it's too much.

The course is themed after Fantasia, so I find it cute.

Not really. You can play mini golf just about anywhere. Why do it when you can go to the parks?

It's cute, but pretty typical in terms of mini golf. I wouldn't go out of my way to do it, but if you have a free hour on a non park day then sure, why not.

We did it several years ago and really enjoyed it. I think the most unique course was the Fairways course they have. It's like a real golf course shrunk down to miniature. Lots of fun! We did both last time. Started with the Fantasia course, then we paid the discounted price and to do the Fairway side.

I'm considering mini golf also for one of our travel days when we don't have park access. How long does it take to play a round with 6 people?

I think it's a fun course, but we only do it when we're in Orlando and off site. If you're onsite, each day is a premium for unique access to the parks, and doing anything other than the parks during that time seems to diminish the value.

But it's a fun course. So's the one at Universal. But again, we only do them when we're in Orlando for an extended time and not staying onsite.

So, I may not be able to really answer any of your questions, but i do have a different angle. I have no idea why, but the only memory i have of one of our trips as a kid, which were usually every 5ish years, that memory is of playing mini golf at the Fantasia Gardens. Something about seeing it all lit up at nighttime, and the relaxed feel of playing there with the Disney statues, it really stuck with me. So much so, that our last trip, i had planned an evening for us to hit Gardens in the evening after a dinner at Cape May. Sadly, our FP for Soarin was cancelled because it was down during our hour, and so we rebooked another for after dinnertime and we went back to the park instead of playing golf. I was pretty bummed, but this trip we dont have a time that works for us to go either. So, i would say its definitely one of those things that stick out as so different for kids, that it might really make an impression. However, like PP said, it really is just mini golf at the end of the day, so if its a choice between park time that you dont want to miss, i probably wouldn't do the golf. Also, correct me if im wrong, but arent the vouchers only good for daytime golf?

I think you need to check the time on the vouchers. I believe it is only good for prior to 4pm as well.

We golfed last year and had a surprisingly good time. I didn't think the themeing was spectacular, but it was nice. However, I would never pick golf over going to a park. We were at Disney for 14 days with a 10 days ticket. DS broke his foot the day before vacation so the water parks we had planned for our non-park days needed to be replaced and the golf was a good alternate.

Played last week. We enjoyed it. We played the gardens course and hope to try fairways next time. We walked from the Swan- very easy.

But we also played both courses at Winter/Summerland (as you can tell, this was a parks-lite visit). The Summer course there was the best of the three.

All of the courses have a Disney touch to them, but if you’re not that into mini-golf, it won’t make mini-golf suddenly amazing.

Fantasia Gardens is far better than most mini golf courses.

We usually need to relax for a day in the middle of our vacation. And doing a mini golf is just what the doctor ordered.

The fairways course is very challenging with long sloping fairways and greens and grass rough. It reminds one of an actual course complete with hazards and traps. There are no bricks lining the course to keep it on in various spots So it can fall off into the flower beds. I think Golfers would like this much better than kids. Even adults that just put occasionally may get frustrated with this course.

The Gardens course is a very whimsical and interesting but also a challenge. Younger kids would do better over at Winter/Summerland which is easier and has more shade.
Those with free vouchers must tee off by 4pm. Of course the least crowded time of the day is when it is sunny. Evenings are quite busy.

Last edited:
We loved Fantasia minigolf. We played it in the evening, with Fantasmic music playing in the distance & fireworks overhead for part of the time. That was magical. The quality of the course, in terms of theming & effects, is in a different league from the mini-golf we've played at home. Would definitely do it again.

Love that it's an attraction that doesn't require reservations or FPs. You just show up. Don't quite get people saying, "Well, there's minigolf at home so what's the point?" Well, we have amusement parks in my home state & they're nothing like Disney. The quality & theming are entirely different. The same goes for minigolf.

It's cute, but a bit in need of a rehab, IMHO. I wouldn't take park time away to mini-golf there. Yes, you can walk there from YC, but the vouchers are only good until 4 pm. If you really want to do it, I would go right at opening on a day you aren't planning on going to a park. The line to play can really build up during the day. The last time we went, we had a 30 minute wait time and it just wasn't worth it.

If you really want to do it, I would go right at opening on a day you aren't planning on going to a park. The line to play can really build up during the day. The last time we went, we had a 30 minute wait time and it just wasn't worth it.

Exactly. The thing that stinks about the wait is that there's really nothing to do there while you wait. We've played twice and each time was about a 30-minute wait. That said, we really, really like it.

We did this when we were at Disney last week. We ended up arriving at the resort hours earlier than expected, so I threw out some suggestions for what we could do...Disney Springs, hang out at resort, visit Guest Services and actually buy an add on day to our park tickets, mini golf... And my son starts jumping up and down and going, "mini golf, mini golf!" :yay: Husband was like, "yeah, mini golf sounds good." And I'm thinking: Mini golf over a park? :confused3

So mini golf it was! We had a good time, place was pretty deserted when we were there and course is very nice, although I have seen other courses that were just as impressive at other vacation destinations. The course is very colorful, with animatronics throughout. It was a nice change of pace. Lyft drivers apparently don't get asked to go there very often though, as two Lyft drivers had trouble finding it.

And my son starts jumping up and down and going, "mini golf, mini golf!" :yay: Husband was like, "yeah, mini golf sounds good." And I'm thinking: Mini golf over a park? :confused3

Yeah... that's the rub trying to plan for the most 'value' and maximize your time/$$'s, vs what others WANT to do. I've planned our last few trips trying to get everything done that I think will make the most of our time... yet my son wants to do other things like ping-pong at Sports, arcades, or float on the lazy river at water parks vs going on the slides. Things that can be done at home for a lot less... but, those are things that bring him the most enjoyment.
So, going to be more casual this year... have done most everything want to at the parks in past, and will not push for things he isn't that interested in. But this only works because we have done the other things.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter