Dramamine or Bonine?? Is one better than the other??

dawsons

Mouseketeer
I am trying to be fully prepared before we sail in a couple of weeks. I have looked at both Dramamine and Bonine. Is there a better choice out of the two? Thanks for your help!

I am trying to be fully prepared before we sail in a couple of weeks. I have looked at both Dramamine and Bonine. Is there a better choice out of the two? Thanks for your help!

Well I cruise in May and I'm bringing both. Chewable Dramamine for the kids and Bonine for adults. What we have found(I'm sure it's affects are different with everyone) Bonine doesn't make you as sleepy as Dramamine. This is our experience.

What we did for our last cruise was get the patches from our DR. The patches go right behind your ear and we never used Dramamine or Bonine and this is what we are planning for our cruise in May.

The main ingredient in Bonine is Meclizine. That is also the main ingredient in the non-drowsy version of Dramamine. Instead, I buy Meclizine from the pharmacist. A bottle of 100 (25 mg.) Meclizine ought to cost less than $10.

The main ingredient in Bonine is Meclizine. That is also the main ingredient in the non-drowsy version of Dramamine. Instead, I buy Meclizine from the pharmacist. A bottle of 100 (25 mg.) Meclizine ought to cost less than $10.

This is what I did, too. I got the 12.5mg tabs in case my DGD needed some, too. I just take 2 at a time. I think my bottle of 100 cost $4 or $5. It has lasted me 3 cruises so far. Reminds me - I think it's expired now. I need to get more for June. :thumbsup2

Bonine and Dramamine (less drowsy) both have the same active ingredient which is 25mg of meclizine so they are one and the same.

Regular Dramamine's active ingredient is 50mg of dimehydrinate.

Both meclizine and dimenhydrinate are antihistamines.

They all work the same way and are available over the counter.

Side effects are specific to the individual.

The Trans-Derm Scop patch is another alternative and requires a script.

Your local pharmacist will be more than happy to explain this more in depth.

I recenlty discovered that I can't get either of those in Ontario. :( Would anyone happen to know how readily available they are in Walmart in Florida, and if they can be purchased without a prescription?

Bonine and non-drowsy Dramimine are the same- dh used bonine almost every day of our last cruise and even with a couple of "adult" beverages he didn't have any reactions..(not that that is recommened)...keep it handy!!

I recenlty discovered that I can't get either of those in Ontario. :( Would anyone happen to know how readily available they are in Walmart in Florida, and if they can be purchased without a prescription?

Look for ANTIVERT. It's no longer available in the U.S. but I think you can still get it in Canada.

WalMart will carry all brands and strengths so that is not a problem.

Our version is called Gravol......
:)

I didn't prepare on my first cruise and ended up buying dramamine from the gift shop on the wonder. Not sure what type it was. I just remember that it was dramamine that was red and chewable. Anyone what one it was?

I'm pretty sure that the chewable dramamine is only in the normal formula. That stuff knocks me out cold (chewable or tablets). I take 2 of the non-drowsy dramamine daily and am just fine. I bought Bonine for kids for my little ones. These are chewable and they did just fine with them. I have also taken Bonine and it works well.

For those of you that don't have access to buy either, I know you can buy the non-drowsy dramamine in the airport. I just had to get some on my flight home.

Yes, Gravol, here in Canada! Except that the main ingredient is still Dimenhydrinate, and may make you drowsy. Both Bonine and Dramamine can be purchased from the U.S. pharmacies without a prescription.
On the ship, outside the medical station there is a box attached to the wall with individual packages of anti nausea meds in them for passengers as well. Those ones worked for me when DCL lost our bags for a while. Best though to take hours before sailing. :thumbsup2

They are readily available at any drug store or WalMart/Target. The pharmacist usually has the generic Meclizine in a bottle of 100, although it is an over-the-counter medication. No one would buy the pricey Bonine if the generic was sold next to it. (My bottle of 100 chewable Rugby Travel Sickness pills cost me $3.81 at Sam's Club! )

We leave for our cruise in just 3 days and I have prepared us with both dramamine and bonnie as well as the Sea Bands. Has anyone ever had luck with the Sea bands?

I've been on three (non-DCL) cruises, and each time I have used the patch (Trans-Derm Scop) and have had no issues with motion sickness at all.

I used non drowsy Dramamine in the daytime and then for my second dose at night I used the regular version. This method seemed to work well for me.

I used sea bands too...and Motion Eaze, anything I could think of to prevent motion sickness.

I did great! :thumbsup2

First, despite what some people have posted in this thread, there is no medication called non-drowsy Dramamine. If you look for such "Non Drowsy" motion sickness remedies in stores, you won't find them.

Bonine and Dramamine Less Drowsy Formula are both the same medication: Meclizine Hydrochloride, 25 mg. So there really is no difference. They work same because they are the same. There are also generic versions and store brands.

There was advice in this thread about giving these remedies to children ("For kids under 12 have them start with one-half tablet."). Read the label. It will say something along the lines of, "Do not use for children under 12 years of age unless directed by a doctor."

Meclizine Hydrochloride is an antihistamine. It causes some drowsiness in many people. Alcohol can increase the drowsiness, which is why the products contain warnings.

The Bonine and Dramamine brands are also used for products that at not Meclizine Hydrochloride: Bonine for Kids, Dramamine Original Formula, and Dramamine Chewable.

Just as different different people can react differently to motion, they can react differently to motion sickness medications.

Read the warnings. Talk to your doctor.

First, despite what some people have posted in this thread, there is no medication called non-drowsy Dramamine. If you look for such "Non Drowsy" motion sickness remedies in stores, you won't find them.

Bonine and Dramamine Less Drowsy Formula are both the same medication:

Good catch. :thumbsup2 You're 100% correct. It is called Dramamine Less Drowsy Formula

Bonine and Dramamine Less Drowsy Formula are both the same medication: Meclizine Hydrochloride, 25 mg. So there really is no difference. They work same because they are the same. There are also generic versions and store brands.

There was advice in this thread about giving these remedies to children ("For kids under 12 have them start with one-half tablet."). Read the label. It will say something along the lines of, "Do not use for children under 12 years of age unless directed by a doctor."

Meclizine Hydrochloride is an antihistamine. It causes some drowsiness in many people. Alcohol can increase the drowsiness, which is why the products contain warnings.

The Bonine and Dramamine brands are also used for products that at not Meclizine Hydrochloride: Bonine for Kids, Dramamine Original Formula, and Dramamine Chewable.

Just as different different people can react differently to motion, they can react differently to motion sickness medications.

Read the warnings. Talk to your doctor.

Sorry about that dosing for kids under 12. I was looking at my personal pediatric dosing chart that I take on trips for my kids.

Disclaimer: ALWAYS speak to a physician before giving children under the age of 12 medications. Not a pharmacist, not a nurse, a physician.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter