Does Dollar really hit my credit card for $500 in advance!!

TapCat

Mouseketeer
I signed up for Fastlane today, and the fine print was a little scary!
It says Dollar can charge up to $500 against my credit card prior to my arrival at the rental location! Is this normal?
I've copied the exact text below. Thanks in advance for your help.

In connection with Your FASTLANE rental, You authorize and consent to Dollar processing or submitting a charge for the estimated charges for the rental, or reserving credit with the card issuer in the amount of the greater of: (i) an amount up to $500 (the “Fixed Amount”) or (ii) the estimated charges due, against the first credit or debit card shown on the front of Your Enrollment Form which has available credit. The Fixed Amount can vary by Dollar location and may be subject to increase without notice to You. At most Dollar locations, the Fixed Amount will be $350 or less. If Dollar processes or submits a charge to the card issuer for the estimated charges due and the estimated charges are less than the Fixed Amount applicable to the Dollar rental location, You further consent to the reservation of credit with the card issuer for the difference between the Fixed Amount and the estimated charges due. You further agree that to expedite Your FASTLANE rental, Dollar may process or submit the estimated rental charges for the rental or seek the reservation of credit with the card issuer prior to Your arrival at the location.

most if not all car rental companies will do this to ensure there is enough to cover the cost of rental. Which is why you never use a debit card on a car rental.

I use my debit card quite often with my many Hertz rentals. They add an extra day to the total and that is what they hold on my card. Never had any problems.

The amount isn't officially a "charge", it is an authorization. It's like they are reserving a set amount against your card in anticipation of the actual rental charge. All car rental companies and hotels do this when you make a reservation. It's their way of guaranteeing that they will get their payment.
Since they do put a "hold" on your card, it is highly recommended that you do not reserve using a debit card, because that amount of funds will become unavailable in your account. Also, if there is a problem, or you have to dispute an amount, you will also be tying up your checking (or savings) account funds until that dispute is resolved.
I always use a credit card for hotel or car reservations and pay the balance off when I get the bill. It's just safer.
As long as you're using your credit card you'll be fine. This is a normal transaction.

Sheri

I talked with an agent at Dollar's 800 number about this just this past weekend - was trying to be sure how I wanted to pay for our 4-day rental in a couple of weeks.

The current policy for rentals out of MCO is that they pre-authorize $200 or 15% over the estimated total, whichever is greater.

I think the fine print on Fastlane is to cover *every* location. Remember it also said the amount may "vary by location."

The online Dollar Rental Site says they will put a hold on your credit for the estimated charges plus 15%. I am not a Fastlane member but no credit card was required to reserve on line ...you do have to have a credit card with that amount available when you do pick up the car though of course. Hope this helps some..

most if not all car rental companies will do this to ensure there is enough to cover the cost of rental. Which is why you never use a debit card on a car rental.

No, actually they do not. Avis, charges the amount of the rental at the beginning, nothing additional.
National does not charge the card until the end of the rental, no authorizations or holds.
Alamo charges at the beginning of the rental for the cost of the rental, no additional.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter