Does Disney care less about DVC members now?

What sort of actions?
Nothing drastic to Disney, I am sure. Selling my DVC. Dropping my AP. Selling off my stock and other financial interests and no longer supporting Disney products. I doubt they would notice. That would also affect how my kids are raised.

The thing is, it's less of an issue to drop Disney+, then it is to sell off DVC - because if I sell, chances are I am not going to buy it again (it would be difficult to come up with that money). Without DVC, I doubt we would try so hard to keep up our trips; which means even if Disney DOES listen and change, we would not be able to financially resume our trips.

I.E. it's drastic, because it would be a permeant separation of our families finances from Disney - not a choice of annual spending, but a choice that will have repercussions on our spending for decades. One family that every year is dependable money for Disney - gone with no chance of resumption even if Disney changed.

I am but one average American and I do not for one second believe that I make any difference to Disney. But, chances are if I am feeling it, others are too. If enough of us change out habits, Disney may take notice. The problem is that by the time they do - as mentioned, there may be no way back for us which would be very disappointing for someone who has been dedicated to the company for 50 years and worked for decades to become so entangled with their beloved childhood memory.

That's why I have been slow to act. Because any decision I make in regards to DVC is not just me, and not just this year.

Nothing drastic to Disney, I am sure. Selling my DVC. Dropping my AP. Selling off my stock and other financial interests and no longer supporting Disney products. I doubt they would notice. That would also affect how my kids are raised.

The thing is, it's less of an issue to drop Disney+, then it is to sell off DVC - because if I sell, chances are I am not going to buy it again (it would be difficult to come up with that money). Without DVC, I doubt we would try so hard to keep up our trips; which means even if Disney DOES listen and change, we would not be able to financially resume our trips.

I.E. it's drastic, because it would be a permeant separation of our families finances from Disney - not a choice of annual spending, but a choice that will have repercussions on our spending for decades. One family that every year is dependable money for Disney - gone with no chance of resumption even if Disney changed.

I am but one average American and I do not for one second believe that I make any difference to Disney. But, chances are if I am feeling it, others are too. If enough of us change out habits, Disney may take notice. The problem is that by the time they do - as mentioned, there may be no way back for us which would be very disappointing for someone who has been dedicated to the company for 50 years and worked for decades to become so entangled with their beloved childhood memory.

That's why I have been slow to act. Because any decision I make in regards to DVC is not just me, and not just this year.
That sounds wise. To me it's difficult to justify making major changes to one's life to punish Disney for something... as you say it's a drop in the bucket. Certainly enough drops can add up, but instead make the decision for yourself and your family makes a lot of sense. There's a point where the value isn't worth the cost. I suppose it's a bit like a divorce... there's all of the emotional and financial and other entanglements once severed you're not coming back. It affects the whole family.

For what it's worth, I was heavily in with Disney (stock, DVC, AP's etc) throughout the 90's, but life changed and we parted ways. Over the last decade or so I've been working my way back, selectively and with eyes wide open. Phases of life and phases of Disney I suppose. I'll stay away from the stock and the AP's, but now I've bought back in to DVC and have trips planned every 2 or 3 years for the foreseeable future.

DVC isn't the cheapest way to experience Disney --far from it. It makes it more economical for sure for staying on-site; but to put DVC is the way forward of budget Disney experience -- that's just not correct.

For long term, and multiple yearly visits coupled with APs, yes DVC is the way forward for onsite stays.

Staying at a nearby VRBO condo and brown bagging is so much cheaper.

DVC isn't the cheapest way to experience Disney --far from it. It makes it more economical for sure for staying on-site; but to put DVC is the way forward of budget Disney experience -- that's just not correct.

For long term, and multiple yearly visits coupled with APs, yes DVC is the way forward for onsite stays.

Staying at a nearby VRBO condo and brown bagging is so much cheaper.
Certainly. I used to stay at POP before I bought into DVC. But without DVC and without a loss of those points that I have to use, I will not plan on visiting Disney and will use those dollars to go elsewhere, or perhaps skip leaving town altogether.

The structure that DVC provides is part of the reason that my family goes to Disney. It's a vicious circle. We buy DVC because we go to Disney and we go to Disney because we own DVC. Break the circle, and it's chaos. Dogs and cats living together. Mass Hysteria.

Attendance is down
Our next trip in June is 16 nights and, before food/knickknacks, is $8,000. We figure we will spend another $3,000-4,000 over two weeks. That’s $11-12,000 out of pocket.

It’s gotten too expensive.

Maybe we will rent out dvc for now, start skipping the trips or going every other year. Cutting expenses. But we can’t keep traveling or spending the way we have been on Disney.

Never been to universal yet but now curious.

Disney has lost our loyalty. No word on ticket prices, AP’s, genie plus and lightening lanes, nothing to help a repeat customer (us dvc’ers).

So yeah, I don’t think Disney really cares about us whom they consider a captive audience.

So my mind has started to wander, and may save the money when they need the money….

Last edited:
Crowds are down but park profitability is up.

Maybe they actually found the sweet spot

And yet, they say the parks are more profitable than ever. Those who are going now (or are still going) are apparently spending more than those who went pre-pandemic.

As that changes, more discounts and perks will reappear.
Yes currently, but this might change after everyone has done their "revenge" travel trips and burned through their savings. Hotel rooms are getting discounted 35% this summer, so Disney might be seeing this already.

I understand needing to pay for services. Nothing in this wolrd is free, I expect we'll need to buy air from some conglomerate soon. ;-) But being able to book 2 or 3 rides in advance,like the old FP+ system, for onsite guests would be awesome, even if we need to pay for it. We could work around our table service meals instead of having everything pop up and having to keep an eye on the phone while we're trying to enjoy a bit of quieter time. And that should apply to ALL onsite guests, not just DVC. It is almost like Disney values the people at offsite cheap motels as much as their onsite guests when we're forced to get out of bed and up early just to book a ride or join a virtual queue. As far as park reservations in general...I'm OK with that, as we always planned our table service meals in advance, which really is the same thing, as you have to choose a park to do that. Just be smarter about how you treat your onsite guests, Disney.

Last edited:
Our next trip in June is 16 nights and, before food/knickknacks, is $8,000. We figure we will spend another $3,000-4,000 over two weeks. That’s $11-12,000 out of pocket.

It’s gotten too expensive.

I'm not questioning your math but there are many different ways to "do disney." We've had trips spent in studios on the doorstep of a theme park (VGF, BCV), eating every meal in a restaurant and visiting the parks daily at a cost of thousands of dollars. And we've had trips spent in 1BR villas (OKW, SSR, AKV) where we cook most of our meals, visit the parks a couple times, take a ~15 minute bus ride (gasp) to reach the parks and have a balance of $0.00 on our account when we check-out.

Based upon your numbers, it kinda sounds like you're taking more of a deluxe, all-inclusive approach. Which is fine. But for SIXTEEN NIGHTS...yeah, it's going to cost a lot of money. I guarantee cash guests are paying even more because they aren't getting the benefit of using DVC points for the hotel and they don't get any perks not available to DVCers.

If you would rather visit Universal than WDW parks...go for it. Not sure how much it would save in the long run. Admission may be a little cheaper but you've still got meal expenses, lodging expenses, transportation, Express pass, etc. And there's the eternal question of whether your family actually feels that USF is suitable replacement for WDW.

2 weeks on a beach or hiking in a national park will cost you a lot less. But then you're not staying steps away from a theme park. Or even entering a theme park.

Yes currently, but this might change after everyone has done their "revenge" travel trips and burned through their savings. Hotel rooms are getting discounted 35% this summer, so Disney might be seeing this already.
People keep saying this but the travel industry is projecting an overall increase from 2022 to 2023.

Exactly how that filters down to Disney is unknown. It's possible that Disney's aggressive pricing will leave them struggling more than others in the hospitality industry. Still, I wouldn't view the mere existence of hotel discounts that business is in a sharp decline. Hotel discounts and packages for summer were commonplace pre-covid. "Free dining" was a thing every summer for years.

Like always, Disney is going to push the envelope on pricing most days and discount when necessary.

I'm not questioning your math but there are many different ways to "do disney." We've had trips spent in studios on the doorstep of a theme park (VGF, BCV), eating every meal in a restaurant and visiting the parks daily at a cost of thousands of dollars. And we've had trips spent in 1BR villas (OKW, SSR, AKV) where we cook most of our meals, visit the parks a couple times, take a ~15 minute bus ride (gasp) to reach the parks and have a balance of $0.00 on our account when we check-out.

Based upon your numbers, it kinda sounds like you're taking more of a deluxe, all-inclusive approach. Which is fine. But for SIXTEEN NIGHTS...yeah, it's going to cost a lot of money. I guarantee cash guests are paying even more because they aren't getting the benefit of using DVC points for the hotel and they don't get any perks not available to DVCers.

If you would rather visit Universal than WDW parks...go for it. Not sure how much it would save in the long run. Admission may be a little cheaper but you've still got meal expenses, lodging expenses, transportation, Express pass, etc. And there's the eternal question of whether your family actually feels that USF is suitable replacement for WDW.

2 weeks on a beach or hiking in a national park will cost you a lot less. But then you're not staying steps away from a theme park. Or even entering a theme park.
Yeah. That’s what we are considering… not going at all bc we definitely are hankering for an exit strategy. Maybe others are fine continuing to pay these prices but I’m not anymore.

I have 400 points and if I don’t use them I either have to rent or lose them. That’s over $3k in maintenance fees.

$3400 for hotel (dvc maintenance fees- boardwalk 1bd std/studios)
$3300 for park tickets (10 day hopper X 4ppl)
$2k airfare ($500 X 4ppl)
$200 transportation costs (both ends)

Thats $9k and we generally spend $1.5k per week on food or more (that’s only $210/day for a family of 4…. Not much by Disney standards at $50pp/day. That’s barely enough for one sit down dinner per person!)

I hope Disney is listening before we decide we would rather pocket the $$, sell or rent our dvc, and just not go to Disney going forward.

We aren’t big spenders. Would be nice to have that $12,000 that would otherwise be spent on a Disney vacation. That’s not chump change. And no, we cannot drive to Disney. Or not go in the parks while we are there. The whole point was to be next to the parks and make it easy with kids.

Not having access to the AP and paying $825+ per park ticket for 10 days really put us over the edge and has left a terribly sour taste in our mouth.

Our kids would likely have just as much fun elsewhere for a whole lot less than $12,000. And my bank account a wee bit happier.

Last edited:
Not having access to the AP and paying $825+ per park ticket for 10 days really put us over the edge and has left a terribly sour taste in our mouth.
APs would be $900+ with the obvious benefit of being usable for more than one trip if timed correctly.

Other than that, I don't see your math changing much. DVC dues aren't going down. Travel costs are out of Disney's hands.

For those DVCers that are all talking jumping ship. Is it solely the loss of AP access? If one goes once a year for extended time, a 10dy really isn't more than AP. I can see those going 2-3 a year it really affects, but not the yearly.

I think that's what Disney is trying to figure out the sweet spot with DVCers too; offer APs vs encourage yearly visits instead and concentrate the spending and boost the per person spend in park to address overcrowding

In the past We use to be able to pick 3 FP, pick times we like and sit at the resort till later that morning and then head to that park.

I really miss being able to do this — scheduling three FP in advance and then leisurely make my way to the park that day.

I know I can still buy Genie+ and stack a few for the afternoon/evening, but it takes more work and monitoring the app while I’m on vacation. Not to mention waking up at 7am on vacation if you want certain harder to get LL.

If you go on vacation you will most likely spend less than at Disney but it will still not be zero.

So, it is not $12,000 at Disney or zero.

I would guess an average vacation will run $6,000 at a minimum.

Is Disney worth that extra $6000 in comparison. That is different for every family.

facebook twitter