DVC Rentals - how does it all work?!

WDWFantasmicFan

Uber Disney Fan
Can someone please explain in simple terms how renting DVC works. What are the differences between renting DVC and booking a resort direct? Are any of the resort benefits lost? Is DVC rental safe and secure?

I'm looking to rent an Epcot/Boardwalk area DVC on NYE as I don't fancy the battle to get off property after the new year celebrations! Haha. I have already got a cancellable reservation at the Dolphin as an alternative if I can't get a DVC (Although DVC will be a lot cheaper!)

Greetings WDWFantasmicFan!

I have rented points for the last few stays at WDW and each one has been a great experience. I go through a third party. I write them and tell them what dates I am interested in, give them a deposit, and then the third party sees if they can get someone to match up. Then they make the reservation in my name and I make the rest of the payment. I have control over the reservation online. I enter all my information and the reservation links to my MDE.

Things I have discovered, you need to leave yourself enough time to get the specific room you want. For instance, the studio rooms at Jumbo house book up fast, so you need to rent the points a year in advance. If you want room service everyday, then DVC is not the way to go. You can't buy tickets through the owner, but you can purchase the dining plan.

Hope that answers your questions!

Sometimes renting DVC can be less but it's not always available. If you go through a third party vendor like David's they actually have a form on their website, you fill it out and send them $100. If they can't find you what you want, they refund it, if they do book you something it goes toward the cost of the room. There is another site out there that is similar but doesn't charge the deposit. Google Disney DVC rental. You can book directly through a DVC owner, there is a thread on this board for that. It is less safe than a third party vendor since you are trusting a person. With David's (I've rented through them once) you pay the entire amount at the time you book. It is non-refundable, you cancel you loose.

If you are getting a DVC studio, they can be smaller than a regular resort room. I have rented DVC studio rooms through Disney direct because they just happened to be less than a resort room at the time I was visiting. If you rent them through Disney they act as a regular Disney resort room,they are just a studio. The studios normally have a king bed and a sofa bed. A small kitchenette area with the same mini-fridge you get in a resort room, a bar sink in a cabinet, a microwave, a Mr. Coffee coffee maker instead of a one cup coffee maker, I think a toaster. They will have a coffee cup but no dishes and no silverware (or the one's I've stayed in didn't have any dishes).

The other difference between renting points and booking directly through Disney--and this is the thing that has kept me from renting points--is that your reservation can't be canceled or changed. Well, it could be canceled, but you wouldn't get your money back. Since I've had a few Disney trips where I needed to rearrange the dates of our resort--due to unforeseen events in both cases--this is not a good avenue for me. Just something else to consider before doing it.

The main thing lost booking DVC by renting points is daily housekeeping, but you will get trash emptied daily. Renting DVC should get you free overnight parking at the resort. You can still purchase the dining plan through the owner, but will not be eligible for free dining. All changes will need to go through the owner, if the owner is willing. Magical upgrades have happened, but are extremely rare, and asking about upgrades at check-in can mess up the owner's points. Rooms can book fast, especially for holidays at popular resorts, so you should probably get started soon to find out if one is available.
Just be aware that most studios have a bed and a sofabed, not two regular beds.

Here's a quick breakdown of the differences.

When you "rent points," you're paying a timeshare owner to make a reservation for you, in your name. The owner maintains control of the reservation at all times. You can do this a couple of ways: Work directly with an owner (our DVC Rent/Trade board is a good way to find owners who want to rent points), or go through a brokerage like David's Vacation Rentals (dvcrequest.com).

Your stay will be the same, except that you will receive limited housekeeping services. You will get all of the benefits and perks of staying at a Disney resort, regardless of how you book - Magical Express, EMH, room charging, magic bands, FP+ and dining reservation windows.

Probably the biggest difference between renting from an owner and reserving directly with Disney is the change/cancellation policy. If you go through Disney, you would be able to modify or cancel your reservation. When you rent from an owner, changes will probably not be possible, and if you cancel, you will probably not get your money back.

Does this introduce an element of risk? Yes, though the financial risk can be mitigated if you go through a broker. Check their policies to see how they handle situation such as an owner cancelling your reservation.

DVC rentals work best for guests who can plan well in advance (7-11 months out), and whose plans are pretty firm.

I booked 11 months out for the Polynesian and could only get 6 nights in December but made a 7th night staying at The Grand Floridian. I am paying 260 for a deluxe studio at the Poly and low 333 a night for the GF. I am renting through DVC Rental. What was nice with going through them is you can rent just one night at a deluxe villa. Also they do offer mousekeeping for a fee of $30.00 a night if you wish and my agent has combined my 3 nights at Port Orleans Riverside royal room reservation as well so its all together on my Disney Experience. Yes the only downfall is you have to purchase your own travel insurance which you can get for a reasonable fee if you wish on your own. AAA has a decent plan. I am excited. My room at the Poly is cheaper than my stay at POR.

We're staying in a Garden View room at Board Walk for 9 nights this Oct for an average nightly cost of $184 total. This room is better than a Standard View but below a Board Walk View. The Caribbean Beach would be $253.88 for the same dates so we get a Deluxe for way less than a Moderate with, IMO, the best location in all of WDW. We contacted our owner on these boards and we deal with her directly.

Bill From PA

Greetings WDWFantasmicFan!

I have rented points for the last few stays at WDW and each one has been a great experience. I go through a third party. I write them and tell them what dates I am interested in, give them a deposit, and then the third party sees if they can get someone to match up. Then they make the reservation in my name and I make the rest of the payment. I have control over the reservation online. I enter all my information and the reservation links to my MDE.

Things I have discovered, you need to leave yourself enough time to get the specific room you want. For instance, the studio rooms at Jumbo house book up fast, so you need to rent the points a year in advance. If you want room service everyday, then DVC is not the way to go. You can't buy tickets through the owner, but you can purchase the dining plan.

Hope that answers your questions!
Thank you! That sounds pretty easy to me, I will reach out to a third party and see if my date is available. No worries about room service, i'll only be staying for one night as have a villa rented offsite, but want somewhere near Epcot to stay on New Years Eve night (to save the battle off property in the early hours!) Tbh, its only a place to rest our heads that night.

Thank you! That sounds pretty easy to me, I will reach out to a third party and see if my date is available. No worries about room service, i'll only be staying for one night as have a villa rented offsite, but want somewhere near Epcot to stay on New Years Eve night (to save the battle off property in the early hours!) Tbh, its only a place to rest our heads that night.
If you're wanting a studio near Epcot for New Year's eve there is no availability.

Also, to correct an earlier statement, studios have a queen bed and a sleeper sofa, not a king bed.

If you're wanting a studio near Epcot for New Year's eve there is no availability.

Also, to correct an earlier statement, studios have a queen bed and a sleeper sofa, not a king bed.
Except for Old Key West, which has 2 queen beds in a studio instead of a queen and sleeper sofa.

Sometimes renting DVC can be less but it's not always available. If you go through a third party vendor like David's they actually have a form on their website, you fill it out and send them $100. If they can't find you what you want, they refund it, if they do book you something it goes toward the cost of the room. There is another site out there that is similar but doesn't charge the deposit. Google Disney DVC rental. You can book directly through a DVC owner, there is a thread on this board for that. It is less safe than a third party vendor since you are trusting a person. With David's (I've rented through them once) you pay the entire amount at the time you book. It is non-refundable, you cancel you loose.

If you are getting a DVC studio, they can be smaller than a regular resort room. I have rented DVC studio rooms through Disney direct because they just happened to be less than a resort room at the time I was visiting. If you rent them through Disney they act as a regular Disney resort room,they are just a studio. The studios normally have a king bed and a sofa bed. A small kitchenette area with the same mini-fridge you get in a resort room, a bar sink in a cabinet, a microwave, a Mr. Coffee coffee maker instead of a one cup coffee maker, I think a toaster. They will have a coffee cup but no dishes and no silverware (or the one's I've stayed in didn't have any dishes).
I will certainly look into my options - hopefully it'll be cheaper than the $450 (for one night) Dolphin reservation I have at the moment! Thanks, I will look at Davids and other DVC rental sites too. Don't really mind too much about how spacious the room is tbh, it will literally only be a place to put our heads after the madness of Epcot NYE!

The main thing lost booking DVC by renting points is daily housekeeping, but you will get trash emptied daily. Renting DVC should get you free overnight parking at the resort. You can still purchase the dining plan through the owner, but will not be eligible for free dining. All changes will need to go through the owner, if the owner is willing. Magical upgrades have happened, but are extremely rare, and asking about upgrades at check-in can mess up the owner's points. Rooms can book fast, especially for holidays at popular resorts, so you should probably get started soon to find out if one is available.
Just be aware that most studios have a bed and a sofabed, not two regular beds.
No worries about the housekeeping, only planning on staying DVC for one night (offsite for the rest of the trip). Will get looking soon, doubt i'll find an Epcot area resort for NYE, but you never know!

Also, for NYE, you may be late to the party, as it were. 12/31 would have started booking in January, and the Epcot resorts are very popular for that period.
Yes, think I am probably too late now. Luckily I managed to get a good deal on the Dolphin, so have something. Was just thinking about DVC if it were cheaper.

Thought it probably would be sold out - only found out you could do DVC rental a few weeks ago. Thankfully I have a reservation at Dolphin Resort should I not be able to find any DVC availability. Thanks for your help :)

Thought it probably would be sold out - only found out you could do DVC rental a few weeks ago. Thankfully I have a reservation at Dolphin Resort should I not be able to find any DVC availability. Thanks for your help :)

Glad to hear you have a backup reservation. I didn't realize you were looking for a booking for this year; NYE reservations are long gone, especially for the Epcot resorts. Should you want to try again for a future NYE, I'd recommend having your arrangements made with a broker or owner by the time the 11-month window opens, so they can make the reservation that day.

We are also looking into renting for the first time so I know exactly what you are going through. We will most likely go through a third party instead of a direct owner, but I still have some reservations about going this route. I doubt owner's cancel your reservation that often or these third party companies would have more problems on their hands. We are mainly looking because most Deluxe resorts are just not in our budget, but by renting we can save a lot of money and still have a nice resort.

Glad to hear you have a backup reservation. I didn't realize you were looking for a booking for this year; NYE reservations are long gone, especially for the Epcot resorts. Should you want to try again for a future NYE, I'd recommend having your arrangements made with a broker or owner by the time the 11-month window opens, so they can make the reservation that day.
Yes, sorry, should have been a bit clearer! I'm a complete newbie to DVC rental (only found out it existed a couple of weeks ago!), so thought it was worth asking the question anyway.

Ok, will bear that in mind for future. Thank you very much for your help :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter