Dragon float caught on fire !!!!

It's burst into flames! Get this, Charlie; get this, Charlie! It's fire... and it's crashing! It's crashing terrible! Oh, my! Get out of the way, please! It's burning and bursting into flames

Now I'm curious about what tomorrow's parade will be like. Will they cancel It? Is there a backup dragon?

Now I'm curious about what tomorrow's parade will be like. Will they cancel It? Is there a backup dragon?
I would guess they’d run it without the dragon float. Disney often has to pull another float from the line up when there is rain. It is the one with the swings in the air (Fantasia/Pinocchio one). On the keys to the kingdom tour the tour guide explained if it rains (but not hard enough to cancel the parade) they have to pull that float due to safety concerns for the performers on the swings. Sure enough in a future trip when there was light rain I saw the parade run minus that float.

I would guess they’d run it without the dragon float. Disney often has to pull another float from the line up when there is rain. It is the one with the swings in the air (Fantasia/Pinocchio one). On the keys to the kingdom tour the tour guide explained if it rains (but not hard enough to cancel the parade) they have to pull that float due to safety concerns for the performers on the swings. Sure enough in a future trip when there was light rain I saw the parade run minus that float.

The whale usually gets left behind when it rains at parade stepoff, 2 reasons, it has a difficult time making it up the hill on the slick pavement by Liberty Tree tavern and the bubbles combined with the wet pavement make for a safety issue for both walking cast and for guests at the end of the parade (rain + bubble soap = slick pavement). Most of the time when their is an "imminent threat of rain" they will pre-position tugs in 2 route locations just in case of needing them to tug floats.

Used to have to tug the Flag float of ELP up the hill by Pecos then across the train tracks when the pavement was wet.

It will likely go as planned minus the dragon.
Is the dragon a permanent removal? I’m not a parade person because of how congested the crowds are but I stuck with it because I loved the dragon and if that’s gone then I have no desire to see it again without it. Obviously it’ll be out of commission for like a week or a month, but permanent?

Is the dragon a permanent removal? I’m not a parade person because of how congested the crowds are but I stuck with it because I loved the dragon and if that’s gone then I have no desire to see it again without it. Obviously it’ll be out of commission for like a week or a month, but permanent?
The dragon is arguably the most popular float I can’t see it being a permanent removal. They are likely already doing an investigation and then will need to make repairs.

Looks like there was a gas leak in the neck of the dragon. That bit of the dragon is articulated. My guess is that there was damage to a hose which carried the fuel into the head, perhaps from rubbing against something as the head moved up and down.

What surprises me is that the driver didn't have a shut off valve to just turn off the propane. This is something that could have been done in just a few seconds, and would have put the fire out in short order.

I just saw this headline. Poor Maleficent. I'm glad no one was hurt and that it didn't travel down the neck further (where it could have potentially been an issue for the operator or nearby guests). I'm glad we got to see her last week. We don't typically watch the parade but DD9 out of the blue announced that she wanted to see it. That's definitely the most impressive float. I hope they can bring it back somehow (even if it's minus real fire).

So I don't know if you are referring to other reports, but what you referenced includes things I noted and I assure you my report WAS accurate. People were literally screaming and running, it was quite a bit of madness for a bit. I witnessed someone being taken out on a stretcher. Maybe it seems like an exaggeration from an internet armchair quarter back, but I assure you being there this is what happened. And heck yes I think some people overreacted, but they still did It, I was just reporting what I saw.
Guests in general are taken out on stretchers all the time due to various issues and medical precautions. Chances are this could have been completely unrelated. Trust me, I was VERY close to the situation and the dragon.

If the dragon retires, they better bring back the Christmas garland across Main St.

I'd be right there with you if this wasn't the case:

The tallest float in the parade actually is the Mickey balloon float so no garland coming back anytime soon.

The garlands did come back across Main Street in DL last year. So if you need a fix, you can always head west.

Main Street Garlands by mom2rtk, on Flickr

Anyone know what the fuel source is for the fire? Is it a gas or liquid? Doesn't Disney use a lot of propane / natural gas?
It appears to not be a gaseous fuel-- maybe a kerosene derivative? Propane doesn't burn so orange, and requires fairly exact air fuel mixtures to burn...
It also can be seen dripping in the video-- perhaps the dripping is molten plastic on fire... Fuel oil is also much more stable and has very low probability of explosion....

Anyone know any of the backstory on that float? It has a steampunk aesthetic and off-hand I can't think of anything else in the park that has that kind of style. In some ways I've always thought it looks rather out of place in the parade and that (along with the fire) is why it's my favorite float.

I'm totally up for an all steampunk parade, Disney, just so you know.

What surprises me is that the driver didn't have a shut off valve to just turn off the propane. This is something that could have been done in just a few seconds, and would have put the fire out in short order.

I thought the same thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter