EPCOT to become “more Disney”

What would you like to see EPCOT become?

• Total voters
Epcot is one of my daughters favorite parks since she was 5. She’s now 13 and can’t wait to go again in May. So I hope it doesn’t change that much.

I'm kind of surprised by this, while not at the same time. It seems like it's ready to open at any minute and from reports out it seems its basically done with its testing phase even. Was really expecting a May/Summer opening. However, it does make sense to hold it to coincide with the kick off of the 50th anniversary celebrations. It will really help to market the even if there is a major new attraction to go along with it. Also with the setup of the new area being a bit of a cul-de-sac with a path leading around to the ride that acts as both the entry and exit of the new area there might be a concern of social distancing and such at the start of summer still, especially if a new ride would bring in more crowds. Whereas by the fall things might be in a major better spot.

I’m fine with where current Disney wants to take the park. They study these things intensely and know more than I ever will as to what will work in 2021- not to mention 2031 or 2041.

I do think it’s proven extremely hard to stay constantly up-to-speed on the latest technology. Just too much automation rapidly expanding capabilities. Anything Future World does is likely passe within months That said- maybe they could take more of a “big issue” approach on educational topics like: (1) how pandemics occur/spread; (2) Climate (I know- potentially controversial- maybe just focus on phenomena like hurricanes/deep freezes); (3) Mars colonization; etc. Also, would love to see all the BRIC countries represented in World Showcase (have China obviously, lacking Brazil, Russia and India). If IP helps all that “go”- awesome.

I'm kind of surprised by this, while not at the same time. It seems like it's ready to open at any minute and from reports out it seems its basically done with its testing phase even. Was really expecting a May/Summer opening. However, it does make sense to hold it to coincide with the kick off of the 50th anniversary celebrations. It will really help to market the even if there is a major new attraction to go along with it. Also with the setup of the new area being a bit of a cul-de-sac with a path leading around to the ride that acts as both the entry and exit of the new area there might be a concern of social distancing and such at the start of summer still, especially if a new ride would bring in more crowds. Whereas by the fall things might be in a major better spot.
I think WDW 50th has fizzled a little bit and this is going to be the “big” thing.

I'm kind of surprised that they focused on finishing a ride in WS instead of FW. FW is looking pretty sparse at the moment.

I'm kind of surprised that they focused on finishing a ride in WS instead of FW. FW is looking pretty sparse at the moment.

I think this was probably the easier ride to get done since it's a clone of an existing ride so there are less surprises or challenges involved, whereas Cosmic Rewind sounds a little more ambitious.

I think this was probably the easier ride to get done since it's a clone of an existing ride so there are less surprises or challenges involved, whereas Cosmic Rewind sounds a little more ambitious.

That makes sense.

Now alcohol is in every park including MK.
Exact reason Walt didn’t want alcohol in his parks. It does change the atmosphere.
Exact reason Walt didn’t want alcohol in his parks. It does change the atmosphere.
Now, alcohol is in every park including MK. Even though it's just sit down. Walt would not haver permitted that period.

This talk of the 50th has me wondering. I can see a ride like EE being around in 50 years. I can even see a movie franchise based on the ride which would make it even more relevant. Do you think that the new attractions are designed to be classics, or are they designed for the short term until they are re-imagined later? Which do you prefer?

Personally, I love the nostalgia. There are certain attractions that bring me back year after year. I wouldn't want to come back to a WDW that is un-recognizable. I like the familiarity and hope that my teen and pre-teen aged kids can return as adults and relive the memories we made.

I don't see how something like Remy is any less timeless than Peter Pan or the like.

I mean, it's no Mr. Toad...

Rides like Horizons and Sum of All Thrills, not to mention Seabase 1 and original Test Track were some of Disneys best rides ever all were educational but all were fun as well. Being a engineer i loved the energy efficient smart house and added some of the things in that house to mine, The recycling center with trash to energy was fun for kids and education for adults, The cutaway fire engine was also amazing and what kid does not like fire engines and the heroes who operate them we also got to see the tech in them that supports the firefighters. Educational does not need to be boring it can be a lot of fun and it can be a lifetime of learning new things and new ways to look at old things as well.
I've got to say that I never "got" Epcot. It's sad that I never experienced any of the above attractions while they were there. We basically walked around WS, rode Spaceship Earth and that was about it. It seems we missed alot of great attractions, and it's a shame they aren't there anymore. Sadly, I think they will never come back because of the lack of imagination now and the IP-saturated mindset of the CEO's. So, thanks telling us about those great attractions.

It was probably a matter o how far along it was. I think it was always planned to open first. So they probably figured with how far it was that they might as well finish it up

I’m a bit confused. Did something change recently? Alcohol has been served at MK sit downs for over two years.

I’d have to disagree.

Disney is adding more headliners and beefing up the festivals to draw the vacation crowd, so they need to balance crowd levels.

If they have 10k after 4 passes at 200 ( I can’t remember exact price so go with me here)
At face value that’s 2 mil a year.

but if they cut that pass, and 2k of them sign up for theme park select at 450 that’s 900k
And 2k sign up for gold at 650 that’s 1.3 mil

so epcot only is 2 mil
Vs
4K holdovers that’s upgraded at 2.2 mil

(because we’d have to make assumptions about how much they spend per visit, these hard numbers would be very appealing on a report about how to generate more income while reducing AP sales)

Disney would be making more revenue from AP sales with less people in the parks overall (again, not including food and drink)

food and drink could easily be offset by increasing prices, especially those seasonal ones around the parks and festivals.

AND it would push those 4 thousand hold overs from the epcot after 4, to other parks, so that ticket holders can enjoy the new rides
You are really underestimating the markup on alcohol and how much of it is absolute pure profit. My god, people are paying for the privilege to come in and just buy alcohol. It's nuts how much they must make off that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter