Driving from Toronto

Hockeychic

Going for Dopey 2025
looking for some help please.

We are planning to drive for the first time in probably over a decade. Looking to get to South Carolina/Georgia area the first night looking for a safe are to stop for the night close to or on the highway I95 if possible

Any suggestions.

Thank you

I’m stopping in Charlotte so not going that far. Also not on I 95. Let me check my map and I’ll update this

We always take I95. We've stopped in Savannah, GA, exit 94 has lots of hotels. Florence, SC is a nice area we usually stop there to eat. We get off at exit 160A. Hope this helps.

Awesome. Thank you all. Will check that part of the route out. Was looking also about Walterboro SC if we can’t make it that far. We are thinking about 14 hours the first day.

We live in Oakville and will leave home around 2:30am and drive until 8:30-9pm. This gets us around Savannah but that depends on traffic and how many gas/bathroom stops we need to make. We only stop to get dinner, all the rest of our food/drinks/snacks is packed in a cooler. This works well for us because DH can go to bed, the night we are leaving, at 8pm and get a solid 5-6hrs sleep. I stay up until we leave, packing and getting ready, then I sleep after we leave.

There are tons of places to stay along the highway. We always pick a place that includes free breakfast. Remember that you can ask to see the room before you commit to taking it. We avoid Days Inn or any other hotels in their chain. We have never had a problem with anything under the Hilton umbrella or Marriott. If you want to go cheap Best Western or Choice hotels(Comfort Inn) are usually ok.

Awesome all thank you. I am excited to be driving as I hate to fly but was just nervous of where to stay.

Kim

We plan to drive down early February next year (here's hoping for good driving weather!!).

For those that have done the drive, how long has it actually taken you? We are thinking of doing a long day the first day and making it to Charlotte NC. My original thought was going further so that on day two we could do a half day in the park but since we only have one driver, that doesn't seem like the best ideal. (one less day in the park seems worth it to not have a grumpy husband!!)

I’m stopping in Charlotte on my trip next week. I’ll let you know how it goes, but it’s still something like 8 hours to get to Kissimmee. So unless you have an extra day on your pass to burn, I wouldn’t bother trying to get a half day in.

I’m stopping in Charlotte on my trip next week. I’ll let you know how it goes, but it’s still something like 8 hours to get to Kissimmee. So unless you have an extra day on your pass to burn, I wouldn’t bother trying to get a half day in.

Thank you. That would be awesome! :)

We plan to drive down early February next year (here's hoping for good driving weather!!).

For those that have done the drive, how long has it actually taken you? We are thinking of doing a long day the first day and making it to Charlotte NC. My original thought was going further so that on day two we could do a half day in the park but since we only have one driver, that doesn't seem like the best ideal. (one less day in the park seems worth it to not have a grumpy husband!!)

We are doing the drive in April with only one driver. We plan to arrive late afternoon so we are planning a disney springs day instead of a park day, that way no pressure for time.

If you are still looking for somewhere to stay I would definitely recommend Walterboro like you mentioned. We stayed at the Hampton Inn and suites. It is right on the side of the highway. It was a new hotel when we stayed there last year and we were very impressed for the price(around $130/night)

Currently in Summersville. Parts of I79 in WV are down to a single lane - could add 30-45 minutes to your drive time.

We did the drive straight through once. As my wife put it...never again. We took a few breaks of an hour and back on the road. Great to say made it in less than 24 hours but then you're beat tired for days. We are near Paris/Brantford so we cross either Niagara or Ft Erie. Last time we drove we stayed in Beckley WV. Alright for the first night but long drive the next day. I would rather leave earlier and make it to Charlotte

country Inn and suites Port wentworth ( savannah ) is comfortable and nice decent price. right off I 95

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter