Early Year Photography and Freezing Weather

enchanteddisney

Earning My Ears
Does anyone know how it is at WDW to shoot in Jan. or Feb.? I have been there anywhere from May to Nov. But never the early part of the year.

I was also wanting to know if anyone shoots in weather below 32 degrees? I might be traveling to China later next year as well. The area I will be traveling in it will be well below freezing. Any Ideas or suggestions?

I have a Canon 350D (Rebel XT) to give you some insight.

Unless you will in extreme Artic conditions, you're only issues will likely be:
1) Reduced battery charge life.
2) Condensation from breathing on the LCD as you look through the viewfinder.
3) Due to the cold, plastic body parts may break more easily if the camera is dropped.
4) Condensation when you bring the camera into a warm building after being out in the cold. Don't open your camera bag until the temperature equalizes inside the bag, or place the camera in a Ziplock bag before entering.

If you're talking Artic winter conditions, the other problem you may have is the lubricants in the camera may thicken when cold and affect your camera's ability to function.

It may be winter but it is still Florida, 70 some degress most days. And it is usually pretty empty so you'll have lots of room to shoot.

I lived down there from January to May on the College Program.

The weather is perfect that time of year. You have nothing to worry about with your camera.

The place we are going in China is a city called Harbin. The weather is very cold. High of 14 and Low -6. I didn't know if there is any reason i can't take my camera in that type of weather or any precautions.

I have taken cameras to cold spots inculding The Great Lakes (underwater where temps can be in the 40s), Ice Diving (34-36), Skiing and Caving. The biggest problem I run in to is the life of cold batteries. I try to keep the batteries warm by keeping the camera warm before hand (in diving) or inside my jacket util ready to use. Condensation can be a problem if you are going from warm to cold and back but if the change is not too great it is usually minimal (nothing worse than a fogged camera housing on a dive :earboy2: ).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter