ECV and crowds

snowwite

DIS Veteran
Does anyone else feel invisible when maneuvering your ECV or wheelchair?
So many people walk with their face in their phone or looking off in some other direction than the way they are headed.
I’ve had to stop, dodge, swerve and out maneuver so many people that it leads me to believe they cannot see me!
Kids I get and I’m wary of them but adults? I don’t get it. Put your flipping phone away and enjoy the parks!
Yesterday I accidentally clipped a woman with the exit gate after she randomly stopped as I was exiting a ride with a swing gate.
It’s been quite a challenge getting around this week due to the crowds.
I’ve not been on a new bus yet. The drivers for the most part have been helpful on the busses and monorail. The boat not so much. Yesterday I had a trainee bus driver and he was way more careful than any of the seasoned ones! Until he strapped me in I didn’t even know that there was a seatbelt!
Since then I have requested it.
So what are your experiences?

I think in the heavy crowds that people don't see the ECV because it is low enough that it isn't in someone's line of sight. I've also wondered if it looks more like "open space" in people's peripheral vision so they even tend to move there vs. stepping somewhere else. Seems to me when I used to walk the parks, strollers could play the same trick on the eye. Easter/Spring Break is one of the busiest times to be in the parks so I can imagine what you're dealing with this week!

People coming to a dead stop - especially at an exit gate - well that's a really bad idea. I partially blame disney for everyone looking at their phones because of Genie+, wait times, trying to get virtual queue or order food, etc. I agree that when it comes time to check your phone - find a spot next to the edge at least or out of the way. People have more control over when they look at their phones.

I hope you're having a great trip!

It's definitely challenging! The best advice I can give is not be in a hurry, and as @bobbiwoz suggested be as vigilant as possible, because people will cut in front of you in a split second and then just stop which is so frustrating. The other thing that is one of my pet peeves is when I get accidentally bumped into by backpacks, bags, or people literally right behind my wheelchair. Sometimes I try to set the pace for my family or friends, and try to find the best path to take whenever we're in large crowds, otherwise it's easy to get separated.

Yes - I have said many times that a wheelchair or ECV is the most amazing invisibility device. We have had many people walk right in front of it or almost into the side of it (even when sitting still) because they are either looking at their phones or off into the distance. good luck in the crowds.

So many people walk with their face in their phone or looking off in some other direction than the way they are headed.
I’ve had to stop, dodge, swerve and out maneuver so many people that it leads me to believe they cannot see me!
Kids I get and I’m wary of them but adults? I don’t get it. Put your flipping phone away and enjoy the parks!
Yesterday I accidentally clipped a woman with the exit gate after she randomly stopped as I was exiting a ride with a swing gate.
This! So much this! Last week when I was down there, I finally reached the point where I was like “I’m TIRED of DRIVING for OTHER PEOPLE!”

And everyone’s faces being constantly buried in a phone is annoying too. As for the swing gates, most people don’t even hold em open, even if you’re right BEHIND them.

@snowwite, I am surprised that only a trainee bus driver gave you the seatbelt. I have always been belted in!

We were in WDW last week, and the crowds weren’t that bad. It is difficult to drive the ECV in the crowds. Be as vigilant as you can be!
It’s definitely a challenge! So many oblivious people walking. Now I know how that texting lady walked into a huge fountain! They never look up!

This! So much this! Last week when I was down there, I finally reached the point where I was like “I’m TIRED of DRIVING for OTHER PEOPLE!”

And everyone’s faces being constantly buried in a phone is annoying too. As for the swing gates, most people don’t even hold em open, even if you’re right BEHIND them.
I’ve had another challenge as well. DD had to work today and I was stuck in a toilet. I just could not maneuver the ECV and the door at t Same time. Why not make them automatic?

Yes - I have said many times that a wheelchair or ECV is the most amazing invisibility device. We have had many people walk right in front of it or almost into the side of it (even when sitting still) because they are either looking at their phones or off into the distance. good luck in the crowds.
Happy to know it’s not just me. Lol Trying to hold food order and negotiate a way to a table is also fun! DH is usually there to help but I decided to wing it and it’s hard on my own.

It’s been quite a challenge getting around this week due to the crowds.
I’ve not been on a new bus yet. The drivers for the most part have been helpful on the busses and monorail. The boat not so much. Yesterday I had a trainee bus driver and he was way more careful than any of the seasoned ones! Until he strapped me in I didn’t even know that there was a seatbelt!
Since then I have requested it.
So what are your experiences?
I feel that way lots of times. I've often had people walking towards me, but looking behind them, usually calling out to family "Hurry up!" That's when I just stop right where I am because I know that if I veer left, so will they, so I just hope they turn back and see me before they run into me, which sometimes happens, sometimes not. And I occasionally get the child who's running towards me, but usually seeing something very interesting elsewhere. Kids I can understand-our older son was the master of not looking where he's going. Parents are usually so apologetic, but I tell them it's just "payback"! Adults, though, when they do it, it drives me crazy, and they rarely apologize.

I got into it with a family when the first part of their group cut my mom off and went around her as we were entering the frozen queue. I let them pass when my mom was way behind. The next thing I know, other members came cutting up in front of us saying they needed to get with their group. I to,d them to cut right ahead as their party had already done it. They then told us to go ahead very nasty and I replied that they obviously were in a much bigger hurry. They refused to go and I said I wasn’t moving in front and that they were annoying the rest of the queue. It was extremely petty on my part and am in no way proud of my behavior. But after having people shove in front for attractions, jump over railings to pass the ecv and have people act like she was invisible, id had enough and snapped. I will say, since I’m admitting my own petty behavior, it felt so good when the CM pulled us from the queue and we boarded in front of that group.

I feel that way lots of times. I've often had people walking towards me, but looking behind them, usually calling out to family "Hurry up!" That's when I just stop right where I am because I know that if I veer left, so will they, so I just hope they turn back and see me before they run into me, which sometimes happens, sometimes not. And I occasionally get the child who's running towards me, but usually seeing something very interesting elsewhere. Kids I can understand-our older son was the master of not looking where he's going. Parents are usually so apologetic, but I tell them it's just "payback"! Adults, though, when they do it, it drives me crazy, and they rarely apologize.
Not only do they not apologize they usually give me a dirty look like I’m doing something wrong!

I got into it with a family when the first part of their group cut my mom off and went around her as we were entering the frozen queue. I let them pass when my mom was way behind. The next thing I know, other members came cutting up in front of us saying they needed to get with their group. I to,d them to cut right ahead as their party had already done it. They then told us to go ahead very nasty and I replied that they obviously were in a much bigger hurry. They refused to go and I said I wasn’t moving in front and that they were annoying the rest of the queue. It was extremely petty on my part and am in no way proud of my behavior. But after having people shove in front for attractions, jump over railings to pass the ecv and have people act like she was invisible, id had enough and snapped. I will say, since I’m admitting my own petty behavior, it felt so good when the CM pulled us from the queue and we boarded in front of that group.
Karma!

I push my daughter in a wheelchair and it has it's challenges.

I am aware of both sides. Sometimes it is my fault, sometimes it's not. If I accidentally bump someone or cut them off, I try to make sure I apologize.

There have been times that a scooter has not been paying attention.

One time in Disneyland, said daughter that I normally push in a wheelchair, was standing with me outside of HM. Not in front of the entrance but to the side. She had just learned to walk a few months before, right before she turned 4 (in fact that trip was to celebrate her learning to walk). A lady in an ECV almost ran her over. My daughter had been there for a couple of minutes. I grabbed my daughter just in time, she couldn't have gotten away, she was slow and unsteady still and would have been plowed over. The lady didn't apologize or anything, just zoomed away. I was shaking for a good amount of time after that. I think it made me much more careful when I push my daughter in her chair.

@snowwite - Although the doors are not “automatic” (I get it, sis, I really do!) remember that Companion Restrooms are our friend; it makes dealing with a device much easier.

IF you have a small group with you, remember our “bubble” strategy - keep as far to the right as you can, even in wider places like World Showcase at Epcot. Then try to keep someone on one side, ideally one in front and one in the rear as well to help act as “bubbles” to help fend off the phone zombies. If you only have 1 person, I would say try to keep them either on your side, or in front (probably have to be in front in squeezy-er places) because they will have better visibility to help give you some protection. The best part about the bubble is that with 3 other folks, you only have to really guard the right side, so it gives you a little breather of sorts.

I agree with you, and everyone else; we *do* become invisible. In part, because we are seated, so we tend to visually disappear. And in part because everyone is distracted - Disney is literally designed that way - and so when you add in the additional distraction of our phones, it can become dangerous to be… us.

There are little things you can try to help combat the invisibility, like wear a big crazy hat, and/or wear REALLY bright clothing. As I move through crowds, I just very cheerfully holler “Thank you! Excuse me! Coming through!” Over and over and over again. Does it become repetitive and awful? Yes. Does it help keep people from bashing into me? Mostly.

At night, lights are your friend - but not high, obnoxious LED headlights that blind oncomers (remember the little stroller babies - they are captive, and we especially don’t want to hurt their eyes) but “underglow” lighting actually seems to help the most. It doesn’t have to be fancy - just plain white undercarriage lighting helps so much. I personally believe it’s because if someone is looking down at their phone it catches their eye. Pretty little twinkly lights on your basket are fun, but you want something that will light up the ground under your mobility device to really make it visible.

Oh - last but not least, I ask for my food at QS to “go”, even if I am going to eat there, so they will pack it into a bag or box. Usually I don’t have to explain why… 😉 But that does make carrying it to the table in my lap much easier and safer. And if I CM offers to help, I say let them! It’s easy to get into that mindset of “I can do it all by myself” but it’s really OK to let someone help every now and again. There’s a difference between someone who really wants to just help you get to a table vs. that person who is clearly seeking to make you their good deed of the day.

I hope overall you have had a great week! 🙂

she was slow and unsteady still and would have been plowed over.
That sounds terrifying. I just had my knee replaced and someone could knock me over with a feather so I can imagine the feeling. My son is working as a CM and was telling me another CM got hit by an ECV - sounded like it pinned them between the ECV and something else - hit them so hard that it broke something in their leg or knee and they were really messed up.

I'll be renting an ECV again on my next trip (still need my other knee replaced) but one thing I've found is taking a walker or rollator to the shopping mall/airport/theme park is that people REALLY see me coming and they get out of the way. Almost comically do they get out of the way...like I don't need that much space haha! It's such a difference from the ECV and I'm sure it's because when sitting we are low to the ground and people are used to avoiding taller things in walkways.

I also like having that "cage" around me from the walker/rollator in crowds to keep people from hitting my leg or accidentally bumping me and knocking me over.

@snowwite -

Oh - last but not least, I ask for my food at QS to “go”, even if I am going to eat there, so they will pack it into a bag or box. Usually I don’t have to explain why… 😉 But that does make carrying it to the table in my lap much easier and safer. And if I CM offers to help, I say let them! It’s easy to get into that mindset of “I can do it all by myself” but it’s really OK to let someone help every now and again. There’s a difference between someone who really wants to just help you get to a table vs. that person who is clearly seeking to make you their good deed of the day.

I hope overall you have had a great week! 🙂
How do you manage a drink? We tend to bring a bottle of soda into the parks. I mean $14 for a hamburger and fries is one thing, but $4.50 or so for a soda is crazy.

We were on a launch heading back from HS to our resort one day. I use a smaller travel ECV and was parked on the boat inside as usual. A larger ECV came into the boat FULL SPEED and nearly wiped out a family with children as she was trying to park. I suggested she turn the speed down. She would not, so every time she moved she ZOOMED. When her hotel stop came, I braced myself in case she reversed into my ECV. As she was trying to leave I suggested to her accompanying family to turn the knob down to reduce the speed. They just laughed and said she was a newby and really didn’t know what she was doing. She continued her Zooming and stopping until she finally got off the boat. I have never experienced more pure danger for so many people from one large Powerful ECV in my life. I have no idea how she would ever move about in the parks without hurting people.

We were on a launch heading back from HS to our resort one day. I use a smaller travel ECV and was parked on the boat inside as usual. A larger ECV came into the boat FULL SPEED and nearly wiped out a family with children as she was trying to park. I suggested she turn the speed down. She would not, so every time she moved she ZOOMED. When her hotel stop came, I braced myself in case she reversed into my ECV. As she was trying to leave I suggested to her accompanying family to turn the knob down to reduce the speed. They just laughed and said she was a newby and really didn’t know what she was doing. She continued her Zooming and stopping until she finally got off the boat. I have never experienced more pure danger for so many people from one large Powerful ECV in my life. I have no idea how she would ever move about in the parks without hurting people.

Some people are just a total menace on the ECV. And she sure sounds like one. No wonder ECV users have a bad name. It is when they walk into us when we are standing still that I get annoyed, especially when they give me attitude. Like someone else, I am not proud, but I have given it back when people get an attitude with me. I do find many more guests are much nicer and helpful holding doors.

To share the one scary ECV story... We were over by the Aladdin magic carpets and grandma was letting the little 2-3 year old grandchild drive the ECV from her lap. She had it on top speed and I swear it was almost on 2 wheels coming around the corner straight at me. I was able to jump out of the way (barely) - I was missed by like 2 feet. Thankfully my Mom was in her ECV and on my other side so she was safe. I would have been very hurt the way that woman/child(?) was driving. My mom was shouting to slow down and look out next time and to get the kid off the ECV. The child's mom was running way behind pushing the stroller and my Mom gave her a peace of her mind to about how unsafe the speed was and that they child should absolutely not have been on the ECV much less driving it. It was just a matter of time the way she was driving before someone got seriously hurt.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter