Extending tickets vs using credit

We are cancelling our June trip. And likely rebooking for late April early May.
Just looking at fall dates and the tickets are all more expensive than what we purchased except a week in mid September. That seems odd as our dates were not the cheapest dates of June.
And you can bet your last dollar that they will increase prices for next April so you will pay more automatically even if the dates were the same price category.

And you can bet your last dollar that they will increase prices for next April so you will pay more automatically even if the dates were the same price category.

This would be contrary to what most Disney bloggers are expecting. They are expecting rates to freeze or most likely decline because people are suffering financially and Disney will need to entice the "average" guest to come because Disney makes their most money off the "average non-Disney lifer" guest.

The best article I read on this was at Disney Tourist Blog.

Does anyone know how the credit works?
I think we just let our tickets get passed their use date without using them (parks probably won't be open anyway). Then they're worth what we paid for them (or what they cost even if we paid less, not sure). And we can use the money to repurchase tickets in the future. But we could buy less days, or a different type of ticket right? We currently have 9 day park hoppers with water park. But they have made changes to the ticket structure since we purchased in January, and could very likely make changes again. Also curious if the credit can be used to buy Halloween party tickets or after hour events, or if the credit can only be used to buy regular day tickets. Is there a good link for this information, I didn't find one.

This would be contrary to what most Disney bloggers are expecting. They are expecting rates to freeze or most likely decline because people are suffering financially and Disney will need to entice the "average" guest to come because Disney makes their most money off the "average non-Disney lifer" guest.

I have seen a lot of articles about this too. It is very likely that Disney will restructure ticketing again once they have all the parks reopen under mostly normal circumstances. Initially I do no think they'll have trouble reaching capacity as capacity will be limited, but as the restrictions are removed and things normal out there could be issues as the economy is likely to still be struggling.

If I am wrong someone please correct me because I am only going off the text and have not directly experienced ticket credit in the past. Essentially your unused tickets become a "gift card" for future use. I am unsure if that future use can also be packages or just tickets. That "gift card" can be used to purchase any type of tickets until the balance is gone.

Does anyone know how the credit works?
I think we just let our tickets get passed their use date without using them (parks probably won't be open anyway). Then they're worth what we paid for them (or what they cost even if we paid less, not sure). And we can use the money to repurchase tickets in the future. But we could buy less days, or a different type of ticket right? We currently have 9 day park hoppers with water park. But they have made changes to the ticket structure since we purchased in January, and could very likely make changes again. Also curious if the credit can be used to buy Halloween party tickets or after hour events, or if the credit can only be used to buy regular day tickets. Is there a good link for this information, I didn't find one.
Never-used tickets can be held for a credit towards an "upgrade." You should be able to change them yourself on MDE before they expire, or by calling. Once the tickets pass their expiration date, you may not be able to access through MDE and will have to call. If you have tickets with a start date during the closure, those will automatically extend expiration to Dec. 15, 2020 once your original dates pass.

The credit can be used to "upgrade" -- WDW's definition of upgrade is 1 ticket that costs same or more than the value of the 1 original ticket/credit -- a 1-for-1 basis. So the new ticket can have more days or fewer days, different entitlements (hopper, plus, etc.). Expect to pay the difference if the new ticket costs more; no refund if the new ticket is valued less than the original ticket. Generally speaking, you would not want to use a 9-day PH+ credit for a party or after hours ticket because of the difference in value. You'd want to purchase another multi-day theme park ticket of similar or greater value.

Never-used tickets can be held for a credit towards an "upgrade." You should be able to change them yourself on MDE before they expire, or by calling. Once the tickets pass their expiration date, you may not be able to access through MDE and will have to call. If you have tickets with a start date during the closure, those will automatically extend expiration to Dec. 15, 2020 once your original dates pass.

The credit can be used to "upgrade" -- WDW's definition of upgrade is 1 ticket that costs same or more than the value of the 1 original ticket/credit -- a 1-for-1 basis. So the new ticket can have more days or fewer days, different entitlements (hopper, plus, etc.). Expect to pay the difference if the new ticket costs more; no refund if the new ticket is valued less than the original ticket. Generally speaking, you would not want to use a 9-day PH+ credit for a party or after hours ticket because of the difference in value. You'd want to purchase another multi-day theme park ticket of similar or greater value.
Thank you. So the credit is not really monetary. We purchased 6 tickets for $X and would need to purchase 6 tickets again of equal or greater value. We are not provided a monetary equivalent to purchase tickets as we choose. That is good to know, but a bit disappointing.

Thank you. So the credit is not really monetary. We purchased 6 tickets for $X and would need to purchase 6 tickets again of equal or greater value. We are not provided a monetary equivalent to purchase tickets as we choose. That is good to know, but a bit disappointing.
Each ticket does have a monetary value, equal to what WDW sold the same ticket at the time you purchased it. The new ticket will need to have a monetary value (cost) higher than the credit from the old ticket. But the credit cannot be exchanged for cash or gift card or any other item; it's a 1:1 ticket "upgrade."

You should be able to change them yourself on MDE before they expire, or by calling. Once the tickets pass their expiration date, you may not be able to access through MDE and will have to call.
Have you tried to do this lately? I did it in Feb when I added a day to a previously purchased ticket, but now I'm not seeing the same options and I need to modify a ticket from August to October. I'm wondering if it's just me or if it's a change in the app.

That would be great and I agree, the “typical” family is where they make the most but yr after yr the typical family seems to ge priced out more and more too.
We shall see but price increase, cut, remain the same I have and will continue to feel they should give anyone who had date tickets and forced to cancel at least a yr to use them at no increase from the time they open.
there are too many people who can’t just reboot for multi reasons like jobs to say a few months is satisfactory imo

Have you tried to do this lately? I did it in Feb when I added a day to a previously purchased ticket, but now I'm not seeing the same options and I need to modify a ticket from August to October. I'm wondering if it's just me or if it's a change in the app.
I looked at it today online (computer not app), and it was available. The dates were just all more expensive. I don't know if that is a real cost difference in days. Seems odd that September is so much more than June. I'm wondering if it is factoring in that we bought the tickets from a 3rd party.

I looked at it today online (computer not app), and it was available. The dates were just all more expensive. I don't know if that is a real cost difference in days. Seems odd that September is so much more than June. I'm wondering if it is factoring in that we bought the tickets from a 3rd party.

When did you buy your tickets? It very likely is factoring in the price increase that occurred since then.

When did you buy your tickets? It very likely is factoring in the price increase that occurred since then.
I was under the impression that multi day tickets stayed the same this year and parkhopper only went up $5 per ticket. However, after a little looking into it I suppose it is possible you are right. Since the date prices fluctuate it is difficult for blog annalysts to know for sure if the price did or did not increase. DisneyTourist blog simply said the upper and lower prices remained unchanged, but that some had reported it appeared that some dates did increase within the range.

I was under the impression that multi day tickets stayed the same this year and parkhopper only went up $5 per ticket. However, after a little looking into it I suppose it is possible you are right. Since the date prices fluctuate it is difficult for blog annalysts to know for sure if the price did or did not increase. DisneyTourist blog simply said the upper and lower prices remained unchanged, but that some had reported it appeared that some dates did increase within the range.
There was a price increase this year in February. It was across the board to all tickets, but the biggest price increase was on 1-4 day park tickets, regardless of whether or not park hopper was added.

There was a price increase this year in February. It was across the board to all tickets, but the biggest price increase was on 1-4 day park tickets, regardless of whether or not park hopper was added.
We have 9 day tickets.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter