dvc'rs moving to orlando area?

I think the no basements may be due to the water table. Dig a hole in Florida and you'll hit water pretty quick.

But I agree... it's nice to have a basement for storage space.

m1ckeym0use1 said:
I think the no basements may be due to the water table. Dig a hole in Florida and you'll hit water pretty quick.

But I agree... it's nice to have a basement for storage space.

I always thought it was the water table as well. In some places, the type of soil might be a factor too I suppose.

The interesting things we discuss on the DIS. :sunny:

BCV, sorry I can't remember when we read it, but you are so RIGHT, most papers have a slant and are often misleading. Every city we have lived in we have at some point gotten mad at the local paper for some BS they printed!! You are also right about gifted programs. We move A LOT and every district has it's own definition and testing for gifted, and then when you do get in (our oldest always did, second did half the time) what is offered differs GREATLY!!! We have decided to homeschool due to that and many other factors (son has an LD and NO school ever offerd us any help!) Anyway, it is tough to move and check out the schools and get the facts straight!......No basements in the deep south because they would flood, but when we had one we just accumulated more JUNK so is that good or not??? We could never afford Celebration anyways, we move too often to have ever racked up any equity...dh is easily bored, and I kinda enjoy the adventure. IF we ever get to move back to Florida, hopefully several of the birds will have flown the nest so we can get by with less square feet....we are happy now with our big Texas home :sunny:

Hi there. Boy this is a timely thread for me - DH is expecting a job offer this week that would take us to Orlando. He received a nearly identical offer two years ago, but we decided to stay here in CT because of family issues. He'd be taking a pay cut to go, but the change in lifestyle is sooooo appealing.

During "round one", after tons of research and "looking around" we decided to build a 2,400 sq. ft. home in a gated golf course community in Clermont. It was approx. $225,000. We were fortunate to get our deposit back after our plans changed. That same house - exactly two years later - is now well over $400,000. And, just like here in the northeast, you can bet the central Florida cost of living raises have not kept up with the rising cost of housing!

The Florida schools are graded on an A-F scale annually and the grades are pretty easy to find on the net - most of the county districts publish them on their sites or I've found them just searching "Florida school grades." As you would expect just about anywhere, some schools do much better than others - even in the same district. In Lake County they are really feeling the pinch of the recent population boom and building new schools as quickly as they can. The schools we looked at were HUGE compared to the ones here - one elementary school had 800 students - my kids' now is only about 400 and we're in a small city. But, on a positive note, class sizes at the elementary level were comparable. Dollars spent/student/year, however, is much lower than here in New England. But, then again, everything costs more in New England! :)

And, yes, the water table is the reason homes have no basements. Although, in Clermont, Lennar has been building some basement/walk out homes. Under all the green, irrigated grass, it's all sand!

We're a bit torn about what to do at this point, given the increased price of housing. DH is pretty determined to go, though, and since he's the one working and despite the pay issue, would be going to a much more satisfying position. I suspect we may actually make the move this time.

And what about those hurricanes??!! At least there aren't any of those snow days!

Hi Paula H.

Thanks for the reply. We are going down in May for a couple of interviews for my husband. We are staying in Clermont. What schools did you find the best in Clermont for elementary? I am going to look at that web site. We really want to move, but rent for a while and get to know the area. We are ready for a change! Please keep us posted on your plans and the best of luck to you and your family. We want to move in the beginning of July.

You are certainly planning on keeping your Disney Points, right? We are!

Lost Lake Elementary is an A or A Plus school. DH had an informal phone interview last week, and we're waiting to hear from the recruiter to see what the $$$ will be. One tip - when you're looking for a place to live, ask about short term rentals. There's tons of real estate in Clermont, but a lot of it allows for short term rentals - you'd have new neighbors every week! I had already planned a little getaway for me and DD for her 7th b.day (at OKW) at the end of May, so I'm going to go out to Clermont and get re-aquainted then.

Yes, we'll be keeping our points. We figure we'd stay at WDW occasionally for a night or two, but can also use them at Vero for weekends and at HH. And, the cruiseline, too, which we just did in December.

Keep me posted, too, on your plans. :)

We had a realtor in Celebration tell us that if your children have gone to school in the northeast that the Celebration schools won't compare to the education they are getting up north. He said many of the more affluent families in town send their kids to private high schools in the area.

Celebration is a terrific area but you can get twice the house almost anywhere else in Florida.

I would also be very careful about what gated community you bought into in Florida. Many allow for short term rentals and that community will not have significant appreciation of the properties. Short term rental communities are definitely not desirable neighborhoods to raise your family, jmo. You truly have to look into the HOA rules of the community. You might also want to think about leasing for six months or so to be able to figure out what community you want to put down roots in.

Good Luck!!!

My hubby and I are thinking of one day moving to central Fla.That was his one issue about buying inot the DVC. I told him not to worry I would stilluse the points. We actually bought a house on the outskirts of Cleremont in Weston Hills and have rented it ( long term) for the time being. There are plenty of short term rentals to be found in the area.

We are considering a move to Florida as well. We are currently in Minnesota and just need a change. We would love the Punta Gorda/Port Charlotte area.

Our problem is that we are not being "transferred" or our companies dont have parent companies down south, we just want to move. The challenge is what to do first? Do we sell our home here, do we find a job first, but then what if we cant sell our house? What if we find a job, sell our house, but then dont have a house to live in down in Florida? For those of you who relocate, how do we possibly start the process?

I am also concerned about the schools. My children also go to a private catholic school of around 300 students. I think a large school would be a shock to the system. How do I find out the quality of the private schools?

My next concern, all be it a silly one, is the spiders down in Florida. I mean, here in Minnesota, all I have to worry about is the common house spider, and that is enough to send me into fits of terror!! I have heard of black widows, scorpions, and some spider called the wolf spider that is big enough to carry away our dog! :scared1: For those that live there, can you ease this fear??

Tracy

Look to the East Side (Orlando) or Brevard County. I have lived in Orlando for 20 Years and have 3 kids. If you would like futher thought you and always e-mail me

Thanks John

Wishn on a Star said:
We are considering a move to Florida as well. We are currently in Minnesota and just need a change. We would love the Punta Gorda/Port Charlotte area.

Our problem is that we are not being "transferred" or our companies dont have parent companies down south, we just want to move. The challenge is what to do first? Do we sell our home here, do we find a job first, but then what if we cant sell our house? What if we find a job, sell our house, but then dont have a house to live in down in Florida? For those of you who relocate, how do we possibly start the process?

I am also concerned about the schools. My children also go to a private catholic school of around 300 students. I think a large school would be a shock to the system. How do I find out the quality of the private schools?

My next concern, all be it a silly one, is the spiders down in Florida. I mean, here in Minnesota, all I have to worry about is the common house spider, and that is enough to send me into fits of terror!! I have heard of black widows, scorpions, and some spider called the wolf spider that is big enough to carry away our dog! :scared1: For those that live there, can you ease this fear??

Tracy

Don't worry about the spiders. Worry about the red ants and the snakes. Years ago, I would have said to worry about the cockroaches, but the ants have eaten most of them!

jodifla said:
Don't worry about the spiders. Worry about the red ants and the snakes. Years ago, I would have said to worry about the cockroaches, but the ants have eaten most of them!

Okay, PLEASE tell me you are kidding! :crazy2:

Cockroaches are gross, but dont necessarily freak me out. I can spray for these right?

Snakes are not good, but do they hide in your house or garage?

I heard that you can spray for the red ants. Does this work?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter