Excessive Room Checks?

If you use the strap I mentioned earlier, any CM trying to use a special key for the deadbolt would break the key off in the lock before the strap gave way if you put it on correctly.
I am getting it. Thank you for the info.

I can't imagine paying an arm and a leg for the AKL and Poly (my upcoming stay) and having people not respect privacy. This has NEVER happened at any other hotel I have ever stayed at. The Do Not Disturb sign has always been respected. It's almost perverse to walk into a hotel room uninvited. Let alone using a special tool to open a lock :scared:

Also, to me if you are comfortable enough leaving a minor in a room alone they are old enough to deal with the room check. You agree to the room checks when you book with Disney. Throwing the latch on the door will keep anyone from just walking in too.
But apparently that latch can be opened.

I’m curious as to why Disney is doing this. We’ve traveled quite a bit this summer, Marriott, Wyndham, Hilton. We have never had a “room check”
Ya I’ve never encountered it at any other hotel including universal hotels. I know in the beginning they said it was because of the Vegas shooting, but even Vegas hotels don’t do this I’ve stayed after that happened.

Disturbing. Imagine someone just walking in during any type of "couple's time"?

Or any other state of undress?

How is this even legal? To jimmy a door open?

You’ve definitely set off someone’s key word alert and they will be here shortly to tell you how renting a hotel room is different than a home and affords you no rights and you agree to this when you check in. The reality is they’ve either paid off guests in return for silence for Disney’s past transgressions, or nobody has been walked in on naked. I’m going with door #1. The lawsuit just needs to find someone who stand on principle instead of taking the pay off for this to end.

You’ve definitely set off someone’s key word alert and they will be here shortly to tell you how renting a hotel room is different than a home and affords you no rights and you agree to this when you check in. The reality is they’ve either paid off guests in return for silence for Disney’s past transgressions, or nobody has been walked in on naked. I’m going with door #1. The lawsuit just needs to find someone who stand on principle instead of taking the pay off for this to end.
I actually feel sorry for the CMs that have to do this. It can't be comfortable. Well except for the ones that can't wait to walk in on a child or teen. There are sick people out there.

We have been disturbed many times on many trips regardless of using the DND sign. I have medical issues that necessitate a rest or nap in order to be able to enjoy an evening out. These door knocks have been so invasive and I have tried to talk with CM's on the ground to no avail.

In modifying an upcoming stay at Poly, I asked the CM on the phone about door knocks and that person said it actually happened to the CM when staying at WDW. The CM was taking a shower when someone walked in. It was upsetting to say the least. The CM suggested going to the front desk and asking them to schedule the room check when you are likely to be out of the room. I plan to do that in a few weeks in hopes that works.

I will note that the story told is very similar to a story early on in this thread that I remember. Maybe it was that CM? We are DVC and have spent a ton of $$ since 1996 as members and before we bought. Never did we expect that our well deserved vacation would be disrupted every day causing anxiety in anticipation of the knock on the door.

We will be talking to our DVC Guide next month on site and I will certainly reiterate my concern with this daily intrusion. I doubt he can do anything, however they need to know from all sides how invasive it feels from members and guests.

Would a sticky note on the door telling them, “I’m taking a nap. NO knocking please” make any difference?

During what I call our traumatic stay of 2020 in AKL, they threatened to break in while my husband was on the toilet (we had received phone calls and been yelled at a bunch at this point because we really thought they were just trying to clean the room and we didn't want them to), so I closed the bathroom door and let them in, and they were VERY UPSET that the bathroom door was closed. I was like, dude, do you want to see my husband's junk that badly??? It looked like they actually considered it, but instead waited in our room for him to finish so they could get a look at the (now stinky :P) bathroom. They made a point to check inside the shower and everything.

We stayed in Boardwalk Villas in 2021 (almost didn't, with how much they had harassed us daily during our AKL stay...) with no issues, and then one night before a cruise at AoA last year with no issues. The only real difference was that we had declined housekeeping in 2020 because, yknow, Covid, and I had also done virtual check-in that year and used DND sign whenever we were in the room.

Now I make sure to accept all housekeeping and check-in in person so they know I haven't been kidnapped by my own husband (I look really young for my age, thanks genetic lottery and sunscreen!). I also don't bother with the DND signs anymore, as I think it flags you and makes them need to see what you're hiding?

We also have problems at the airport with airport officials asking me if I know my husband/if I'm aware that he's following me, now that I'm thinking about it. I guess he has really bad RBF???? He doesn't look particularly older than me, either, so I dunno what we're doing to tick everyone's HT radars. Airports stress me tf out, so maybe I look scared haha.

Would a sticky note on the door telling them, “I’m taking a nap. NO knocking please” make any difference?
I know another disboarder who said his family has had luck with this tactic, or at least the knocks were when they were out. I have a pack of sticky notes in my somewhat packed bag, so plan to try this too. We all know why they do this, however there should be some give and take. Yes, we are DVC, but other guests are paying up to 1K a night for a similar villa. We will see what happens!

The only time that I was stressed out about room checks was in March of 2020. We were at GF and had front row seats to WDW closing down. After watching pictures of empty store shelves and realizing that we legit needed TP when we got home; I resorted to helping myself to TP on the housekeeping carts. 😬 Thankfully, our security checks were more talking about WDW closing than finding my horde of TP in my suitcase. 😂

Pretty sure we still have a few 2-ply rolls in our guest bathroom.....

Random side note: We were the last people in our building and they kept forgetting and locking the doors so we couldn't get in.

Please do! Maybe it will help with the realization that some people do indeed have very good experiences with Disney.
If you are out most of the day, it is less likely you will get the knock. For those of us who spend more time in the villa it is the reality of the era. With 50+ years of WDW, times have certainly changed, but for those of us it has happened to, it is very unexpected to get that sharp knock on the door. It is never a convenient time, either.

Please do! Maybe it will help with the realization that some people do indeed have very good experiences with Disney.

People who habitually go into upbeat threads and tell everyone why they are wrong and how bad things are, are just as bad as people who habitually go into threads where people are commiserating and tell them why they are wrong and how good things are. Do you not see the similarities?

People who habitually go into upbeat threads and tell everyone why they are wrong and how bad things are, are just as bad as people who habitually go into threads where people are commiserating and tell them why they are wrong and how good things are. Do you not see the similarities?
Don't feed the trolls.

During what I call our traumatic stay of 2020 in AKL, they threatened to break in while my husband was on the toilet (we had received phone calls and been yelled at a bunch at this point because we really thought they were just trying to clean the room and we didn't want them to), so I closed the bathroom door and let them in, and they were VERY UPSET that the bathroom door was closed. I was like, dude, do you want to see my husband's junk that badly??? It looked like they actually considered it, but instead waited in our room for him to finish so they could get a look at the (now stinky :P) bathroom. They made a point to check inside the shower and everything.
What if it would have been a teenage girl in the bathroom? I actually would call 911 if someone came into the room and demanded they stay put until I was done using the bathroom.

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest