ECV use as off site guest

Leahc117

Mouseketeer
Hello,
My in laws have decided to come visit us while we are at WDW. We are staying at the Beach Club and they will be offsite. When we last stayed at the Riviera my mother in law rented an ECV and had it for the whole trip. I am not sure what to tell her this time. I assume it will be much more difficult to get an ECV from an off site hotel to Disney and back again. The alternative would be that they park at the parks and rent at each park. Pros/cons to this? How often do they sell out? Any advice would be appreciated. She can do some walking but a long walk from a parking lot to the entrance of a park may be a bit much. Thank You!

Depends on what ECV she is renting. Some can be extremely difficult to transport. There are accessible options, like the Mears taxis, but this won't be easy.

It's not like they bed check you. You could put her on your Beach Club room. She could store it at Beach Club, take a regular Uber to "her" room and then Disney transportation to wherever you are going. Or, she takes an Uber to the entrance and you meet her there with the ECV, using Disney accessible transportation.

ECVs at the parks do sell out. You'd have to plan to do this right at park open, to be able to rely on this plan, and even that can fail.

There are ECVs that are "portable" -- they break down into ~5 parts and will fit into the trunk of most vehicles. That might be an option.

As PP suggests, you can add her to your BC room if you haven't maxed out room occupancy (probably 4 or 5). Just know if that is the hotel-side and you already have 2 adults in the room there will be an extra charge.

In-park ECVs tend to sell-out by mid-morning. But that isn't much help anyway if she would need assistance from the parking lot; only 2 parks have trams right now.

I don't see why you can't have the ECV in your room; I don't see why you need to add her to your resort ressie.

Park scooters are easier to rent if you get there early like park opening.

Any chance you could talk them into Swolphin? Otherwise I concur your best bet would be to park the ECV in your room.

My concern with the transportable one is the constant disassemble/reassemble would turn into a pain in their rears. It’s one thing if they have a younger health person with them but it sounds like it’s just them at their hotel. Swan Reserve had a lovely feature (ok requirement because they don’t want the hallways blocked) where bell services stores ECVs whenever you’re at the hotel and charges them for you.

Please keep in mind that offsite resort shuttles have very limited time schedules. If you miss your time coming or going you are stuck. Also, the offsite shuttles may not drop you off at each park. Many of them drop you off at the Epcot parking lot and then you need to use Disney transportation to get to a different park. This is very time consuming. Also, offsite resort shuttles are limited with their capacity of scooters and wheelchairs, too. It's unlikely, they will have additional shuttles available if everyone doesn't fit on the first shuttle; until the next shuttle time is available.

To me, this is not a good answer.

Please keep in mind that offsite resort shuttles have very limited time schedules. If you miss your time coming or going you are stuck. Also, the offsite shuttles may not drop you off at each park. Many of them drop you off at the Epcot parking lot and then you need to use Disney transportation to get to a different park. This is very time consuming. Also, offsite resort shuttles are limited with their capacity of scooters and wheelchairs, too. It's unlikely, they will have additional shuttles available if everyone doesn't fit on the first shuttle; until the next shuttle time is available.

To me, this is not a good answer.
Poster mentioned Drury hotel. The hotel is on Hotel Plaza Blvd

It has decent shuttle service, basically hourly
https://floridabusservice.com/druryplaza/

The shuttle service does seem to be a little better with this resort. However, when you go to shuttle schedule it states

if you require Handicap Services

Please call Dispatch 407-857-8557

You will need to check but I believe a scooter counts as a handicap service. So, this may be different from the schedule stated.

I used Walker Mobility last year and was over the moon happy with them! 🌙😁 They have portable scooters. The battery life lasted all day so, I was able to keep up with my kids all day lol.
It was nice to have it with me my entire stay and to not have that worry of wanting to get one at the park and them selling out.

When I go, I have been renting from Regal Mobility. They have a ECV that folds up to the size of a carry on suitcase and weighs about 50lbs. Since it about the size of a stroller, I can take it in taxi or Lyfts easily. It also takes up much less room in the room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter