Express Pass, do we need it or should we get an anual pass? (foreign tourists)

What option should I choose?

• 7 nights Royal Pacific + 7 nights Sapphire Falls + seasonal pass

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • 14 nights Sapphire Falls + premier pass

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 14 nights Cabana Bay + premier pass

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters

Dingdingding

Mouseketeer
I hope to get some advise on the following:
We're a Dutch couple going to both WDW and URO in September of next year. We have 21 days (British) WDW-tickets and we are planning to buy a Universal seasons pass for the lack of any other option, because we will stay for 10 nights at AKL (with Dining Plan), 7 nights at Royal Pacific and 7 nights at Sapphire Falls. We like the theming of Sapphire Falls the most but Royal Pacific has the Express Pass option so we decided on doing both half of the time. We're planning to use our first 10 days to visit only WDW and use the next two weeks for both WDW and URO. We did this because the Universal hotels are cheaper than the Disney ones.

But now my main question:
Would this be a good plan or should we opt for a cheaper hotel (like two weeks at Sapphire Falls (a difference of 500 Euros) or Cabana Bay (a difference of 900 euros) and use part of the savings to buy a premier pass instead of a seasonal one (so we will still have express pass after 4PM). The difference in annual passes would amount to about 500 Euros for us. That would mean we would only break even on the Sapphire falls + premier passes option. On the other hand, we plan to buy a VIP Experience and MyUniversalPhotos and plan to eat on the resort so maybe it would be cheaper due to the discounts. I hope that more experienced Universal-goers could shine their lights on this. Are there things I'm missing?

It will be our once in a lifetime trip. With that I don't mean we plan on never returning but this will be more of a splurge vacation with a bit more luxurious hotels and a longer stay of 3.5 weeks. It has an estimated cost of 12000 Euros (close to 14000 USD), the equivalent of 6 monthly paychecks for hotel, themepark tickets, food, flights, parking and car rental all included. That means we will use the annual pass only on this trip and won't be using it later in the year.

We will be about 3.5 weeks at the parks (with a few pooldays and a trip to Kennedy Space Center in the middle).

It all comes down to price. You'll actually have to sit down and do all the math. All of the hotels are really nice, the only real difference being room size. September is a pretty slow month, so express passes aren't really going to be necessary. You will get a room discount with the annual pass but because you are staying for 7 days in each, the stay more save more price will probably be cheaper than the annual pass rate.

Personally, I would try out a few hotels. 14 days at one hotel is too much, in my opinion. You also might want to book a family suite at Cabana Bay just because it will get you more room. The Sapphire Falls rooms are quite small and a bigger room for a while will probably be a nice change.

Mid September will have crowds on the weekends due to hhn

Staying at the hotel that allows the free unlimited ep is worth it

If you are staying at hotels for 3.5 weeks, do all the rides in the parks while you stay at rpr

When you relocate to Cbay or Sfalls. Use early entry and do rides in potter in the early entry period

You can use the single rider lines anytime
You will miss the unlimited ep if park lines are long

Saturday and Sunday can be crowded once hhn begins

Just a note that the specials they do for the photo packages are likely cheaper than whatever discount you would get from the passes. You can buy one of the specials any time next year, and wait til Sept. to use it.

Do a rough idea of what you may spend on restaurants as well, to figure that discount from the better passes into your calculations. Although you may hit passholder appreciation time next Sept. if it follows this year's pattern.

Really, it comes down to which way you want to spend your money. The Express Passes would be nice, but with that many days certainly aren't a necessity.

I noticed you mentioned pool days. How about instead of Sapphire Falls stay at Cabana Bay? The pools are amazing and they have a lazy river. Also if you like water parks Volcano Bay is right next to Cabana Bay. Cabana Bay can be a bit cheaper than Sapphire Falls depending on what rooms you choose. The difference in price might pay for a day at Volcano Bay. I like your plan of a stay at a Disney Resort first then Universal hotels. A stay at a hotel with express passes is a good idea. We are staying at Royal Pacific and Sapphire Falls this year but did Cabana Bay last year for 7 days and loved it.

Thank you all for the advice!

If I had to pick hotels purely based on the hotel instead and not the amenities it would be Cabana Bay and Sapphire Falls. I'd pick Royal Pacific purely for the express passes. I'm considering to switch the two hotels if possible and add a night or two at Cabana or switch Sapphire Falls for Cabana entirely but just the regular rooms as we don't need a large room that much.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter