• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DVC - Points + Cash?

scothen

dsny4ever
Has anyone used DVC points and cash to pay for a stateroom? If so, how does that work, and is it from category to the next highest, etc.?

I have not, nor have I ever heard of being able to "split" the fare cost between points and cash. Does DCL let you do that?

Nonetheless, everything I have read and heard suggests that you are better off renting your points, and then putting the cash proceeds toward your cruise. The "exchange rate" in doing that is better than the "exchange rate" DCL gives you for your points.

I believe I have heard that strategy advocated on the DIS Unplugged, WDW Today (classic) and Be Our Guest podcasts.

AFAIK you cannot do that outside of purchasing 1-time use points. Squirk is correct, we rented out our points to finance our upcoming cruise and were able to cover the cost with fewer points than we would have used to book one with a lower category room, plus saved the $95 fee to book with points. It really is not a very good exchange rate to use points to book a cruise.

Has anyone used DVC points and cash to pay for a stateroom? If so, how does that work, and is it from category to the next highest, etc.?
We have in the past. We used points for my wife and I, then paid cash for our two kids. You book directly with Member Services. This method makes using points more palatable and the cash outlay much less. The result is that you're not using as many points as if you booked the whole cruise with points, or alternatively, your cash cost will obviously not be as high. In regards to the cash cost, we paid the listed 3rd & 4th passenger amount on the DCL website.

The downside is that you have to pay the cash portion at time of booking, along with the DVC charge, which used to be $90, but believe it is higher now. Additionally, you won't receive any of the onboard credits, etc. This can be a problem financially if booking 18 months out; that's a lot of money ($1,500-$2,00) to part with so far in advance.

So, in short, there are plusses and minuses, and you just have to weigh the value.

We have in the past. We used points for my wife and I, then paid cash for our two kids.

That's good to know. It sounds like you covered two entire fares in points and two entire fares in cash. I wonder if DCL lets you split an individual fare between points and cash.

For example, if you had 300 points to use for you and your significant other, and each fare cost 200 points. You could cover one fare entirely with points, but could you apply the remaining 100 points to cover half of the second fare and pay the other half in cash?

That's good to know. It sounds like you covered two entire fares in points and two entire fares in cash. I wonder if DCL lets you split an individual fare between points and cash.

For example, if you had 300 points to use for you and your significant other, and each fare cost 200 points. You could cover one fare entirely with points, but could you apply the remaining 100 points to cover half of the second fare and pay the other half in cash?

You have to pay for each passenger in one type of payment - either cash or points but you can't split it. If you have 300 points to use, then use 200 for one person and pay cash for the other person.

Yes, you can do this. Only one person can be on points if you choose. Also, if it is an On board booking, the points will receive the appropriate discount as will the case passengers.

No, they do not. You can only do it as the PP did - pay one person's entire fare in points, and another's entire fare in points. There's no splitting of one person's cruise fare in part cash, part points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter