• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Epcot & Universal only? Is this okay???

obnurse2003

<font color=green>I'm going to wear my ball gown a
:earsgirl:

Howdy again! I have reviewed so many options and have been talking to my sister who is an annual pass holder and Disney freak too! My family of 4 is staying at an off-site timeshare (Sheraton's Vistana Resort) and want to have fun but also be on a budget in a way.

Our kids (9 and 14) don't really care right now about seeing too many characters and DD won't ride too many rides that I don't accompany her on and then it is a struggle too. DH won't ride any at all of the thriller types!

People tell me that the resort we have booked is so mice that most of their kids didn't even want to leave the resort to go to the parks which is amazing.

So, we are planning EPCOT for one day and possibly Universal for another. Spending the rest of the time at the resort and maybe driving to see a relative in Sarasota.

Does this seem like a well rounded trip for a family of 4 with kids ages 9 and 14? Would you recommend another park other than Universal????

I am getting neurotic about this and SOOO anxious I can't contain myself. I was at EPCOT in 1986 and still remember how fun it was then!

Thanks again!!!

I'm this kind of person who absolutely has to go to MK for it to be a Disney trip for me-but that's just my opinion. My next favorite park is Epcot. I love the rides and I think the whole park is beautiful. I never have went without going to Universal and now we usually do Isle of Adventure too. Are you gonna have a pass to be able to do both in one day or are you just going to US? I do enjoy US better than IOA, I like the rides and scenery better. So for a trip on a budget, I think you've made some good choices.:) :) :)

Have your kids been to MK? I cannot imagine going to Disney and not going here! As you know it is not about thrill rides, but themed rides :D . It is still my 12 and 8 yr olds(and DH and myself!) favorite park and they are NOT thrill seekers. Epcot is fun, but MK "IS" Disney.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Universal have more thrill rides? I haven't been there since '97 and remember there being alot of older kids and adult rides. Also isn't IOA alot of thrill rides?

If your family isn't the trill ride type, then maybe somewhere else would be better?

We don't do the Universal parks now b/c the kids are young(5yrs. and 4mon.)

Personall I could not go to Disney, or even be in Florida without going to the MK!!! There you have more family attractions which seems to work great for all ages and people who don't do thrill rides. I don't do any thrill rides and just have a great time at all the Disney parks.

How long are you going for and when? I could not contain myself if I was going for a week or more and only going to 1 or 2 parks!! Unless it was in the middle of the summer, then I would just want to be relaxing near the pool!;)

If you decide to only do one Disney park, you could always go and eat somewhere onsite for alittle more atmosphere.

Whatever you decide I'm sure you'll have a great time. Happy planning:D

I plan to go only with a one day ticket to two of the parks. Each child picked one: 9 year old picked EPCOT because she wants to visit China and my 14 year-old son wanted Epcot, (he has been to MK and IOA and BB with his aunt last year)!!

If I could afford the hopper passes I would LOVE to do that. But I think that if I bought them, it would be a waste of money because we might not get to use all the days on the tickets and no guarantee that I would ever be back. (NOT because I wouldn't want to go, just because I really really couldn't afford this again for a while). (going back to college etc.)

~Jackie

Why don't you show your kids the rides at each park and have them decide which ones they want to go to for the 2 days. You can buy a guide book or use the web (try www.wdwig.com).

Your 9 year old may have picked Epcot for China, but could end up disappointed. There isn't much for a kid at that pavillion. I think there are plenty of non-thrill ride fun things for kids at Epcot (HISTA, Cranium Command, Body Wars, the Land, American Experience, SE, etc.) But they should understand what is at each park before deciding. There are great shows/attractions for kids at MGM, AK and, of course, MK. US also has good things for kids (Nickelodeon, MIB, etc) but they may prefer another park instead.

All that being said, there is nothing wrong with just doing two parks, and nothing wrong with just doing Epcot and US. You can't go wrong with any of the major theme parks.

Good luck.

If your daughter is interested in China you might want to take a day and visit Splendid China. This is how it is described on its website:

"Splendid China is a spectacular family theme park featuring more than 60 incredibly detailed replicas of China's most historic landmarks, including a half-mile long Great Wall, the Forbidden City, the modern archeological site of the Terra Cotta Warriors and dozens of other equally wonderful sites and scenes."

You can go to www.floridasplendidchina.com for more info.

I have a DGD & DGD, that have been to MK many times when they were younger. Since they have turned to 10 & 11, US & IOA is their preferred park. They enjoy the thrill rides and those that don't there is something to their likeing.

I have another DGD that is now 17 and she has always been partial to Seaworld and still says that is her lifes dream to care and train animals. She has had this dream for so long she has me convinced.
I haver a 4th DGD, can't give her age, and there is not a Roller Coaster she can not handle and holler for more.

I love all of them so it makes no differece to me which they pick, Gramps Law-they pick we go.

Universal is very much a thrill ride park. My family loves to go there, but other than the atmosphere and scenery, there may not be a lot there for your family. I think Animal Kingdom would be a good bet for you. There's a lot to experience there. Like some of the other replies, I can't go to Orlando without going to Magic Kingdom, but that may not be the case for you. However, the vast majority of attractions there are not thrill rides. My 13 month old rode and enjoyed more there than I would have ever expected.
Whatever parks you choose, you will have a great time.
:earsboy:

first of all - try not to worry so much - the fact that you are asking all the questions is evidence enough that things will go just fine for you and the fam. I don't see any problem with splitting between epcot and Universal. The only downside will be the time limitations - so be sure to wake everyone up early and be there way before the parks open - that way you will all be able to get a lot of things in before the crowds show up.

Given as the kids are older... If they like thrill rides... I might blow off disney all together. That way you will have more time to get into the universal experience... then again now that I have said that... I was going to say that there are no thrill rides at epcot... but they have mission space now and that is supposed to be awesome... they have test track also but only the tail end of that ride would qualify as a thrill ride, ... I would think as matter of making things more leisurely you might want to just hit one park...

we did MK, epcot, and AK - for a week then went over and ended the trip at seaworld and discoverycove...

My DD loved seaworld so much that she wants to do a whole trip on just that

so I would say you'll be ok, not to worry yourself over, you are obviously giving this whole thing a lot of thought and you obviously want to make sure your kids have a good time... so they will probably have a good time no matter what you do. And since they already have the expectations I don't think I would change course on them now unless you "cleared it" with them first...

but one thing for sure - given what you have outlinesd - as to your time constraints - wake them up early.... way early... be at the parks way early...if you are in the first hundred or two hundred then you will get more done in that morning before the crowds hit... more then the crowds will get done in their entire day.

Hi OBNurse! I think MGM might be a better park than Universal. It has a few thrill rides that the kids would enjoy, but also has lots of attractions that the others in your group would like to. If you don't want to go to MK that's fine. Characters, though, are such a tiny part of the Disney World experience. They're there if you want them(sometimes), but you can easily walk by them, if you don't.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter