DVC Point Rental Primer

Can someone quickly go over how to calculate how many points you need? Specifically...what does DVC consider a 'weekly' rental? Is it any 7 day consecutive stay (Tues-Tues) or does the week only start on a weekend?

So for example... if I want to rent points at the Boardwalk in Jan 2010 for a stay from Thursday to the following Friday... can I rent a 'week' for 82 points and then add Friday for an additional 16 points, bringing the total to 98 points?

I know there's a calculator on here but it doesn't have 2010 points loaded in yet.

thank you! this is a great thread for us newbies!

Can someone quickly go over how to calculate how many points you need? Specifically...what does DVC consider a 'weekly' rental? Is it any 7 day consecutive stay (Tues-Tues) or does the week only start on a weekend?

So for example... if I want to rent points at the Boardwalk in Jan 2010 for a stay from Thursday to the following Friday... can I rent a 'week' for 82 points and then add Friday for an additional 16 points, bringing the total to 98 points?

a weekly rental is any 7 consecutive days in the same season. doesn't matter what day you start - the weekly rate listed just adds up the 5 weeknights plus the 2 weekend nights.

so standard view BWV in jan 2010 would work out to 82 pts for 7 nights plus 16 for another weekend night, yes. that is how you use the charts.

(but there is very little chance of getting a BWV standard view at this point (the "last minute" in timeshare terms) since most owners probably booked them closer to a year in advance.)

I have found the answer to this question somewhere before, but can't find it again. I know if someone owns at Hilton Head or Vero Beach you can't verify them throught the orange county comptrollers website, but I thought someone posted a link to a website where you could verify those. Could someone please help me?

Thank You

I have found the answer to this question somewhere before, but can't find it again. I know if someone owns at Hilton Head or Vero Beach you can't verify them throught the orange county comptrollers website, but I thought someone posted a link to a website where you could verify those. Could someone please help me?

Thank You

Vero Beach is located in Indian River County so you would visit their website for this information. Not sure about HH.

Keep in mind, though, not everyone can be verified this way. None of my contracts would show up under my deeded name as I was widowed and then remarried. I have not changed the name on the deeds as there has been no need to as of yet. So, if you were to look for me, you would never find me... :)

Do all the same apply to transfers?

If I 'm being asked for full payment BEFORE transfer is that "normal/routine"?

I know there's a calculator on here but it doesn't have 2010 points loaded in yet.

thank you! this is a great thread for us newbies!
A DVC stay can be any number of days. It doesn't have to be a week.

Many DVC owners arrange their stays Sun-Thurs because the point costs are quite a bit lower for those weeknights. Until DVC reallocated points for 2010, the Fri-Sat point costs were about double the nightly charges for Sun-Thurs. They smoothed that out a little this year, much to the consternation of some owners -- but that's another thread!

Do all the same apply to transfers?

If I 'm being asked for full payment BEFORE transfer is that "normal/routine"?
Any rental or transfer transaction is strictly a private transaction between the two parties involved. There is no set practice -- it's whatever you and the other owner agree to.

Transfers can be pretty complicated, so you need to research them a little differently from a straight rental. But theoretically at least, you should have more comfort with a transfer because you're dealing owner to owner, and once the points are in your account you have full control over the reservation.

That said, I know of two situations where the money was paid and no points were transferred. Both of those were the same crook, but differerent victims.

Any rental or transfer transaction is strictly a private transaction between the two parties involved. There is no set practice -- it's whatever you and the other owner agree to.

Transfers can be pretty complicated, so you need to research them a little differently from a straight rental. But theoretically at least, you should have more comfort with a transfer because you're dealing owner to owner, and once the points are in your account you have full control over the reservation.

That said, I know of two situations where the money was paid and no points were transferred. Both of those were the same crook, but differerent victims.

I have found the contracts recorded & mortgages paid off in the Orange County records
I also have found their home address & #.

He is not very active on the boards. (under 100 over 75 posts)
It appears he has rented/transfered at least twice before using the Disboards.
So does thatt mean no complaints have been filed with DIS on him?

I have found the contracts recorded & mortgages paid off in the Orange County records
I also have found their home address & #.

He is not very active on the boards. (under 100 over 75 posts)
It appears he has rented/transfered at least twice before using the Disboards.
So does thatt mean no complaints have been filed with DIS on him?

Actually, the DIS does not get involved with any complaints being "filed". We are merely a discussion board and offer our posters the opportunity to post and seek DVC Rent/Trades here. We do not authenticate nor guarantee anyone who is posting on the boards. There have been postings on issues in the past, but it is not the responsibility of the DIS to track complaints nor report on them.

That being said, you want to make yourself as informed as possible. Even the most cautious renter/trader will find they are putting themselves out there at some risk. That is a calculation each individual needs to determine for themselves. :)

Actually, the DIS does not get involved with any complaints being "filed". We are merely a discussion board and offer our posters the opportunity to post and seek DVC Rent/Trades here. We do not authenticate nor guarantee anyone who is posting on the boards. There have been postings on issues in the past, but it is not the responsibility of the DIS to track complaints nor report on them.

That being said, you want to make yourself as informed as possible. Even the most cautious renter/trader will find they are putting themselves out there at some risk. That is a calculation each individual needs to determine for themselves. :)

I understand, & I'm not implying that Dis should get involved - I just want to be sure I am clear on what I think I see.

So if someone feels they have been ripped-off by a poster is there anything that the Dis does?

IN OTHER WORDS
Just because I don't see complaints posted about a user that doesn't necessarily mean that no one has any, right?

I understand, & I'm not implying that Dis should get involved - I just want to be sure I am clear on what I think I see.

So if someone feels they have been ripped-off by a poster is there anything that the Dis does?

IN OTHER WORDS
Just because I don't see complaints posted about a user that doesn't necessarily mean that no one has any, right?

The DIS does not get involved. And neither does DVC. It is basically between the owner and the renter.

And yes, you by far do not see all complaints on rental transactions here on our Discussion Board.

No, the DIS does not get officially involved as a matter of policy. They do not provide any kind of rating or feedback system, and they are not in the dispute resolution business. The best attitude to have is that you are on your own if any problems arise, and approach your research accordingly (which you have).

Renting requires trust, and if you are unable to reach that comfort level with an owner, either try someone else or call CRO. Renting can save you some money, but it is not for everyone.
IN OTHER WORDS
Actually, I think it would probably be a violation of DIS posting guidelines to post a complaint about another member. The complaints I'm aware of have been made directly to one of the mods, not through public posts.

Hi,

I am a DVC owner who is new to the DIS boards and trying to learn the "rules". I know this was meant for those looking to be consumers, but as decent, honest member trying to explore other ways to make use of my points, it helps to have a primer on what is expected. Thank you.

Lori

Must the DVC owner make ADR's for the rentee or just arrange for purchase of a dining plan?

Must the DVC owner make ADR's for the rentee or just arrange for purchase of a dining plan?

No. Anyone can make ADRs regardless of where they are staying, so, the DVC owner doesn't end up responsible for that for renters.

Hello all,

Thanks for the time and effort it takes to put posts like these together. I have a few questions:

We are first time renters. We have found a DVC member with points to rent, but they are also new to renting their points. How can I confirm DVC membership if they have no other references? I will check the Orange County Comptroller site asap when I get contact info from the DVC member.

Thank you!:thumbsup2

Hello all,

Thanks for the time and effort it takes to put posts like these together. I have a few questions:

We are first time renters. We have found a DVC member with points to rent, but they are also new to renting their points. How can I confirm DVC membership if they have no other references? I will check the Orange County Comptroller site asap when I get contact info from the DVC member.

But if their points are VB, HHI or VGC, they won't be listed at the Orange County Comptroller site.

If you are unwilling to take this risk, find another member with references that you like better.

Hello all,

The Comptroller site is a good reference for owners of the onsite resorts, but won't offer any reassurance when checking for owners at VB, HH or VGC. In addition, even if they are listed on the Comptroller site, that won't show provide any information regarding their ability to provide a reservation (are dues up-to-date, are mortgage payments up-to-date).

For these reasons it might also be wise to review past posts here on the DIS to get a feel for their temperment and how they interact with others in addition to getting some personal references to check out. Just try to get a comfortable feeling about the person before you part with any funds.

There are a lot of great people offering to rent on the Rent/Trade Board and there have been very few issues over the years with rentals via the Rent/Trade Board.

Melani said:

IN OTHER WORDS

As a matter of policy the DIS does not get involved with any rental disputes (nor does Disney). In reality, the DIS has acted as mediator on several occasions and has provided advice to those involved. We have no control over any aspect of the process and depend heavily on those involved to protect themselves regarding these private transactions. There have been a couple of occasions where renters have been reimbursed after letting Rent/Trade moderators know of any problems, but the DIS has no authority to affect any action though the site itself. In fact, JimMIA was instrumental in assisting some renters in the past.

These cautions are just that. Over the past 11+ years we have been made aware of only a handful of probelms with rental transactions though our site and most of those could have been avoided using due diligence as suggested.

Thanks so much for the replies...the owner has points for AKV, and has 12 previous posts all regarding the current rental of points. They have been a disboards member since Jan 6 of this year.

Not meaning to sound too worried, just new to renting. I've read all of the "required reading" and other threads for new renters. Thanks for everyone's help!:teacher:

Please proceed with some caution and get as much information about the other person before sending any money. It's a little difficult to assess somone from only 12 posts over the past 4 days where their only participation on the site has been soliciting renters.

They may be a great person and able to provide a wonderful rental experience - just be sure to protect yourself by being comfortable with any rental relationship.

Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter