Dyslexia / Reading problems success stories?

janette

DIS Veteran
My 8yo DD has always struggled with reading. She's in 2nd grade right now and has special education for reading and help with the reading in other subjects. She has just started reading a little bit, she knows all her sounds and some sight words. Probably at about a kindergarten level.

Our annual meeting with her teachers and special education folks is coming up soon. They have always been supportive and encouraging but sometimes it's hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Wondered if some of you have some success stories to share? I could use them.

I didn't have quite so much trouble with reading. One of my biggest problems that lead them to realize I have dyselxia was that I actually added words that didn't belong to sentences when reading out loud. Apparently kids drop words instead of adding. I guess that clued them into realizing that I didn't read right. I did have big problem with numbers (and still on often do) and I am not the best speller in the world (especially trying to do it outloud). And I finally learned to read better eventually by reading books upside down. Some how that made me look at each word letter by letter which was something I never did before (I did and still do look at shapes of words more than actual letters that are in words... if I confused you I apologize, as it is hard for me to explain). Another thing I was taught was that I should make myself read to myself in my mind. So I can "hear" in my mind what I am reading. Don't remember why I was told to do that but it seemed to help.

Anyway, to make a real long story short, I went on to graduate high school with an honor diploma & cum laude (I would have done higher but I was a slacker... no joke), received a small scholarship to a college and finally graduated there (no honors as I really slacked off my first two years) and now I am out in the "real world" working full time in the (pathetic) telecom industry. Boy do I feel like I am bragging :eek: But I do hope that sounds like a good success story for you :)

Thanks Helen! It's interesting that you say it was easier upside down, my DD was telling me the other day she likes to read sideways that it made it easier. She wanted me to let her special ed teacher know that, I quess she's not allowed to do that in class ;)

I sort of understand somewhat about the shapes etc, she's very visual and learns great from diagrams or pictures. I see it in her thought processes just can't relate to it.

She has trouble recognizing numbers but understands math.

Glad that the upside down thing makes sense Janette. Most people look at me funny for that. I think a lot of what I did was concentrate enough to overcome a lot of my problems. I only think that because when I am tired, I read everything wrong and I can't write to save my life. It took time to adjust to everything, but now I hardly notice it at all (except when I am tired). I think I did the upside down thing on my own though and I think that whatever helps your DD read better should be done (like letting her read that way in class). I do know with dyslexia that every one is affected differently by it. My sister's fiance has it and is really different then I am with the way he copes with it and how it affects him to begin with. Learning another language was quite a challenge for me because I found out that no matter what language I read in, I'll mess it up the same way ;)

Concepts in math were easy for me to get... just messed up the nubmers. I did have a few nice math teachers who understood what I did (I did the classic flipping of number orders) and cut me some slack when they saw how I wound up messing up on the answers. An interesting thought is that I tend to memorize phone numbers and addresses now much more than the average person. If it is in my brain in the right order, I will get it right. If I have to read off a phone number or an address, I am liable to mess it up.

I'll hush now as I think I could ramble on forever with some of the quirky things I found out I do. Just know that it isn't a "death sentence" in that she will automatically always be behind in her classes. I bet that some day she will catch up and find her own ways around it all and I bet she'll do just fine. There isn't anyone I've known personally who is dyslexic that had it hold them back in the long term (for high school & college). I wish you both the best of luck :)

It is good to hear how you've dealt with it Helen, I do tell people sometimes that I'll be glad when she's in the working world and it doesn't matter so much. I don't expect her to be a editor but she'll be a great Artist, Architect or something like that. :)

Anyone else?

A little dose of reality today, included with report cards was a reading test score. My DD is at 2% of the national average for 2nd grade. :( I know I have to focus on the fact that she's making progress and is talented in other areas it's just hard sometimes.

Jannette....do not give up, just know many people overcome it. They use other gifts and compensate. Examples...you have met me...I am dyslexic...so isn't my brother and my father to varying degrees. I think my youngest is also.

My father is successful enough to have retired at age 55, owns two homes, an airplane(he flies), timeshare, and two cars...not a bad deal. I am a teacher, my brother owns his own gas station. My youngest is struggling...she was just putin Chapter one reading the second week of school :( As an ex special Ed teacher I know that she has a long road ahead, but I am optimistic. She has a family of those who have overcome the disability.

Don't despair...always encourage...always think positive and know that everyone has their gifts, build on those...

Hugs

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter