Does anyone else worry about child safety on thrill rides (m)

disneymania

Mouseketeer
Ok, I'll admit it, I'm a big chicken, but I am so worried about the safety of my 5 & 7 yr olds on R&RC & Tof T, Splash Mt. etc. Is there anyway a child could get hurt on these rides. What if they leaned the wrong way etc. My kids will probably go on these alone or with my sister who is much braver than I. I was actually considering going on these rides to "protect" my kids but don't want to if they are totally safe.

Thanks!!!

disneymania,
Sounds like you have some of the same feeling I , as well as most mom's, have had. I however felt so much safer at WDW than anywhere else my DS rides.My advise would be to not let your children see how "chicken" you are or you will pass that on to them. That being said, yes, anywhere i could, I rode and "held on" to my kid, when he was younger. Things like Splash Mt, TOT, or MTM this worke. Things like R&R or SM they have restrants or seating that make that hard to do. Children under 7 have to have an adult ride with them so you or their aunt will need to be witrh them.Now at 10 when he goes on the big inverted coaster and drop zone type rides, I just close my eyes!!

Jordan's mom

There have been reports of neurological damage from big coasters - especially with smaller kids, but even with adults, that is similar to shaken baby syndrome. I'd think twice about any ride where a lot of head shaking takes place - especially with a five year old. I've never been on R&RC, so I can't address how much of a shaky coaster it is. ToT and SM are more drop rides where this isn't an issue.

I did a little googling after posting that. It is rare. And it isn't linked by age too much. And the findings are controversial. Neurologist think it may have to do with G forces.

I wouldn't put my five year old on a big coaster, though

I've seen TV programs about roller coasters possibly causing brain damage, and I've thought about it in relation to WDW while watching them (since that's the only amusement park we go to). The rides they show in those programs are much, much rougher than anything at WDW. The only ride at WDW that I could see potentially ever having a problem would be RnR. It's extremely smooth, but it accelerates quickly and leaves you glued to your seat the whole time. I don't know what the G-force is on that ride, but I'm guessing it's a little high (though not that bad compared to some of the really scary coasters in other parks). I wouldn't worry about that at all with Splash, Thunder, or Space Mountains. All 3 of those rides are really pretty tame.

While I think the rides are perfectly safe if you follow the rules, I wouldn't be too sure about putting a 5 year old on without an adult. What if the child gets scared and stands up or tries to get out. Young children should always be accompanied by a responsible adult. When my youngest was about 3-4, he stood up on a log flume. Fortunately he was between my legs so I sat him right back down.

LKS, that was one of my main concerns with my 5 yr old too. I just don't trust what he'll do. It isn't so much the ride as how he will react. I think that he'll have to wait until the next trip for really scarey rides unless my DH gets brave in next 5 days!!!

I am a roller coaster junkie. I will drive for hours just for a fix! LOL! all of the coasters at Disney are tame. Rock and roll is a blast but they do have a height restriction. I don't know many 5 year olds who could ride it due to the height restrictions..
Our kids love thrill rides, 7 and almost 4. They will ride anything they are tall enough for. I make sure they truly are, with out shoes tall enough.

I worry a bit about ds (9) 'cuz he's so skinny and tiny. I make dh sit behind him on Space Mountain and hold onto his shoulders so he doesn't fall out! :teeth:

:) Disneymania,
I am a huge chicken too and I just wanted to tell you that you should try Splash Mountain as a family -- it is not that scary and it is very cute. I was scared to try it too and ended up loving it! I would be very nervous about letting my 3 y.o. ds ride anything alone for the same reasons as you. He went on his first little kiddie ride alone at the mall the other day and I was so nervous he would try to just jump off. He didn't but dh said that I looked ready to jump over the gate ;) . Glad to know I am not the only one. Have a great trip!

I did actually do splash MT. with the kids on our last visit. (older 2 were 3 & 5 then). I can't say that I loved it. I held on to my 3 yr old for dear life...he was so mad at me. he he. I think I may try BTMR this time.

We'll see. Now if only they served drinks in MK, I may be braver. Just kidding, of course!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter