Dorm room gifts?

Jajone

DIS Veteran
My daughter stayed home this first year of college and went to school locally. Next school year she will be living in another town in a dorm. She has asked for things for the dorm room for Christmas. I have some bigger items but am looking for smaller items we may not think of. Bonus if it is a stocking stuffer. What things did your kids like in their dorms?

My daughter stayed home this first year of college and went to school locally. Next school year she will be living in another town in a dorm. She has asked for things for the dorm room for Christmas. I have some bigger items but am looking for smaller items we may not think of. Bonus if it is a stocking stuffer. What things did your kids like in their dorms?
A lot depends on what type of room, how it is configured and what is allowed. My first 2 thoughts are a small coffee maker and a extra long charging cable so it won't matter where the outlet is. Also a power surge extension cord.

Check the rules of the dorm. Appliances may not be allowed. Just go with a variety of gift cards for stores near her dorm. She'll see what works and doesn't work in others dorm room.
Also, include food GC if she's not on a meal plan. Then, check the policy of the school's mail system: if boxes are held at a place for the student to pick up or if they are dropped at the dorm door!

Can opener, microwave mug with lid can be used for food or drinks. Corningware makes one that I gave to DD18 last year. Cheap silverware! DD texted me a pic this week of a measuring spoon she was using to eat with because all the spoons were missing! Lol

Towels, butterfly chair, bedside tray that attaches to a bed frame, laundry hamper and bag, xl sheets, office and first aid supplies, hangers, and bath stuff.

I’d stay away from things that might be provided by the school or roommate, like desk light, coffee maker, microwave, fridge... Stocking stuffers can be medication, sewing kit, small tool kit, bath supplies, toothpaste...

Don't go crazy buying for her dorm before she goes.

My 3 boys all brought home car loads of unused stuff at Christmas break.

What you think they'll use, may not be what they'll use.

Gift cards and surge protector extensions cords are a good idea. Be aware that not all chains accept gift cards on campus. Car charger for the phone. Ds #3 loses his stuff easily-wallet, keys,etc. GPS tiles were a Christmas item for him last year that have been well used.

Many Colleges list on their websites what they recommend, and prohibit, in their dorms. I'd start by looking there. Appliances and extension cords/ power strips are items that seem often to have specific rules or prohibitions. Not a lot of dorms allow any type of appliance that produces heat, such as hot plates, coffee makers, toasters, and things like candles or incense.

One College my son looked at prohibited all fridges and microwaves except the fridge/microwave combo that they would rent to students. It was designed to operate at lower voltage, and if the microwave was in use, the fridge turned off, and vice versa, to prevent electrical overload. And you could only use the specific power strips and extension cords they sold so they made sure you didn't create a fire hazard with an extension cord.

A first aid/medicine kit -- I can't tell you how many times my kids texted me that they had a headache, and when I texted them back to take a Tylenol, they never had one.

Also think about whether your DD has a preference for a certain kind of laundry basket. I know this sounds weird but one of my kids would only use a plastic basket while my DD would only use a mesh popup kind. Laundry detergent pods are also useful.

Command strips and hooks are a great idea.

Also, flip flops for the shower. My DD's love/loved Vera Bradley soft throw blankets (but could be any type of soft throw blanket) , fluffy slipper socks, gift cards to Starbucks or Dunks (whichever is on campus), and cozy sweatshirts.

Don't take much. Those rooms are small, and kids don't tend to stay in dorms all that along -- doesn't make sense to invest in things that're only used for a short time. Don't buy big stuff -- refrigerator, rug, etc. -- until you know what dorm she'll be in (at the same university, some rooms'll have carpet, while others won't) and with whom she'll room.

What to bring:

- Make the bed a priority; with little furniture, it gets a great deal of use. Definitely buy a foam topper and two good pillows.
- Plastic milk crates are the best: use them to move in, them turn them on their sides as bookcases and other storage.
- Find out if she'll need a lamp: she'll probably need one for her desk, but she might want one for her bedside too.
- She probably has a backpack and calculator from high school -- they probably still work. She may be surprised, though, in needing to provide her own safety goggles for Chemistry class.
- Basic Tylenol and bandaids are a good idea, but she will have access to a Health Center, which will sell over-the-counter medicines cheaper than you can buy them at home.
- A plastic bucket holding shower items.
- Personal reminders of home -- a framed pictures of family and friends, etc.

As for stocking stuffers, my daughter LOVES this Command Strip phone caddy: https://www.amazon.com/Command-Smart-Phone-Station-Clear/dp/B0084M69YW ... she has one by her bed at home and another on the wall in her dorm. Colorful ink pens and a nice binder.

Stocking stuffers
Battery operated light strings. My dd has ones that have clips for photos but there are all kinds of cute ones out there, and batteries.
Showaflops
Mesh shower bag- takes up zero room because it can fold up unlike the plastic shower caddies
Lanyard with school name. I swear every single student at dd's school wears one of these.
cute magnets for fridge if she has one, thumb tacks for cork boards, dry erase marker in cute colors (if she has a dry erase board or calendar), post it notes
extra long phone charger cord, this will work great if she chooses a loft style furniture layout.

Foam mattress topper - dorm mattresses are thin and not very comfortable. My daughter has a 3 inch thick one and loves it. Says it makes her bed so cozy and comfortable. We found hers on clearance at Kohl's.

Many Colleges list on their websites what they recommend, and prohibit, in their dorms. I'd start by looking there. Appliances and extension cords/ power strips are items that seem often to have specific rules or prohibitions. Not a lot of dorms allow any type of appliance that produces heat, such as hot plates, coffee makers, toasters, and things like candles or incense.

One College my son looked at prohibited all fridges and microwaves except the fridge/microwave combo that they would rent to students. It was designed to operate at lower voltage, and if the microwave was in use, the fridge turned off, and vice versa, to prevent electrical overload. And you could only use the specific power strips and extension cords they sold so they made sure you didn't create a fire hazard with an extension cord.
Good advice. If you dig around on the school website you should find a list of dos and don'ts. My son can have a coffee maker and microwave but no open heating elements, so no toaster or toaster oven. Last year the school supplied a small fridge but this year they do not. Students can rent a fridge/microwave combo, but they can also bring their own. We had already bought a fridge last year so I'm glad he can still use it, otherwise it would have been wasted money.

For a girl I would suggest a bulletin board or dry erase board, decorative pillows, etc. The girl dorm rooms I have seen are decorated to the nines. Boys, not so much! Will she have a room with a bathroom or will she need to go down the hall? She might need a shower caddy. lots of cheap dishes are something she will very likely use.

first aid supplies

A first aid/medicine kit -- I can't tell you how many times my kids texted me that they had a headache, and when I texted them back to take a Tylenol, they never had one.

i'll echo this one-for dd i got a funny metal lunchbox and put a variety of meds into it (make sure they are dated out far enough for next year)-aspirin, advil, aleve, benadryl, coricidin, theraflu pouches, pepsid and immodium along with some bandaids, tweezers and individual antiseptic wipes. i put a 'dummys guide' note taped to the inside lid that gave basic instructions like 'if you have a stomach ache-pepsid, if you have the runs-immodium...' she just put it on her bookshelf as a decoration that served a useful purpose.

she will have access to a Health Center, which will sell over-the-counter medicines cheaper than you can buy them at home.

that might be the case at some schools but none of the university health centers around here sell otc meds (in fact the u's here contract all but on campus emergency mental/sexual health services out to group practice/urgent care clinics within walking distance of the campuses and none sell anything). the student stores sell some otc's but they close early and overprice so most of the kids stock up at the dollar store.

Command strips and hooks are a great idea.

check the dorm rules-the ones around here have banned them.

since plastic straws are being banned for sale in so many places either a reusable straw or a supply of disposables is nice.

not a stocking stuff but an idea-right now there's lots of great heated throws on sale. these are great to wrap up in while sitting at your dorm desk as well as using for additional warmth on your bed (ds uses one on his twin bed and it covers 3/4's of it.

Depending on what type of dorm room she is in, sharing a room to the quad style private room and type of bathroom / shower set ups,

Blankets
Sheets
Pillows with extra pillow cases
Mattress pad the thicker the better
Towels ( shower curtain, bath mat)
Clothes hamper with some type of sturdy handles for carrying it
Chair
Clip on lamp
Some type of safe, so that she can lock up her stuff, such as her lap top, I-pad, purse, wallet, jewelry, important papers, phone. They make a variety of them, and most can be locked to a bed frame so it doesn't disappear. Some kids use a foot locker with a lock.. lots of storage, and they can lock up what needs to be protected, and it's not a hassle...
Water proof phone case / for the showers
Some type of plastic carrier for the shower, for her to put her shampoo, and other bath needs in... One with holes in the bottom.
If she is living in a private room quad set up, a real lock for her door... Our friends DD was in the shower, in her own room with the door locked, and when she came out her lap top, I-pad, purse/wallet, was gone... They found out who did it and it was another girl in the quad with her, said you just have to push up and lean on the door knob and it will open.
Paper products, paper towels, paper plates, plastic cutlery, toilet tissue, ziploc bags
Plastic air tight container for her to put snacks, soup, ramen, mac & cheese cups, whatever.

Stocking stuffers
First aid kits ( hit the dollar store, maybe even a small pill container for her purse or backpack to keep with her)
bath supplies
hair stuff
nail kit, clippers, nail file, tweezers
travel mugs, for hot or cold items
Chip clips

If she has a car
AAA membership
Good car charger for her phone.
How to change a tire instructions, and the tools needed to do it.
Pay for a tune up, oil change, tire rotation, or even new tires if needed
Larger first aid kit
Car kit - jumper cables, orange reflective cones or triangles
Car supplies, if she was stranded what would she need - blanket, towels, toilet paper, paper towels, bottle water, and something to defend herself with.
Gas card to come home...

Uber/lyft on her phone - with your credit card, for the parties and such... so she knows she can get home safely, no drinking and driving, and no judgment from mom and dad, or if she is out somewhere, and doesn't like the vibe or even on a date she can leave and get home.

Battery operated light strings. My dd has ones that have clips for photos but there are all kinds of cute ones out there, and batteries.
Emphasis on battery powered. My daughter received a "dorm ticket" for her plug-in lights, but her roommate was fine with her battery-powered lights.

Foam mattress topper - dorm mattresses are thin and not very comfortable. My daughter has a 3 inch thick one and loves it. Says it makes her bed so cozy and comfortable. We found hers on clearance at Kohl's.
We got ours (new) from eBay ... it cost $15 and is now on its third (family) owner. It's kind of old and cracked now, but since it's UNDER the sheets, who cares? Dorm beds are extra-long twins, but it's not essential that mattress pads have that extra 6".

Good advice. If you dig around on the school website you should find a list of dos and don'ts. My son can have a coffee maker and microwave but no open heating elements, so no toaster or toaster oven. Last year the school supplied a small fridge but this year they do not. Students can rent a fridge/microwave combo, but they can also bring their own. We had already bought a fridge last year so I'm glad he can still use it, otherwise it would have been wasted money.
If you have the option to rent a refrigerator, consider it -- even if it's a break-even cost situation. 1) It seems most students live in the dorms only a single year. 2) Unless you get the little cube (and no one wants those bitty refrigerators), they're hard to fit into a standard car, and moving them in /out is a pain.

i'll echo this one-for dd i got a funny metal lunchbox and put a variety of meds into it
A lunchbox is an adorable idea! My oldest and I got 5-6 plastic shoe boxes for organizing small things, and one of them was medicines.

I took one of them and made a "for when you're really sick" box ... it contained two cans of soup, crackers, some hard candy, and a note saying, "If you need us, just call. The drive is 2 1/4 hours ... one of us will be on your doorstep in 2 1/2 hours." In the event, my oldest became miserable sick and desperate at 3 am the night before her most-feared exam. She called, crying, saying, "My roommate and everyone else has already finished exams and gone home. I just threw up all over the bathroom, and I'm scared about my exam!" We talked her down, and we told her missing the exam just wasn't an option -- she knew that. We told her to go back to sleep, and to go to the exam ... but to sit on the front row and pick out her trash can (just in case). We promised that after the exam was done, her daddy would be there to take care of her. After hearing our voices, she did go back to sleep. After the exam -- as promised -- she exited the building to see her daddy sitting on the steps of her classroom building. With a sleeve of Saltines and a ginger ale. He stripped her bed, returned her books to the bookstore while she waited in the car, and drove her home -- where she was perfectly well again. College students may legally be adults, but they aren't practiced at it yet.

After that exam week, I was proactive: I went up to see her the weekend before exams, and I brought her (and her roommate) half a dozen mason jars full of vegetable soup ... and cut-up fruit and cheese cubes in ziplock baggies, which they could carry with them to class. That little bit of extra nutritious food seemed to help them ... during a week that is usually filled with fast food.

that might be the case at some schools but none of the university health centers around here sell otc meds (in fact the u's here contract all but on campus emergency mental/sexual health services out to group practice/urgent care clinics within walking distance of the campuses and none sell anything). the student stores sell some otc's but they close early and overprice so most of the kids stock up at the dollar store.
My oldest worked for three years as a CNA at her college health center, and I was surprised at just how much they can do -- anything an Urgent Care can do, they can do. Most of their work is seeing people with Strep Throat, Bronchitis, etc. and birth control, but they can also do allergy shots, x-rays, diagnose big problems before going to the emergency room. She's an RN now, but she saw her first case of MERCA and learned to pack wounds at the college health center.

If my own children and my friends' children are any indication, about half of all new college students seem to get some sort of illness within their first two months of school -- nothing big: ear infection level stuff. They need to understand that a part of their tuition is paying for the health center, and they SHOULD use it.

Uber/lyft on her phone - with your credit card, for the parties and such... so she knows she can get home safely, no drinking and driving, and no judgment from mom and dad, or if she is out somewhere, and doesn't like the vibe or even on a date she can leave and get home.
This is a great resource for college students. While they're living on campus and are in their first years, most students really don't need a car -- and the parking sticker alone is a huge expense.

Go over safety rules before the student leaves. For example, when you call for a ride, your phone'll tell you that Kevin will be your driver. So when he pulls up, you say, "Are you Dave?" If he says, "No, I'm Kevin, are you Mary?" you know he's legit. Make him say your name first. I don't think there's a lot of danger with an Uber, but basic safety is always a smart idea.

Something I did a couple times that thrilled my kids: I'd call them on a cold, snowy afternoon/early evening and ask if they were in their dorm rooms. Then, as we talked, I'd hit the "send" on the pizza I'd already have set up to order on the computer -- and I'd watch its progress. At the appropriate point, I'd say, "Well, you have to go now. The pizza man just pulled up to your dorm. It's already paid, including the tip." They never failed to be THRILLED. When my oldest was in her last week of Senior Nursing Clinicals, I sent her food from her favorite restaurants through something similar to GrubHub (but unique to her college town). She knew about that ahead of time, and she was THRILLED. It made a difference to her in that last stressful week.

A small flashlight for power outages and those click lights are good to have. A pair of slip on sandals for the inevitable middle of the night fire alarm is nice to have too.

At orientation you can find out about health services. At my son's school they will dispense otc meds for free, but only a single dose. That's fine for head congestion, etc where the stuff is expensive and may expire before it's needed. But keep ibuprofen and things like that in the room. They administered a flu test for free last year. But as others have said, this will vary, so it's best to ask questions ahead of time.

Plus it will be raining or snowing, or 11 pm Friday night or 6 am Sunday morning . . .

Lots of great ideas on here. Definitely needed mattress topper for DD bed. This year she wanted flannel sheets and she was thrilled after putting them on she did not wake up at 2 am freezing. She has a lonnnnggg winter ahead :)
This year we stopped at TJ Maxx when we picked her up for a weekend and we got her a long, to below the knees, coat which she also already wore.
For her closest we got the thin hangers.
Her room request wants push pins to decorate not command hooks so we got extra long ones from Amazon.
Our friend told us 2 towels but DD wanted four, I had found the lush 25$ Vera wang funky purple ones on clearance for $4 she claimed them.
She had a floor lamp her first year with her room confirmation, this year she had a normal square room and she picked a lamp from Amazon that could clip on to her desk. She wanted a min fridge with a freezer, her aunt help get one with her store discount. She got some quarter size wall stick on that you run your phone cord through when your in bed and leave the cord saves in place and then you can plug your phone back in without crawling back under the bed to get the cord.
This year daddy will be getting her jimmy John gift card, they deliver and she likes that when its - 5 degrees and dark out.
She wanted curtains her first year due to the heat in her room and light. And she wants a good umbrella.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter