• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

E-ZPass Toll info - Port Canaveral to I-4 on 528

g_ppetto

Mouseketeer
We received our E-ZPass statement covering our trip in September. From east to west, there were three tolls on 528, two that we paid with E-Zpass.
  • Dallas Main Plaza - $1.50 cash - $0.77 E-ZPass
  • Beachline Main Plaza - $1.00 cash - $0.89 E-ZPass
  • Beachline West Main Plaza - $1.25 - E-ZPass not supported as of 09/15/2018
There may be toll discounts for the 'local' electronic toll collection services , although the calculator shows the Beachline West Main Plaza toll rising from $1.25 to $1.31 if you use Pay By Plate. Calculator does not include E-ZPass - https://www.cfxway.com/for-travelers/

We paid cash at the Beachline West Main Plaza rather than try the Pay By Plate with NJ plates.

WooHoo! for those sweet E-ZPass savings!

Can Virginia take a hint? Blowing through with EZ Pass means you don't have to pay people/benefits to man the booth 20 hours a day. It's the same price using toll tag or cash.

I'm glad to hear that E-ZPass is finally working down there (at least on a limited basis)...that took a long time!

How did you know it would not work at the one place?

We got a sun pass transponder years ago.

I ordered mine last month and it arrived (in Canada) about 8 days after I ordered it; $5 for the sticker transponder is a no-brainer for me. I have loaded $10 onto it and that should get us through any tolls we encounter on our upcoming vacation.

We have a GA issued Peach Pass which also can be used on the Fla toll roads (and is super handy getting through McDonough GA traffic). Here are our charges for our Sept cruise. HTH

9/22/2018 10:08 Leesburg ($2.94)
9/22/2018 10:35 Orlando South ($0.80)
9/22/2018 10:38 Beeline West ($1.91)
9/22/2018 10:47 Bee LIne ($0.89)
9/22/2018 10:55 DALLAS (M) ($0.77)
9/29/2018 8:13 DALLAS (M) ($0.77)
9/29/2018 8:21 Bee LIne ($0.89)
9/29/2018 8:30 Beeline West - ORT West ($1.91)
9/29/2018 8:33 Orlando South ($0.80)
9/29/2018 9:01 Leesburg ($2.94)

enhance

effective 1 Sep 2018

Perfect topic, because I need toll advice! We're coming in from Canada (from a region where we have no toll roads), renting a car on arrival in Orlando prior to our cruise, and staying adjacent to Universal Studios. I'm wondering if we can avoid paying tolls on all but our final drive out to Port Canaveral.

Google tells me I can get to the hotel from the airport without paying a toll, and I don't anticipate needing to pay a toll on the second day we're there. But on the final day, we're effectively driving from the I-4 all the way to PC and I'm okay paying the tolls instead of finding some alternate longer route to the ship.

So what are our options, and how do we do it? I presume from the above posts that we have to stop at two or three places to pay the tolls of $1.00, $1.25 and/or $1.50? And is it only quarters / coinage they take?

Forgive my ignorance on how toll roads work, I've never driven one as an adult. Any advice or wisdom would be appreciated! :)

Mark

Florida's toll road system is really messed up ... we have several different authorities that can manage toll roads, and they all have their own system.

Sunpass - This is the statewide system, run by FDOT. By law, it is accepted on every toll road throughout the state

E-Pass - Run by the Central Florida Expressway authority (Orange County). Generally compatible on all toll roads in the state
O-Pass - Run by Osceola County Expressway Authority. Only accepted in Osceola
Lee County and the Miami-Dade Expressway Authority also have their own programs, but since I don't drive there, I don't know what they're called.
EZ-Pass - Run by some state up north ... New York maybe? They've recently started an agreement with Central Florida Expressway Authority, so that EZ-Pass will be accepted on some toll roads in Orange County. Not accepted anywhere else in the state.

To answer Impromark's question - You would take I-4 to 528 East. 528 is a toll road. The tolls depend - some will be exact coins only, some will have an attended booth where you can get change. It's been long enough since I've driven to Canaveral that I don't remember which are which.

Do you know if the FL SunPass would be charged on a Virginia toll road that uses EZPass? I have both in my car that I have used when travelling between VA and FL. Wondering if I would get charged on both accounts if I don't remove one of the transponders.

I don't know. I wouldn't think SunPass would be charged on a VA road but who knows!!!

We live in NY and have EZPass but are in Florida many times per year so a few years ago we just got a SunPass transponder....looks like we may not need it for some tolls going out to the port but its easier to just bring the SunPass than to also bring the EZPass.

MJ

How did you know it would not work at the one place?

There are signs approaching the toll booths that indicate which toll transponders are accepted. I had seen the CFX image / pdf posted above, and believed the Beachline West Main Plaza did not accept E-ZPass.

Perfect topic, because I need toll advice! We're coming in from Canada (from a region where we have no toll roads), renting a car on arrival in Orlando prior to our cruise, and staying adjacent to Universal Studios. I'm wondering if we can avoid paying tolls on all but our final drive out to Port Canaveral.

Google tells me I can get to the hotel from the airport without paying a toll, and I don't anticipate needing to pay a toll on the second day we're there. But on the final day, we're effectively driving from the I-4 all the way to PC and I'm okay paying the tolls instead of finding some alternate longer route to the ship.

So what are our options, and how do we do it? I presume from the above posts that we have to stop at two or three places to pay the tolls of $1.00, $1.25 and/or $1.50? And is it only quarters / coinage they take?

Forgive my ignorance on how toll roads work, I've never driven one as an adult. Any advice or wisdom would be appreciated! :)

Mark

Check the toll calculator to see where the toll booths are located - https://www.cfxway.com/for-travelers/ You may be able to find out which booths are staffed, and which are not. I can't help since we were going the other way. That said, the tool booth where we stopped, Beachline West Main Plaza, was staffed.

Your rental car may have the option to have a toll transponder. I have heard you could be charged per day for the transponder, rather than per toll, could get expensive. Check with your rental company. A zip lock with a bunch of quarters could come in handy, and then again at the penny press in the cruise terminal (six different designs). Check the toll calculator to see if you need anything other than quarters. Do I need to remind you those Canadian Quarters clog tool booth baskets? Just kidding, actually I have no idea... Have a safe trip!

Funny. The Bee Line was renamed the Beachline in 2005.

I first drove the Bee line in 1972, one lane in each direction for the most part. Had a gator scurry off of the road on the late nite trip back to Cocoa from WDW. Thought there was a log on the road off in the distance until it seemed to fold in half and scampered into the weeds. Anyway, I struggled to type Beachline instead of Bee line when I created the post. Old habits die hard.

Do you know if the FL SunPass would be charged on a Virginia toll road that uses EZPass? I have both in my car that I have used when travelling between VA and FL. Wondering if I would get charged on both accounts if I don't remove one of the transponders.

You will probably get charged both tolls in Florida as both transponders will respond to their signals. Check the SunPass site to see if it is accepted outside of Florida.

To others not familiar with E-ZPass, there are multiple entities in the North East that can provide E-ZPass transponders. It seems each toll entity has it's own E-ZPass. They all work together for cross billing. Some offer better discounts than others. I would think all Florida toll entities will allow E-ZPass eventually.

Some links:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-ZPass
http://www.e-zpassiag.com/

I first drove the Bee line in 1972, one lane in each direction for the most part. Had a gator scurry off of the road on the late nite trip back to Cocoa from WDW. Thought there was a log on the road off in the distance until it seemed to fold in half and scampered into the weeds. Anyway, I struggled to type Beachline instead of Bee line when I created the post. Old habits die hard.

Oops, sorry. I thought you were copying from the toll statement. I was amazed that the toll authority hadn't updated the name.

Oops, sorry. I thought you were copying from the toll statement. I was amazed that the toll authority hadn't updated the name.
No problem. Thanks for letting me know when it changed names. We had a large gap in time between WDW visits. I was surprised years ago when I first saw 528 had been renamed.

Outside of FL, SunPass is only accepted on toll roads in GA & NC.

enhance

effective 1 Sep 2018
So if I use my EZ-Pass tag between the southern airport exit and the World Center Drive exit, I’m covered? If I recall correctly, there isn’t a toll booth at the actual exit... there’s one shortly before it (right?).

You CAN get from Universal from MCO avoiding toll roads but you'll be happier in most cases just paying the toll! I'm a local ... take my word for it.

Both from MCO to UNI and UNI to Port Canaveral the only tolls you need worry about are tolls ON the Beachline and these tolls all have attended pay lanes, exact change pay lanes and the 'electronic lanes' .... your only real worry is to ensure you WATCH the signs for the toll pay lanes which will look like an exit to the right while the electronic lanes go straight. Example:

enhance

Once in the PAY PLAZA, the attended lane will be to the right and to the left are exact change lanes (quarters) ... if there is gonna be a queue it will be at the attended lane as folks get change (ask directions, look for money, explain why they don't have money, ask if they can write check or use credit card) these lines are seldom more than 5 minute delays but can seem like hours as you watch other zipping by!

enhance

$10 in quarters will cover any (one) trip you've mentioned with change left over.

NOTE all your tolls (on the Beachline SR-528) will have attended lanes IF you go from A to B with no intermediate stops. IF you decide to exit (shopping, gas, rest stop) the exits typically are exact change or electric payment ONLY - not attended. I'd also mention that on the Beachline, between MCO and the Port there is VERY LITTLE in the way of gas, or anything else including exits especially between 417 and I-95 .....

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter