Does Disney hire undercover "adults"?

disneyboatrider

Earning My Ears
Does Disney hire undercover "adults" to walk around their cruise ships and when he/she comes across adults that are adulting without their kids he/she promotes the adult amenities and tries to get the adults to have a good time?

Last Disney cruise I was on there was this weird guy that hung out in the hottub at the adult pool promoting amenities and how we should break out of our shell and experience everything Disney has to offer. At first I thought he was working an edge to hook up with us on some European style orgy or something. But the more I listened he sounded like a spokesman. At first he was nonchalant about it all and then became awkwardly aggressive. We would walk pass him a few more times through the duration of the trip and he'd try to push another amenity on us but by this time we figured his angle so we'd walk away really fast as though we had surgery to get to on the other side of the ship.

Fair question though, I think. It seems plausible. Has anyone else had this experience?

Does Disney hire undercover "adults" to walk around their cruise ships and when he/she comes across adults that are adulting without their kids he/she promotes the adult amenities and tries to get the adults to have a good time?

Last Disney cruise I was on there was this weird guy that hung out in the hottub at the adult pool promoting amenities and how we should break out of our shell and experience everything Disney has to offer. At first I thought he was working an edge to hook up with us on some European style orgy or something. But the more I listened he sounded like a spokesman. At first he was nonchalant about it all and then became awkwardly aggressive. We would walk pass him a few more times through the duration of the trip and he'd try to push another amenity on us but by this time we figured his angle so we'd walk away really fast as though we had surgery to get to on the other side of the ship.

Fair question though, I think. It seems plausible. Has anyone else had this experience?
Can't say as to whether they are hired, but I've run into several "Disney above all" types on cruises (and at the parks). They just love Disney so much they want to justify their focus by making sure everyone sees the wonderfulness of all things Disney.

If the feel that others are consumed by all things Disney, then they don't feel totally out of touch.

DCL has been attempting to diversify into non-family/adult/couples market for off-peak sailings. Without the details of your conversation, I can venture a guess that you ran into someone in that marketing role who simply misfired.

Was he talking about going to the spa or adult dining? Other than those "amenities" I really can't see how it would benefit DCL to have people leave the hot tub to go to a towel folding class or Match Your Mate.

Last edited:
I suspect it was an over-zealous passenger. Maybe a TA who was hoping to strike up a rapport and then garner future business. I would be highly surprised if DCL had anyone "undercover" marketing their cruise activities who was not official looking -- i.e., uniform, name tag, etc. With the possible exception of some security, they want their employees identifiable when on duty.

Enjoy your cruise!

Think it was just a disney loving person. My sister met one on her first Disney cruise and that is how she learned about DVC and bought on that cruise. Sometimes it's helpful to talk to these people as long as it isn't like your experience of pushy.

I suspect it was an over-zealous passenger. Maybe a TA who was hoping to strike up a rapport and then garner future business. I would be highly surprised if DCL had anyone "undercover" marketing their cruise activities who was not official looking -- i.e., uniform, name tag, etc. With the possible exception of some security, they want their employees identifiable when on duty.

Enjoy your cruise!
Fully agree!

Enjoy your cruise!

I would agree with this as well. ALthough OP don't completely discount your first European orgy theory, either. :rotfl2:

Maybe he was a solo traveler hoping to make friends on the cruise to have someone to do activities with. This also reminds me of times when I've been on an airplane or an airport bar and the person next to me wants to chatter about the place we're going to and restaurants I should check out etc. Some people are just much more comfortable striking up a conversation with strangers than others.

Disney super-fan for sure! We were on a cruise last year with one of those and come to find out he was like triple platinum and just loved all things Disney.

so it wasn't just to me and and my wife he did it to other people who visited the hotub. He convinced one lady to go down the water slide with him. He tried to get me to go but I thought "water slide" was code for something else. Needless to say when they came back the lady was all wet.
That was not a person hired by Disney. That was an over-zealous cruising fan. An awkward solo traveler who wants to connect with others. I doubt very much he had a hidden coded agenda.

so it wasn't just to me and and my wife he did it to other people who visited the hotub. He convinced one lady to go down the water slide with him. He tried to get me to go but I thought "water slide" was code for something else. Needless to say when they came back the lady was all wet.

Sounds like a lonely guy. Awkward, but lonely.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter