Excessive Room Checks?

I stayed at Coronado 2 weeks ago and had a few room checks when I was just returning from the pool, which is annoying as I was gone literally all day but whatever. I can move past that. What bothered me more was that they did a room check while I was in the shower and even despite me saying I was in the shower, they insisted on coming into the bathroom anyway. So I had to quickly throw on clothes despite being soaking wet....just for them to look in the bathroom for about 5 seconds and then they left.
TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE! I hope you reported it and if not do it asap. That is way over the line IMO.

Just talking to DH before he goes to work and this thread brings back memories of the 5 weeks we were at WDW in 2022 (two separate trips). We had so many interruptions it just threw off our vacation mojo.

It is exhausting for me to go out and about and my naps/rests are how I manage going out for an evening with my family. Door knocks may have been the final blow to the disillusionment with our grand idea for living at WDW. Our quiet time is not lazy time it is a medical strategy to help keep my pain tolerable and help with fatigue. I found I could not fall asleep waiting for that knock so even if it didn't come, the anticipation that it might was just as bad.

In 2022 we owned 10 or 12 contracts. We are now down to two. Right now, we have zero desire to go back. We dropped our AP's last year. Our 2022 trips were "practice" for retirement living at DVC for 6-8 weeks every fall or buying a home in FL. We did a 180 and are now in a new home in NH designed to meet our needs. I can rest without the anxiety of that door knock. I don't understand the utter lack of respecting the privacy of guests. With magic bands they must know where everyone is for goodness sakes! At 10K a week, that hard earned and highly anticipated time off "bubble" is pierced time and time again by the darn knock.

As a 50 year WDW veteran and 28 year DVC owner I feel pretty confident saying the dream is over for us. I can't say it is all WDW's fault as the world has changed but the bubble has been pierced and I really don't know if we will ever be back...

Can’t use the lock if a traveling companion is out at the pool or something and planning to be back soon.
Then you should expect mousekeeping or a room check. Seriously you can't lock the door for 10-15 minutes for your shower? We do it all the time. If members of the party are out they just wait the short time until they get a text saying the room is unlocked.

Dave

Then you should expect mousekeeping or a room check. Seriously you can't lock the door for 10-15 minutes for your shower? We do it all the time. If members of the party are out they just wait the short time until they get a text saying the room is unlocked.

Dave

People CAN adapt, of course, the way you suggest. People have been eating the loss to their privacy for decades in the name of "for your own safety". At some point, people have to draw the line. Further, what works for you doesn't make it the solution, it makes it the solution for you. I have young children, and putting the latch on does nothing to prevent their naps from being ruined- which it is, very often. Heck, my naps as an adult of 3 young children has also been ruined many times. Many of us go on vacation to not have to deal with the same crap in life we deal with at home, and being able to lock our down and have a mindful few hours of undisturbed peace shouldn't be such a difficult ask. Perspective is probably the thing humans have trouble with the most.

Here's what I wrote Disney Guest Services this morning. I will update this post with their reply when I receive it...

Good Morning, My Husband and I who are Annual Passholders recently completed our split-stay June 2-9th at Disney Beach Club Resort and Boulder Ridge DVC (we rented points). During our 2-5th stay at Disney Beach Club Resort we encountered excessive room checks. During our 5-9th stay at Boulder Ridge we experienced full walk-in security checks. I would like to elaborate further. June 2nd we checked into Disney Beach Club Resort. We switched rooms since it was my 50th birthday and we were put in a Juliet Balcony and I really wanted a full balcony or patio for this special occasion. We switched rooms and within minutes of opening our door - Housekeeping knocked on the door asking if we needed anything. My Husband declined housekeeping as we had literally checked in minutes ago. He asked for extra toilet paper. Then, while my Husband was in the bathroom someone selling DVC Memberships to Riviera knocked on our hotel door. He said he had a free gift. I thought this was a security check that I had heard about. It was not - why are they soliciting DVC Memberships at the Beach Club going door-to-door? I was very upset! Then we had an actual security check. Ridiculous! Later that day security came around again. They told me close the door, now open the door, close the door, now open. Boulder Ridge DVC June 5-9 it had gotten uncomfortably hot outside. We decided to stay around the resort until 5pm or so each day to wait until it cooled to under 100 degrees outside. We were visited by security coming fully into our room, asking our plans. We told him we were waiting for it to cool down/trying to stay cool. Each day we had to have security come fully into our room while we were trying to rest, watch tv and relax. I understand Disney's policy and why Disney unfortunately has to have these room checks but I felt they were invasive and excessive. If this is the norm, to be interupted constantly on vacation, we will have to consider staying off property to get some peace. Thank you.

We got afternoon room checks most of the days we were there. I don't understand the complaining, it's not that big of a deal.
It's been the policy for years so you just have to deal with it. On my list of Disney complaints it wouldn't be anywhere near the top.

At some point, people have to draw the line. Further, what works for you doesn't make it the solution, it makes it the solution for you. I have young children, and putting the latch on does nothing to prevent their naps from being ruined- which it is, very often.
I never indicated is was "the solution" for everything but it does resolve the shower privacy issue. When exactly do you think Disney should service your room?

Some guests complain about knocks before 11 AM and during afternoon naps. Maybe Disney should deploy an AI that will actually monitor your activity in the room and schedule a robot to clean your room during the random period that you chose to leave for a few minutes during the day.

Dave

We were visited by security coming fully into our room, asking our plans.
I think your party had inadvertently raised some red flags and were scrutinized/monitored by Disney. I'm sorry this happened to you, but your story made me feel safer staying at their resorts.

We got afternoon room checks most of the days we were there. I don't understand the complaining, it's not that big of a deal.
It's been the policy for years so you just have to deal with it. On my list of Disney complaints it wouldn't be anywhere near the top.
It's not the room-checks per say. It's the fact that we were disturbed 4 times in one day starting at Beach Club Resort. Then full walk-in security checks each day of our stay at Boulder Ridge DVC. Read my email again, Someone going door-to-door to sell DVC's? Is that really neccessary? Housekeeping and a security check coming right when we had *just* checked into our room and were starting our vacation. *This is my final post responding to people who say it's no big deal, what's the big deal etc. Tell that to people who have been walked in on while changing, while in the shower etc. I have never found this to happen at other resorts outside the Disney bubble- EVER!

Did you happen to talk to the front desk (in person) about it?

Kinda curious how they say to your face, “yes, we have the absolute right to walk in and see your naked behind. Or front”

TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE! I hope you reported it and if not do it asap. That is way over the line IMO.
I did and I also included it in the survey that was emailed to me about my resort stay (not like they give a crap about that feedback anyway lol). I tolerate a lot of Disney's little.....quirks with how they run their parks and resorts and the room checks do not bother me typically but come on.....at least do the less than a minute check when I'm NOT showering. I was in my room at around 3-4 pm and Disney probably expects most guests to be out of their room by then. I think what bothered me the most was that the person doing the check was low key rude about the whole thing. Like they didn't care that this was an issue.

I never indicated is was "the solution" for everything but it does resolve the shower privacy issue. When exactly do you think Disney should service your room?

Some guests complain about knocks before 11 AM and during afternoon naps. Maybe Disney should deploy an AI that will actually monitor your activity in the room and schedule a robot to clean your room during the random period that you chose to leave for a few minutes during the day.

Dave
They already do have "AI" in the room with Alexa, the thermostat is motion sensing and who knows what else. The funny thing is - during our Beach Club Resort stay we were out of the room a lot and never once was our bed made or trash taken out! We did not have a sign on our door at Beach Club. They just loved knocking on our door constantly. LOL. My Husband had his Kindle stolen at Polynesian of all places. It was our housekeeping who kept asking our plans: "Are you going to see the fireworks?, what park are you visiting today" I submitted a report and they never did find his Kindle.
Yes I guess we alerted them somehow, though I can't understand why? We have been Annual Passholders for a decade or more, own Disney stock and have visited Disney more times than I can count. Whatever, this has clearly struck a nerve. Some are understanding of what happened and some not. I will reinterate that we expected 1 room check per day. Not multiple per day. Certainly not 4 in one day!

The really funny part to me - is that I posted this post just to see what others experiences were. Also, so I could get enough posts in order to post pictures of my recent Birthday cake made by the Yacht & Beach Club Bakery (who did an outstanding job!) If you read all my posts - I am not "Anti-Disney" they do a lot right!

I don’t mind a daily check. I understand the reasoning behind it. But there are times where it just isn’t a good time to be doing it. On our last trip we stayed in a one bedroom at Bay Lake tower. Dh and I were in bed, trying to take an afternoon nap before evening hours. Our 2 kids were watching tv in the living room. I woke up and the housekeeper was in the living room talking to the kids and then proceeded to come in the bedroom. We did have the sign but DH is bad about locking the door so that’s our fault. But I would think once the housekeeper walks into a room with just 2 kids, maybe they should leave?

Stayed at the Yacht Club last week and did not have this experience at all. Housekeeping was excellent and we were never bothered by security. If they came in it was while we were out of the room.
Same here. I've been at the Yacht Club since Thursday. Housekeeping has been excellent! No one has attempted to enter the room while it was occupied. Checking out today, unfortunately. :sad:

I don’t mind the room checks. We’ve been in our room (and sometimes in bed) plenty of times when someone has walked in. But insisting they have access to the washroom when someone is showering is crossing the line.

Housekeeping and a security check coming right when we had *just* checked into our room and were starting our vacation.
And how would housekeeping and security know that you just checked into your room? They don't get real-time updates on guest movements or guest room door activity. They are just following a daily schedule for their assigned rooms.

I thought the housekeeping visit was helpful since your husband asked for more toilet paper.

Dave

I stayed at Coronado 2 weeks ago and had a few room checks when I was just returning from the pool, which is annoying as I was gone literally all day but whatever. I can move past that. What bothered me more was that they did a room check while I was in the shower and even despite me saying I was in the shower, they insisted on coming into the bathroom anyway. So I had to quickly throw on clothes despite being soaking wet....just for them to look in the bathroom for about 5 seconds and then they left.
This happened to me at BWV right after the marathon last year.

My friends left to explore the parks, so the door wasn't latched. Security/housekeeping? came in as I was just getting out of the shower, still delirious and exhausted. Thankfully they didn't try to enter the bathroom - they grabbed the main trash bag and left, but definitely wasn't an ideal experience.

And how would housekeeping and security know that you just checked into your room? They don't get real-time updates on guest movements or guest room door activity. They are just following a daily schedule for their assigned rooms.

I thought the housekeeping visit was helpful since your husband asked for more toilet paper.

Dave
I swore I wouldn't keep responding to these posts. But here we go...

Hi Dave,

Although we thought it highly unusual for Housekeeping to show up minutes upon checking in...
getting more toilet paper was: HELPFUL

DVC Solicitation: NOT HELPFUL and ANNOYING

Security Check: twice in the same day - ONCE UNDERSTANDABLE, TWICE ANNOYING

Kind Regards

They already do have "AI" in the room with Alexa, the thermostat is motion sensing and who knows what else. The funny thing is - during our Beach Club Resort stay we were out of the room a lot and never once was our bed made or trash taken out!
Ah that's not AI but an Amazon internet enabled aid with the Hey Disney Alexa "skill" running to assist you only after you request something from it's limited abilities.

The motion sensing thermostats have been around WDW over 20 years and yes I also hate them but they serve a limited purpose to reduce energy waste. Many guests and even housekeeping often turn down the thermostat to it's lowest setting while active in the room and then promptly forget to set it back before leaving the room.

The really funny part to me - is that I posted this post just to see what others experiences were. Also, so I could get enough posts in order to post pictures of my recent Birthday cake made by the Yacht & Beach Club Bakery
This topic as you have now seen draws out strong views on both sides since February 2018 when the Security Checks started. Most if not all tend to get closed as the threads drifts way off topic.

We have a Test Board here on the DIS where you can make test posts to up your count so you can post Pictures or use other Forum features. Test Board link: https://www.disboards.com/forums/test-board.88/

Dave

Dave

What if I told you a magical system to notify housekeeping when the room is available to clean has existed for decades? It’s called the occupied sign, which is gone, and here we are. It was such a simple yet effective solution- sign on the door? Don’t knock and see ya later. No sign on the door? Knock and come on in if nobody answers. No need for AI, just some common sense and common courtesy, neither of which are common.

As a member of DVC, I don’t need nor do I want daily housekeeping.

I think your party had inadvertently raised some red flags and were scrutinized/monitored by Disney. I'm sorry this happened to you, but your story made me feel safer staying at their resorts.
It really shouldn’t. The security check is complete theater, conducted by housekeepers and rent a cops, not actual law enforcement, that’s why other hotels don’t bother with it to this rigid degree. Expensive with little payoff. They make sure a room is entered every couple days and go about their business. The absolute only thing this accomplishes is asset protection for Disney. If they see you trashed the room they can kick you out sooner to minimize some of the damage.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter