• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Everthing you wanted to know about Uber/Lyft at WDW

Has anyone actually taken Uber Black from MCO to a WDW resort?

Everyone keeps saying cabs are cheaper, but when I do the Uber Black fare estimator vs. Mears taxi, I get $60 for the taxi, $75 for the Uber Black. But, I always include a 20% tip on Taxi Rides, so that brings it to $72 vs. $75.

I am trying to debate which to do. Safety is my #1 priority, as I will be a solo female traveler.

I will be going to the Dolphin resort. It will be around 6pm on a Thursday.
Your Uber Black driver will appreciate a tip, also.

We are staying at Wilderness Lodge Sept 9 to 14th

Friday night around 7pm we plan to go to Disney Hollywood studios after dinner at whispering Canyon and would need an XL (6 of us including a 2 yr old).

Saturday morning we plan to be at Animal Kingom for gate open (early morning hours) 8am

Sunday morning plan to be at Disney Hollywood studios for gate open (I think 9am)

Monday morning we have chef mickeys reservation at 7:35am

Tuesday- we want to be at Epcot at gate open (I think 9am)

We usually stay at port Orleans but hated long waits for busses.

We chose wilderness lodge because it's close to MK and assumed it would illuminate the miserable wait and bus ride back to port Orleans and j stead be a quick boat ride.

But recently have read reviews saying bus service from wilderness lodge is horrible (hour ride to Hollywood studios or animal kingdom) and that there are long waits for boat rides to and from MK

I don't think Sep 9-14th is peak season. Wondering if bus and boat transport options will be better because of when we're going.

Could use some advice on which transport option is best for each morning of our trip.

We are staying at Wilderness Lodge Sept 9 to 14th

Friday night around 7pm we plan to go to Disney Hollywood studios after dinner at whispering Canyon and would need an XL (6 of us including a 2 yr old).

Saturday morning we plan to be at Animal Kingom for gate open (early morning hours) 8am

Sunday morning plan to be at Disney Hollywood studios for gate open (I think 9am)

Monday morning we have chef mickeys reservation at 7:35am

Tuesday- we want to be at Epcot at gate open (I think 9am)

We usually stay at port Orleans but hated long waits for busses.

We chose wilderness lodge because it's close to MK and assumed it would illuminate the miserable wait and bus ride back to port Orleans and j stead be a quick boat ride.

But recently have read reviews saying bus service from wilderness lodge is horrible (hour ride to Hollywood studios or animal kingdom) and that there are long waits for boat rides to and from MK

I don't think Sep 9-14th is peak season. Wondering if bus and boat transport options will be better because of when we're going.

Could use some advice on which transport option is best for each morning of our trip.
My advice, stop reading transportation reviews. I've stayed at POR/FQ, WL, and well, every single resort on property but for 2 All Stars and the 2 dedicated DVC properties. We have good and bad waits at all of them. Not a single one is perfect and none are consistently bad. Avg waits are 20 min max but they are just that, avg. Honestly, if you thought POR was bad you are going to think WL is worse. We've stayed many nights at both and WL was never better. But POR wasn't bad but for 1 night leaving HS and that was due to a wreck at the traffic light to HS, not anything Disney could do about that

The only time in your trip I'd use Lyft/Uber is to CM. I always use it for Resort to Resort.
Otherwise, I bus and budget about an hour

I thought Uber fare included tip. Isn't that their whole "thing"?
No, they do not. Tipping with them is just like any other service. You tip if you want, it's never required (though many would say it is expected any more).

I thought Uber fare included tip. Isn't that their whole "thing"?
Uber (the company) likes people to think that, so that they can tout their "cashless" transactions. They can no longer say it explicitly, after a lawsuit by a group of drivers.

In reality, your Uber driver is not receiving a gratuity from Uber, and is probably netting less than a typical taxi driver, even before tips. But that's the cost of setting your own schedule and driving as much or as little as you like, so it's entirely up the rider whether they choose to tip. The vast majority of UberX riders do not tip.

I'm not too familiar with Uber Black, but I know they are independent professional drivers, so I would be uncomfortable if I used them and did not tip.

Uber (the company) likes people to think that, so that they can tout their "cashless" transactions. They can no longer say it explicitly, after a lawsuit by a group of drivers.

In reality, your Uber driver is not receiving a gratuity from Uber, and is probably netting less than a typical taxi driver, even before tips. But that's the cost of setting your own schedule and driving as much or as little as you like, so it's entirely up the rider whether they choose to tip. The vast majority of UberX riders do not tip.

I'm not too familiar with Uber Black, but I know they are independent professional drivers, so I would be uncomfortable if I used them and did not tip.

OK. Thanks for clarifying. I will stick with a cab.

I just have a few questions I'm hoping someone can help with. No-one in my family has ever used these services, so I apologize for the newbie questions!

1. My mother is on dialysis three times a week during our trip. The last trip, she took a cab back and forth each day with my father. Chances are, it will be a first shift which means she will need to be there by 6am. Is Uber ( or even Lyft ) something we could possibly use for this?
2. Neither of my parents have a smart phone - would I be able to pay for their trips through mine, or would the phone have to be there with them?
3. Can you schedule rides in advance on any of these apps? Or would we have to schedule them as needed?
4. Would it be just as easy to just use a cab like the last time? LOL

I just have a few questions I'm hoping someone can help with. No-one in my family has ever used these services, so I apologize for the newbie questions!

1. My mother is on dialysis three times a week during our trip. The last trip, she took a cab back and forth each day with my father. Chances are, it will be a first shift which means she will need to be there by 6am. Is Uber ( or even Lyft ) something we could possibly use for this?
2. Neither of my parents have a smart phone - would I be able to pay for their trips through mine, or would the phone have to be there with them?
3. Can you schedule rides in advance on any of these apps? Or would we have to schedule them as needed?
4. Would it be just as easy to just use a cab like the last time? LOL
1. Yes there will be cars then
2. Yes, if your are with them
3. No, which is why you'd need to be with them to request a ride

Last edited:
I agree with AngiTN, the bus waits can be bad anywhere. Our longest ride was 1 1/2 hrs from MK to Fort Wilderness (next to Wilderness Lodge. ). Boats weren't running during the water parade and the bus was ridiculously long. I did find the ride from FW to AK also long but bearable.
I think WL to CR for Chef Mickey,s is very easy though if it's foggy in am, boats don't run so if I woke up & saw fog, I'd Uber.
For us, the worst rides are always end of day. Lines are long, sometimes you wait for multiple buses, all buses are SRO so getting a seat is not likely. I'd consider those times for Uber.

I agree with AngiTN, the bus waits can be bad anywhere. Our longest ride was 1 1/2 hrs from MK to Fort Wilderness (next to Wilderness Lodge. ). Boats weren't running during the water parade and the bus was ridiculously long. I did find the ride from FW to AK also long but bearable.
I think WL to CR for Chef Mickey,s is very easy though if it's foggy in am, boats don't run so if I woke up & saw fog, I'd Uber.
For us, the worst rides are always end of day. Lines are long, sometimes you wait for multiple buses, all buses are SRO so getting a seat is not likely. I'd consider those times for Uber.
Wasn't sure if the boat ran early enough for to get to CR for a 7:30 am adr

Wasn't sure if the boat ran early enough for to get to CR for a 7:30 am adr
When we stayed at FW, if it was clear, the boats ran. It was the only way to get across the lagoon. There were no buses to MK unless it was too foggy for boats, which happened a couple times during our stay 2 years ago. Things may be different now, I would confirm on arrival to resort.

For an 8:20 am flight out of MCO what time should we schedule our uber? We will be staying at Universal's Cabana Bay Beach Hotel. Are they available super early in the morning?

for an 8:20am flight then what time should we call for an uber? Are they available that early in the morning?
They should be available at all hours
It's 30 min from WDW to MCO (not sure about from US, I'd guess similar)
So how early you call depends on how early you like to get to the airport.
We call for it 2 hours before our departure but I cut it closer than many others like to. We also have PreCheck so know we'll have shorter lines than those without. And we use RAC at WDW so no bags at the airport either.

Does anyone know what the average cost would be to take an UBER from Port Canaveral to Universal's Cabana Bay Beach Hotel?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter