• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Family of 6 (kids 3-10) ... Blizzard Beach or Typhoon Lagoon?

NewYorkMom

DisneyFreaks!
Hi there!

We have NEVER been to the waterparks at Disney, let alone Disney during Summer months :scared:

I was wondering which park would be best for our family with children ranging from 3-10 AND how busy will the waterparks be the last week of July?

I am reading it's best to get there as soon as parks open, but curious to know your experience in end of July. Any tips/tricks and pointers, would be great!!

You cannot go wrong, so don't spend too much time worrying.

The first few hours and the last few hours that a water park is open are the best times to be there. Everything in the middle is busier. The first few days of the week are usually the least busy days at the water parks.

Don't let the afternoon rain scare you. If it rains, you can usually just wait it out. The water park will empty and you'll have it to yourself afterward.

https://wdwprepschool.com/blizzard-beach-vs-typhoon-lagoon-battle-of-the-disney-world-water-parks/

I think BB is better for younger kids. I think they have more kid friendly offerings. They have a great area for toddlers and another great area for kids who are 5-10. TL is probably better for teens or more adventurous kids (my opinion, of course). My daughter did not like TL until she was older because there was just not as that she could do.

ETA: Forgot - Getting to the water parks in the morning is a good idea, especially in July. Thunderstorms can role in and if lightning is in the area the parks will essentially shut-down until the lightning passes. We would usually go in the morning and stay until about 2 and then head out.

TL has more variety in their slides. The wave pool is like the ocean while BB’s pool is a constant mild bob.

Keep in mind if using Disney transportation you have to connect to AK for BB or DS for TL.

Thank you so much!! BB wins ... NOW .... instead of doing another post ... is it cheaper to get a one day ticket to water parks OR to get the Park hopper plus? We are FL residence and will most likely convert to be Passholders.

Add the plus option to park hoppers is cheaper than a single day waterparks. So if you were already going to get park hoppers that’s the way to go. With the plus option, say you have 5 day park hoppers tickets, you also get 5 entitlements for the various plus activities- waterparks, mini golf, regular golf.

However if you already use an Plus activity and upgrade ticket to AP, you have to get the AP with the Waterparks which is more expensive than regular AP

I would have a difficult time at Typhoon lagoon and the huge waves with little kids.

BTW, the theming at Blizzard Beach is awesome! Watch out for the “snow melt” that drips from above when you are on the 30+ minute lazy river - it is ice cold to keep with the theme. Also, the Chairlift to the top and then the Family raft ride will be a big hit with your group I suspect. My 83 year old father went to B.B. during our Spring Break trip with us. His first time in a Waterpark (he drove up from Fort Myers to join us for the day). He was blown away, absolutely loved the wave pool, the lazy river, & many rides/slides. And to the point made earlier - at Typhoon Lagoon the wave pool is actually like an ocean, there is a back tow that you can feel in the water. We found it unsettling with young children. Plus, did I mention the theme & back story of Blizzard Beach? It is just silly, awesome, & fun!

We are going to hit all the big Orlando water parks this year. We have done Blizzard Beach and Typhoon lagoon (yes the older kids like the big wave at Typhoon better).

Also going to the new Volcano Bay (Universal) and Aquatica (Sea World) …. actually many reviews rate Aquatica the best.

I was really worried about the tidal wave and knowing my kids would want to do it. So we picked blizzard beach. BB also had a great kids area.

I would have a difficult time at Typhoon lagoon and the huge waves with little kids.

BTW, the theming at Blizzard Beach is awesome! Watch out for the “snow melt” that drips from above when you are on the 30+ minute lazy river - it is ice cold to keep with the theme. Also, the Chairlift to the top and then the Family raft ride will be a big hit with your group I suspect.

If your kids want to do the wave pool and aren't super strong swimmers as a former competitive swimmer, lifeguard, swim instructor, and swim coach I would for safety reasons select Blizzard Beach. I, for example, avoided Typhoon Lagoon with my own child when he was eight, as I knew he would want to do the wave pool and even being right next to him, didn't feel I could keep him safe at Typhoon Lagoon. To avoid that entire issue, I avoided Typhoon Lagoon and selected Blizzard Beach which was a real hit. Other posters agree with me on the safety issue too. See above. Also as quoted above by rkstocke5609 Blizzard Beach I think would be a hit with your kids.

Thank you so much!! BB wins ... NOW .... instead of doing another post ... is it cheaper to get a one day ticket to water parks OR to get the Park hopper plus? We are FL residence and will most likely convert to be Passholders.

We love both water parks, and I'd personally recommend trying them both. I'm almost truly 50/50 as to which I liked better, but if I was forced to chose one it would be Typhoon Lagoon.

I'm sorry, but I think a lot of the comments about the TL wave pool above are simply hyperbole. With just some very simple and basic common sense, it's completely safe. Sure, if you let your kid who can't swim go into the deep end of the wave pool, it's asking for trouble. However, it's a zero entry pool, and in fact one of the little kiddie areas is in the same pool of water, off to the side. If you child isn't a strong swimmer, they can go in up to their knees and be just fine. The waves loose a lot of power by time they get back that far. We've had our kids going in that pool since they were 11 months old...obviously at that age DW and I held them in our arms in the very shallow area. They're now 14, 10, 10 and they're "average" swimmers for their age. They love that pool and I have no problem letting them go in on their own. I'm in the pool with them, because I like it too, but they know how far out they're allowed to go and they're fine. I just don't buy into all the fear over the TL wave pool. By that token, I could argue the BB wave pool is just as dangerous, if not more. The waves there are much smaller, yes, but they're relentless. One after the other after the other. Makes a lot of currents and swaying in the water too. If you're out too deep there, you're really in trouble because the waves will continually go over you. At TL, after a wave goes through it's a solid 90 seconds to 2 minutes before the next one and the water is calm in between. We've spent countless hours in the TL wave pool, as I said, my kids absolutely love it. We've seen very few "rescues" there, and of the very few it was because someone was doing something really stupid. We've seen the same thing happen in BB wave pool.

I think BB is a great park, I like it as much as I like TL. Just don't let the hype over the wave pool deter you, IMO it's seriously overblown.

Last edited:
I don't feel as if TL is a huge child safety concern - as you said have the small children off to side. But that was kinda my point - with kids starting at age 3 in their group I think they would enjoy Blizzard Beach more because you can actually take the younger ones out in the wave pool with you (vs. giant tsunami - which even for adults can be a bit of a handful - I would hate to have a 3 year old in my hands). With both parks being fairly equal BB seemed like the better choice.

We are also planning our first time at BB with our 8 and 6 year olds this summer. I was thinking about getting a polar patio for shade and a home base. Is it worth the cost? Do you have it full day or for 1/2 a day?

$300 dollars for the polar patio - I keep wanting to do them but it seems like such a steep price.

If there are 4 of you then another option is the Lodge Picnic umbrellas where you get 2 lounges, 2 beach chairs, cocktail table, and 2 towels. For $50.

The $50 chairs is a great way for home base - the $300 patio is a splurge - so you have to weigh if you want to splurge or not.

I think it comes down to how much time your spending at home base. If your planning to relax half the time at home base and want and attendant maybe spluge. If your going to be out and about most of the time with the kids - maybe the beach chairs are the better choice.

Note: The beach chairs don't include a locker so if need a locker you would still have to pay extra for that. I believe the new beach chairs at Volcano Bay at Universal include a locker in the table.

If there are 4 of you then another option is the Lodge Picnic umbrellas where you get 2 lounges, 2 beach chairs, cocktail table, and 2 towels. For $50.

The $50 chairs is a great way for home base - the $300 patio is a splurge - so you have to weigh if you want to splurge or not.

I think it comes down to how much time your spending at home base. If your planning to relax half the time at home base and want and attendant maybe spluge. If your going to be out and about most of the time with the kids - maybe the beach chairs are the better choice.

Note: The beach chairs don't include a locker so if need a locker you would still have to pay extra for that. I believe the new beach chairs at Volcano Bay at Universal include a locker in the table.

I am intrigued by these Lodge Picnic Umbrellas... how crazy does it get? We would be arriving at park opening (10am) on a Wednesday in mid-July.

Are these worth it?

I envision most of our time will be spent in the lazy river, wave pool, and at Ski Patrol Training Camp (for my non-adventurous 12yo) while my 16yo attacks some of the bigger slides.

I don’t want to waste money on something that isn’t worth it, but it may be a good idea to have a main spot, w/ shade, to use as a home base.

Decisions, Decisions!

I reserved for both the days we are doing Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon.

We don't normally get there right at opening - say 45min-hour after (11am or so) …. and we have had difficulty finding a decent spot to sit (last time in July it was almost impossible to find a good chair). Being that they aren't a major cost like the Polar Patios. $50 for piece of mind will have a great spot (a little more secured to being in a roped off area) and couple towels.... yea for us its a good idea. Unfortunately there are 5 of us - so hopefully they don't give my youngest a hard time as she won't have bracelet for the roped off area (since its 4 people 4 chairs). But we are never all 5 at the chairs it wasn't worth getting 2 sets.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter