Easter Traditions

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
If you celebrate Easter, what are some of the things you do to celebrate?

We are going to MIL house. We do a small Easter Egg hunt and have dinner. I give my boys baskets, and it is usually new swim trunks and pool-related items plus some candy.

Pre pandemic, the church I was so active in had a beautfiul Sunrise Easter morning service that was such a blessing for me to attend. I was also graced by God to be able to sing to Him at this service and later ones for a few years through His choir art that church. In 2019, I was humbled to serve as a Deacon at the Sunrise service. Since Covid, I watch worship online. I take extra time to pray and be still. For me, due to my faith, there is no greater Love than that of the Miracle on Easter. I pray to give God thanks for that every day and extra on Easter. I will also read from the Bible. Dad and I will exchange cards. It will be an added joy to be able to spend the day together.

Easter was usually at my house (2ndDD did Thanksgiving since she has 2 ovens, 1stDS did Christmas since he has my grandkids) however, due to my son's divorce and custody, it is xDIL weekend so, we are going out to dinner this coming Saturday. The grandkids are too old to hunt eggs and they are at the age of money rules. My oldest grandson is coming home from college for 2 weeks so it works out well.

when the kids were little they got basket but NEVER with easter grass. i hate the stuff (horrible for the inards of a vacuum) so their baskets were always lined with either pillow cases or beach towels themed with whatever they were into at the time. my linen area is a walk down memory lane with cartoon and video game characters staring out from dozens and dozens of items (dh is currently hot tubbing and i snagged one of the old tobey maguire era spider man beach towels :rotfl:).

Here is an odd one I have heard of from a friend in Prague - I still am not sure I believe it though

Tradition says that women should be spanked with a whip in order to keep their health, beauty and fertility throughout the following year.

According to 2019 survey, 60% of Czech households follow the tradition of spanking (or watering) someone on Easter Monday

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easte...men should,watering) someone on Easter Monday.

Church in the morning. My kids with their family over for early dinner with an Easter Egg hunt for the kids in the front and back of the house.

(When my parents or in-laws were alive, it was usually at their home. We took turns with the holidays. If I celebrated a holiday one year with my parents, on the calendar it went, next year the opposite/in-laws/no argument. We did not change it up unless there was a special occasion/reason for it).

Church, Easter baskets, and an Easter egg hunt (which my older kids still love - who am I to quit it while they are happy and here).

Usually, we have duck or lamb for dinner. Most years as takeout, but this year, funds may require me to take Aldi's up on either their duck or lamb deals and do it myself - I'd save a bundle.

In the morning the kids get baskets. Later We do a big Easter egg hunt which even my teens always want to do because the golden egg has a $20 bill in it lol. Then we have a big Easter party/dinner with the whole extended family, and after we eat we “peck” eggs, where everyone grabs a dyed boiled egg and you kind of tap the ends against each other, whichever doesn’t break wins snd goes on to peck other winners until there’s one winning egg. That person has bragging rights for the year, and brag they do lol. There was a controversy last year when my BiL brought a wooden egg he painted to look real lol. It’s always fun

It’s the most important celebration of the year for us; the cornerstone of our faith. Friday’s service will be solemn and deep and Sunday’s will be crazy-joyful. :cheer2:
We’ll be feasting several times with friends and family and I’m finally ready to start hosting in our new place! We’ve got no little kids left in our circles so so egg hunt, but there will be a basket of treats for DH, DS and me to share. :goodvibes

Here is an odd one I have heard of from a friend in Prague - I still am not sure I believe it though

Tradition says that women should be spanked with a whip in order to keep their health, beauty and fertility throughout the following year.

According to 2019 survey, 60% of Czech households follow the tradition of spanking (or watering) someone on Easter Monday

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_whip#:~:text=Tradition says that women should,watering) someone on Easter Monday.

Sounds like Dyngus Day, a Polish tradition. It’s big here in WNY.

https://www.dyngusday.com/our-story

We have many traditions and celebrations yet due to the “circle” getting smaller, I have to pick and choose importance based on my own criteria.

This year, not sure what I’m going to celebrate or with who. Better hurry and decide because time is running out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter