Extending tickets vs using credit

We will agree to disagree, You paid for tickets for X dates and Disney is giving you full credit paid to use them at a later date,

Nothing Disney will ever do will please everyone, and work for everyone, I understand your frustration, but I am one who simply doesn’t believe guests are owed extra during this above and beyond what they paid,
I don't think anyone's owed anything "extra" -- just a generous extension on the deadline so they can get what they paid for at a convenient time.

I doubt they extend it past Dec. I don’t think it so generous at all and think it is complete BS if they don’t offer to give you the exact ticket for the exact price on your next visit or for at least a solid extension time. (Same with room price)

There are manyyyyy people who save for years to be able to go (and/or can only go for a select couple of weeks out of the year) often the difference between being able to go or not is a discount code on the resort and other savings such as tickets or dining.
To say to those people you can come back but we are not honoring the discount code we offered you is disappointing imo. Not to mention that there could be a rate increase on top of that to increase the cost even more.

https://blogmickey.com/2020/05/disneyland-paris-cancels-reservations-through-july-14th/ps - Those saying things like Disney needing to getting back to making money and can’t just let people use their tickets or honor a discount are missing the fact that without these people they are not making money. Oh and it can be done if they want, seems like they are able to pull it off in Paris

I doubt they extend it past Dec. I don’t think it so generous at all and think it is complete BS if they don’t offer to give you the exact ticket for the exact price on your next visit or for at least a solid extension time. (Same with room price)

There are manyyyyy people who save for years to be able to go (and/or can only go for a select couple of weeks out of the year) often the difference between being able to go or not is a discount code on the resort and other savings such as tickets or dining.
To say to those people you can come back but we are not honoring the discount code we offered you is disappointing imo. Not to mention that there could be a rate increase on top of that to increase the cost even more.

https://blogmickey.com/2020/05/disneyland-paris-cancels-reservations-through-july-14th/ps - Those saying things like Disney needing to getting back to making money and can’t just let people use their tickets or honor a discount are missing the fact that without these people they are not making money. Oh and it can be done if they want, seems like they are able to pull it off in Paris
You are missing the fact that coronavirus and these closures are not the fault of Disney, just like they are not the fault of the guest. IMO, Disney is doing what they can from a goodwill gesture/customer service perspective. Its an entirely different situation if Disney did something wrong or closed on their own accord, but that's not the case here. They are still a for profit company. This is completely unprecedented for everyone - consumers and businesses alike. Consumers shouldn't have to give up everything, but neither should businesses. There has to be something in between to help the guest, but without sending the business into a financial tailspin. In the case of tickets, throwing some of the remaining year's potential ticket revenue out the window to give people the option to use theirs by the end of the year (something that is not normally permitted) is the compromise.

All that aside, we know IT is not Disney's strong suit. Imagine the nightmare of trying to track every guest's canceled vacation and all the different prices at the individual points in time. Throughout all of this, we have seen businesses making blanket decisions on how to handle everyone impacted and that's likely because its the only way it can be done because it affects so many people.

Lastly, the only obligation Disney has during this time is to make customers whole. They are doing that by fully refunding people. I understand that people save for years to go, but those people are not going to be out any money. It doesn't lessen the disappointment, but they are financially whole.

I read somewhere and bc am trying to verify if it’s true or not. That these credits can only be exchanged at a Disney guest services so basically no 60 day fastpasses would be available ? I’d rather eat the cost then attend a week at Disney without making fastpasses
Anyone know anything about this?
thanks

QUOTE="Sandisw, post: 61856315, member: 217917"]
To be fair, they didn’t have to do anything, Tickets retain the value paid so they could have just said, when you rebook, you will simply pay the difference,

They did not so the way I look at it, them not charging extra for date based trips between March and the end of the year was generous.

Again, IMO, Disney doesn’t owe guests extras...and they did indeed give us that with this extension.
[/QUOTE]

You are missing the fact that coronavirus and these closures are not the fault of Disney, just like they are not the fault of the guest. IMO, Disney is doing what they can from a goodwill gesture/customer service perspective. Its an entirely different situation if Disney did something wrong or closed on their own accord, but that's not the case here. They are still a for profit company. This is completely unprecedented for everyone - consumers and businesses alike. Consumers shouldn't have to give up everything, but neither should businesses. There has to be something in between to help the guest, but without sending the business into a financial tailspin. In the case of tickets, throwing some of the remaining year's potential ticket revenue out the window to give people the option to use theirs by the end of the year (something that is not normally permitted) is the compromise.

All that aside, we know IT is not Disney's strong suit. Imagine the nightmare of trying to track every guest's canceled vacation and all the different prices at the individual points in time. Throughout all of this, we have seen businesses making blanket decisions on how to handle everyone impacted and that's likely because its the only way it can be done because it affects so many people.

Lastly, the only obligation Disney has during this time is to make customers whole. They are doing that by fully refunding people. I understand that people save for years to go, but those people are not going to be out any money. It doesn't lessen the disappointment, but they are financially whole.
I agree it is not Disney’s fault and is unprecedented.
I am not missing anything and even if I was, it would be in Disney’s best interest in the long run to honor the prices people paid.
as a “for profit” business, they will lose more money by having a guest not come vs honoring a price

it would be of nooo trouble whats so ever to honor a persons price by allowing them to rebook for next Spring/summer with the same discount code and price that they are canceling at.
if their IT dept is that bad, they can not figure out how to make that work then they should take some of the many millions they make each day and upgrade the entire dept.

I read somewhere and bc am trying to verify if it’s true or not. That these credits can only be exchanged at a Disney guest services so basically no 60 day fastpasses would be available ? I’d rather eat the cost then attend a week at Disney without making fastpasses
Anyone know anything about this?
If your tickets are not yet expired, you should be able to change them yourself in MDE. That includes tickets during the closure which have automatically been extended to mid-Dec. occasionally, there is a glitch and the “modify” option doesn’t show, in which case you would need to call. But it can be done in advance.

if you have tickets that already expired, you likely cannot see them anymore in MDE, but WDW can and you can call to have the tickets changed.

it would be in Disney’s best interest in the long run to honor the prices people paid.
as a “for profit” business, they will lose more money by having a guest not come vs honoring a price
I agree it would be in their best interest from a customer service perspective, but not from a financial perspective. I am confident Disney has run analytics and made their decisions based on models. And either way, they still could adjust their policies as they see fit. It makes more sense to start slow and then expand as needed, which is what we have seen Southwest Airlines do. I also believe they will not lose a significant number of guests simply because they may have to pay a nominal difference in ticket price. People who want to go will go, even if begrudgingly.

You both have made your points very clear. It is time to move on and stop posting the same feelings repeatedly
You realize this is a discussion forum, right? If the actual moderator of this forum has a problem with our civil discussion, I am sure he or she would lock the thread.

This is a discussion post but nothing is being discussed just simply rehashed. No new points have been made so why keep repeating. @dmband makes the point it isn't generous/enough and that is easy for them to do, others (including me) have said Disney doesn't owe you anything and didn't even have to extend the tickets to begin with, @dmband responds that we aren't right

This has nothing to do with Mods, it is simply just a comment to move on from this topic because it is not going anywhere. If you don't believe me read this thread and any other threads that people have responded to @dmband it is all the same and it just on repeat at this point.

This is a discussion post but nothing is being discussed just simply rehashed. No new points have been made so why keep repeating. @dmband makes the point it isn't generous/enough and that is easy for them to do, others (including me) have said Disney doesn't owe you anything and didn't even have to extend the tickets to begin with, @dmband responds that we aren't right

This has nothing to do with Mods, it is simply just a comment to move on from this topic because it is not going anywhere. If you don't believe me read this thread and any other threads that people have responded to @dmband it is all the same and it just on repeat at this point.
I try to respond to new points made or add points that haven't been mentioned. I don't see it as rehashing... yet.

I agree it would be in their best interest from a customer service perspective, but not from a financial perspective. I am confident Disney has run analytics and made their decisions based on models. And either way, they still could adjust their policies as they see fit. It makes more sense to start slow and then expand as needed, which is what we have seen Southwest Airlines do. I also believe they will not lose a significant number of guests simply because they may have to pay a nominal difference in ticket price. People who want to go will go, even if begrudgingly.

You realize this is a discussion forum, right? If the actual moderator of this forum has a problem with our civil discussion, I am sure he or she would lock the thread.

yawn
I try to respond to new points made or add points that haven't been mentioned. I don't see it as rehashing... yet.
👍

Just because my opinion differs from yours doesn't mean it should be disrespected. As PP, the moderator, mentioned, say your piece then move along.
FWIW
I wasn’t yawning you, I was yawning the person telling us to not discuss topics on a discussion board.
you got the “thumbs up”

I find this very frustrating. We purchased park hopping water park tickets. There is a possibility the parks could open without water parks. So we will have paid for something we can't use or have to change our dates to wait for the water parks to open. And then there are the attractions that may not be able to open due to close quarters and the cancelling of entertainment and meet and greets. I understand why Disney didn't just refund ticket purchases as they're already being financially hurt, but it doens't make things any less frustrating for guests. We bought our tickets expecting X, Y, and Z to be available at the parks and we're looking at only X being available. And that is all assuming the parks even open by our trip, which they very well may not.

I find this very frustrating. We purchased park hopping water park tickets. There is a possibility the parks could open without water parks. So we will have paid for something we can't use or have to change our dates to wait for the water parks to open. And then there are the attractions that may not be able to open due to close quarters and the cancelling of entertainment and meet and greets. I understand why Disney didn't just refund ticket purchases as they're already being financially hurt, but it doens't make things any less frustrating for guests. We bought our tickets expecting X, Y, and Z to be available at the parks and we're looking at only X being available. And that is all assuming the parks even open by our trip, which they very well may not.
Another example why I feel they should offer a “real” extension period (Like 1.5 yrs) that gives full credit of ticket purchased to be used without upcharge

Another example why I feel they should offer a “real” extension period (Like 1.5 yrs) that gives full credit of ticket purchased to be used without upcharge

You can arbitrarily pick any date and all it a "real" extension. I find 9 months is pretty darned real.

Also going by your theory if people move to a cheaper date they shouldn't get a discount from Disney. They should just move the dates, and be happy.

You can arbitrarily pick any date and all it a "real" extension. I find 9 months is pretty darned real.
But it's not 9 additional months because the parks aren't open for those 9 months. Assuming the parks open by July sometime (and that's still a big IF), that's only about 5 months to use the extension. You think it's reasonable that all the people from April, May, June, and half of March should be able to turn around and get PTO approved, book affordable flights, arrange affordable lodging, and make the trip, within that 5 month period - along with all the other people who were already planning trips from July through mid-December? Given how full the resorts and parks are anyway, and the reduction in capacity that's coming, all those people probably wouldn't be able to fit into the parks, even if they wanted to. I am also from a state that has a travel restriction to Florida, so until that's lifted, I would need 3 weeks - the first two for quarantine before I could go to the parks.

Plus, people make travel choices based on price all the time. For many families, if the flight, hotel, and ticket deals don't align, they don't go. It's easy to tell someone just to suck it up and pay more, but for a lot of people, changing dates means paying more anyway because there's a good chance they lost a promotional/discount rate for their resort. And if someone was making a trip to stay on DVC points, they're really screwed. They might have booked a studio or 1BR at their home resort at 11 months, and now they're short points because those lower-point rooms are gone or there's just no availability for the remaining weeks this year. So people get the choice of paying more for their tickets next year or paying more for their lodging trying to go before December 15. Either way, you're pricing people out.

Also going by your theory if people move to a cheaper date they shouldn't get a discount from Disney. They should just move the dates, and be happy.

People moving to a cheaper date DON'T get a discount from Disney. If you buy tickets for Christmas or Easter, cancel, and reschedule for the following August, you don't get the additional money back because you're going at a cheaper time. Disney always charges more if you move your tickets to a more expensive date, and keeps the money if you move to a cheaper date.

There are lots of people who can (or will) only go when school is out of session. Many of them paid high ticket prices to go during spring break or Easter this year, and now to reschedule within the extension they really only have late July (if it opens) or possibly part of August (depending on how early/late their districts start). None of them are getting refunds to go at a less desirable time. In fairness, they should get to go during a similar time in 2021.

We are cancelling our June trip. And likely rebooking for late April early May.
Just looking at fall dates and the tickets are all more expensive than what we purchased except a week in mid September. That seems odd as our dates were not the cheapest dates of June.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter