• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Everthing you wanted to know about Uber/Lyft at WDW

1. To confirm, is Uber allowed to drop off at Port Canaveral?

2. If so, we are dropping off a rental car at Coco Beach. I read rental car shuttles can be frustrating and wondering the availability of an Uber driver to take is to the port? What kind of wait time?

3. What about luggage? Are all Uber drivers able to accommodate it or is it frowned on?

Great thread! I know nothing about Uber and was hesitant to use it because of that. I do have a couple of questions.

1. Are we required to tip? I saw that Uber drivers aren't supposed to take cash, but if they can't, how would we tip?

2. I assume that Uber drivers do late night pick ups, correct? We are looking to watch some Thursday night football at ESPN at the Boardwalk and would need to get back to CBR after buses have stopped running. Would we be picked up outside the Boardwalk lobby, like the other taxis?

1. No tips required! Uber drivers keep 80% of your fare, so Uber says tip is included. Of course, you're free to hand the driver a few bucks for exceptional service but that's at your discretion and certainly not necessary or required. You cannot add tip through the app.

2. Uber drivers can be available at any time. They make their own schedules, so its up to them when they want to sign on to accept ride requests. You can check the app and see where the closest drivers are, and it will give you an estimate of how long it will be for one to get to you. There is a chance there may be no drivers in your vicinity if it's late night (happened to me in Hawaii) but I would suspect Orlando would only maybe have that problem in the wee hours of the morning.

1. To confirm, is Uber allowed to drop off at Port Canaveral?

2. If so, we are dropping off a rental car at Coco Beach. I read rental car shuttles can be frustrating and wondering the availability of an Uber driver to take is to the port? What kind of wait time?

3. What about luggage? Are all Uber drivers able to accommodate it or is it frowned on?

1. I am assuming so but can't confirm.

2. No way to know. All depends on how many drivers make themselves available at that time of day and location. I would suspect if it's a cruise embarkation day, many would be around and available in anticipation of cruise passengers needing rides.

3. Definitely but keep in mind that UberX drivers typically have smaller vehicles or sedans. Most of the times I've ridden, I've been in a Honda Civic or Toyota Prius. A few hybrids. One time it was a Chevy Silverado pick up truck. If there's only two of you, luggage shouldn't be an issue. But anymore people with luggage and it will probably depend on the vehicle that accepts your fare. You could also call UberXL which are larger vehicles/SUVs, but the fare will be higher.

How lax are Uber drivers on 5-10 minute grocery stops; if I'm being picked up somewhere near MCO and traveling to WDW?

I think this would be up to the discretion of the driver. I once got picked up in downtown Hartford, and asked the driver to take me back to my hotel so I could pick up my stored luggage, and then take me to the airport. I entered my pick up location where I was in downtown Hartford and my destination as my hotel. After I got my bag (took all of 5 minutes), I did a new request from my hotel to the airport. So, the same driver got my fare for both routes. He didn't charge me any extra for the wait getting the luggage, and I don't know if he would have been able to anyhow. I don't think it's like a taxi where the fare keeps going up while waiting.

Another point similar to this as there's no additional charges for waiting in traffic either, unlike a taxi. A couple months ago I was in Detroit and took a taxi from the airport to my destination. It was about a 40 minute drive and cost $90. I took Uber on the way back, during rush hour, and it took 90 minutes due to the traffic and was only $45.

So my hubs and I will be at US in December for a few nights before our Disney Cruise. After looking at touring plans it would seem our second day will get over quite quickly, which means we want to pop over to MK for MVMCP on Friday. We will be staying at the Cabana Resort, we hope to be at MK for the 4pm party entrance time and hope to return after the party. If I am reading all the posts correctly is what I have listed below accurate and a correct course of action:

1: Über will be cheaper to use then a Mears shuttle
2: We can be picked up at Cabana, was thinking 3pm
3: we will get dropped off at the Transportation center where we can then take the monorail to MK
4: After party walk over to contemporary and plan to get picked up at 12:45am

How far before a fight from MCO do you suggest getting a pick up from an Epcot resort?

1: Über will be cheaper to use then a Mears shuttle
2: We can be picked up at Cabana, was thinking 3pm
3: we will get dropped off at the Transportation center where we can then take the monorail to MK
4: After party walk over to contemporary and plan to get picked up at 12:45am

All that would work. For number 3, you could also get dropped off at the Contemporary and walk over to MK if you don't want to deal with TTC.

All that would work. For number 3, you could also get dropped off at the Contemporary and walk over to MK if you don't want to deal with TTC.

I thought someone said they wouldn't allow drop offs at the Contemporary without a room or a meal reservation. Maybe I read it wrong...

I thought someone said they wouldn't allow drop offs at the Contemporary without a room or a meal reservation. Maybe I read it wrong...

Oh that's possible. I haven't done it myself. Is that the same for taxis too?

We have taken several taxis to the CR and gotten dropped off and walked to MK. No ADR and didn't stay there.

This is what I thought. I would suspect Uber would be able to drop off there as well. Its no different than a taxi, or even a friend or relative dropping you off for that matter. Disney wants people to come tour their resorts, shop in their stores, drink at their bars. I'd find it hard to believe they aren't letting people be dropped off there without a room or ADR.

This is what I thought. I would suspect Uber would be able to drop off there as well. Its no different than a taxi, or even a friend or relative dropping you off for that matter. Disney wants people to come tour their resorts, shop in their stores, drink at their bars. I'd find it hard to believe they aren't letting people be dropped off there without a room or ADR.

Hmm. Things must have loosened up, then, from the time the original post to this thread was made. The OP says more than once that there needs to be an ADR or room reservation, even calling out the Contemporary. I really hope it's so...it would make getting to my pre-park BOG much easier.

Hmm. Things must have loosened up, then, from the time the original post to this thread was made. The OP says more than once that there needs to be an ADR or room reservation, even calling out the Contemporary. I really hope it's so...it would make getting to my pre-park BOG much easier.

Yeah maybe someone with a recent experience can confirm. I suppose if the person being dropped off was upfront in saying they were not going into CR and only walking to MK, then maybe they'd be denied. But if someone was truly going into CR for a QS meal or a drink at the bar, I'd be surprised if they got denied.

I am hoping to use UBER in December to get from the Grand Floridian (DVC Villas) to Cirque Du Soleil. I hear construction and traffic are a fright.

Could we take UBER to a nearby resort (Port Orleans) and then take a disney boat to the West Side Boat Launch?

Same plan for the return?

Thanks for all of the info! especially the pick up / drop off places. We stayed off site this past spring and used Uber several times. We had positive experianes every time. We did have some trouble finding a pick up spot at DTD, hopefully once the construction is done that will not be an issue.

My question is going from Disney resort to another Disney resort. Like from Boardwalk to Polynesian. Like I won't have a reservation anywhere, but I want to take an UBER instead of a cab just to go to Trader Sam's.

My question is going from Disney resort to another Disney resort. Like from Boardwalk to Polynesian. Like I won't have a reservation anywhere, but I want to take an UBER instead of a cab just to go to Trader Sam's.
No reason you couldn't do that.

If going between a Disney hotel and Universal, would it make sense to go to/from one of the Universal resort hotels rather than the main Universal pick up/drop off area for the parks and City Walk? Would that be less congested?

As a related question, don't the Universal hotels have free wifi in the lobby? Would that help the people with non-US cell phones?

Possibly might be better on that. Universal isnt really my thing. Im ex-disney cast. Anyone have any thoughts?

Just used Uber in Universal. Walking to Hard Rock (5mins) is easiest. Free wifi in lobby. In RPR, no Wi-Fi between the lobby and pickup spot. (long bridge)

Last edited:
To add to my comment above, the pickup point for Uber at Universal is in the bus/taxi loading zone. I saw it on Google Maps but never took the time to really figure out exactly where that is. Wifi is horrible at Citywalk so I didn't want to take the chance of walking over there (did not have data on my phone).

Cars always came within 5 mins or so. First time, we requested it at the front gates of Universal Studios, then power walked over to Hard Rock Hotel. He was there about 2 mins before we got there.

2nd time, I requested uber from Royal Pacific's lobby. Went outside only to realize I could no longer watch his progress once I was out of wifi zone. I had to go back in the lobby again (across a long bridge) to get the app working.

3rd time, I requested uber from Hard Rock's lobby and it went completely smoothly. He happily stopped in my offsite hotel (Doubletree across the street) so I could pick up my luggage before we went to the airport.

It's an easy, well-signed route and closer than walking to the bus/taxi loading zone.

One of my uber drivers commented that driving in Disney has been so much smoother in the last few months.

Dropoff at contemp is for contemp guests and dining res only. They can, and *do* check names especially when its busy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter