DVC ownership when a spouse dies

To update, for anyone else who might wonder about it, I talked to Member Services, who transferred me to Member Administration, and the fellow there said that because we had purchased it "as husband and wife", they will send me an affidavit of some sort, which I'll sign, have notarized and send back with a death certificate, and that's all that's required. They update their records, I become "surviving spouse", so that I can sell or will it in the future without Patti's signature, and that's it. They don't need to reissue the deed or anything, so no cost to me.

Thanks again for the help, and especially for the kind words. I can't begin to describe the grief that I've gone through in the past three and a half weeks, but every thought, prayer and bit of kindness helps God and Patti to lift my spirits and get through another day.

My deepest sympathies to you on the loss of your wife. You are going through probably the most challenging time in your life right now and my heart goes out to you, having been there myself.

When my first husband passed (also suddenly) I found Member Administration also helpful and assisted me the same as with you.

In my case, I did remarry later and changed my name legally. However, I have not changed it on my deeds as it really is not necessary unless I were going to sell, for example. My name is changed with DVC for everything else, however and there was no cost involved to do just that.

Best wishes, and let us know if any other questions come up for you.

deepest sympathies to you and your family! Your post about not being able to ask a simple question in search of the bank code is insight to the rest of us to try to better for prepre for the unexpected! May God give you strength and courage to get through the days ahead and may you feel his comfort and grace as it carries you through!

Firstly, my heart goes out to you for the loss of your soul mate. :hug:

Secondly, your advice in your initial post is excellent and will help at least 1 person on this thread. Me. Thank you.

And finally, I have been reading your blog. Thank you for sharing your feelings and experiences during this difficult time. From what I have read so far, you sound like a wonderful man. Life will be good once again.:flower3:

Thank you for your sympathies, and I'm very glad that you (and hopefully others) will take a few minutes to ease the way of anyone who you may leave with a muddle to untangle.

I've spent a lot of time thinking lately, and although I'm somewhat unusual, because Patti and I are pretty young, about 1/2 of everyone who stays married will lose their spouse. Yet we deny it by putting off things like making wills, getting life insurance, planning our funerals, and so on. We always think we'll "have time later" and I suppose we often do. But not always, and it's extra hard when you have so much other stuff to do, beyond trying to recover from your grief.

My deepest sympathy for your loss.

I also want to thank you for letting people know how important it is to prepared for such unexpected tragedies. So many details that we don't think of, i.e., usernames, passwords to various accounts, add to the difficulties of those left behind.

Reading your post reminds me that I need to update my list of accounts, etc. and send them to my son and daughter.

Prayers and Positive thoughts to you in this difficult time.

I also wanted to share my condolences. It can be overwhelming going through everything afterward. I also want to encourage others to actually go out and get a will done. When my husband passed away, I went to see a lawyer and he asked questions that I never would have thought of. It's such a relief to make sure everything is spelled out. He also recommended that I get a safe deposit box. I put the will there as well as all of my different account information and passwords (bank, life insurance, retirement, etc.) so if something happens to me it will all be in one place.

My heart goes out to you and wish you the best.

I too am sorry for your loss. Hang in there, remember the good times, and lean on your friends and family to help you through these hard times.

I can't imagine what the past several weeks have been like for you.

I hope you make it out the other side of this in one piece for yourself and the rest of your family's sake.

We aren't just random handles on the internet, there are real people at the other end and like others that have expressed it here, our hearts go out to you. Good luck and may your wife be blessed in the comfort of God's loving embrace.

Thank you all again for the words of comfort. This has, of course, been a very trying time, and I'm still struggling with my sorrow and Patti's absence, but she's still with me and she and God reach out to give me comfort when I most need it.

I have said since this happened that good will come from it, and I believe that good has come from it, and will continue to, whether people heeding my (and others') suggestions to be prepared, or people reading some of the things that I write and finding value in that, or people reaching out to myself and others to be the light of Christ, that comfort that defies understanding, in this world.

In the meantime, I continue to plug away, fixing this, filing that, and waiting to see where this new phase of my journey takes me.

Thank you again, and God Bless.

dale

I'm SO sorry for your loss. We are once again reminded of how short life really is.

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers...

Words can't express my heartfelt sympathy for you. I am a little older than your wife, have children, can only imagine what my family would be going through now. I need to get some things in order for them. I will be praying for you and your family.

I am terribly sorry to hear of your loss.

If you and your wife were both on the deed, the package should be titled as a right of survivorship therefore you will not need to take her off the deed. You can continue to use the package as you normally would and should not have any issues with Disney.

If you want to sell the contract, and you were both on the deed, you would just need to supply a copy of the death certificate to the title company handling the closing and you could sell the package with out any issue.

If your wife was the only one on the deed, then the package would need go through probate, and after the probate judges signs the package over to you, then you can do either of the options mentioned above. (Keep it / Sell it)

Again I am very sorry to hear of your loss. If you need any additional information regarding this situation please feel free to call us at The Timeshare Store,Inc.® and we will be happy to help you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter