Does anyone else deal with this?

Funny but a very important point. WDW is a relatively safe playground.

The differences are becoming really obvious as I’m preparing my family for a trip to Italy. This is the first trip abroad we are taking since the kids have become young adults. They were under our wing at 12 or 15yo but now they need to watch out for themselves if they are to spread their wings. We parents have to do the same. We all need to pay more attention than we would need at WDW.
Yeah make yourself aware of all the many scams before you go. (sounds as if you are)

I don't want to be a downer and I am sure your have a great time but be prepared.

Most people are somewhat aware - but I have seen some very street smart people taken advantage of by the gladiators in Rome. From the second you are talking to them they are sizing you up to see how much cash you have on you- one even mentioned - isn't that a Rolex Submariner - nope its an Invicta looks really close and I was quite clear to show it to him. In the end I paid 2 Euros for the photo, I think we started at 10 for one photo. I've seen people arguing about 20 to 50 Euros for a photo - that's because they did not ask beforehand. Get the price first. I know this is common in the US as well - but they are very organized in Rome and several of them will show up to back the other - I even recall two of the main groups fighting in front of the colosseum one year.
I no longer wore the watch that trip as I felt it would make me a target.

Also if anyone tries to give you anything for free - like a bracelet - ignore them and keep moving. Its not free. This is a very common one especially at the Spanish steps and again they back each other up.

Pickpockets are rampant and well organized - be extra careful getting on and off trains - young well dressed people may push you down the stairs and then apologize and help you up and their friend leaves with your wallet. The police are not interested and either don't speak English or pretend not to. Had my niece who is from Milan not been there to translate then I doubt my SIL would have even been able to file a report - which she needed for insurance reasons and to get an new passport.

I've been approached with the dropped ring scam more than once in many different countries - just keep going and don't engage them as the may become enraged when you call them out. I only did that once and it got somewhat ugly. I just kept going.

Without a doubt watch some of the you tube videos and always be vigilant.

All that said - I travel to Europe quite a bit and I've never had an issue, but I am always watching and take lots of precautions. i suspect they can tell who the easy marks are and go for those.
I am concerned as I get older I do become more of a target though.

Yeah make yourself aware of all the many scams before you go. (sounds as if you are)

I don't want to be a downer and I am sure your have a great time but be prepared.

Most people are somewhat aware - but I have seen some very street smart people taken advantage of by the gladiators in Rome. From the second you are talking to them they are sizing you up to see how much cash you have on you- one even mentioned - isn't that a Rolex Submariner - nope its an Invicta looks really close and I was quite clear to show it to him. In the end I paid 2 Euros for the photo, I think we started at 10 for one photo. I've seen people arguing about 20 to 50 Euros for a photo - that's because they did not ask beforehand. Get the price first. I know this is common in the US as well - but they are very organized in Rome and several of them will show up to back the other - I even recall two of the main groups fighting in front of the colosseum one year.
I no longer wore the watch that trip as I felt it would make me a target.

Also if anyone tries to give you anything for free - like a bracelet - ignore them and keep moving. Its not free. This is a very common one especially at the Spanish steps and again they back each other up.

Pickpockets are rampant and well organized - be extra careful getting on and off trains - young well dressed people may push you down the stairs and then apologize and help you up and their friend leaves with your wallet. The police are not interested and either don't speak English or pretend not to. Had my niece who is from Milan not been there to translate then I doubt my SIL would have even been able to file a report - which she needed for insurance reasons and to get an new passport.

I've been approached with the dropped ring scam more than once in many different countries - just keep going and don't engage them as the may become enraged when you call them out. I only did that once and it got somewhat ugly. I just kept going.

Without a doubt watch some of the you tube videos and always be vigilant.

All that said - I travel to Europe quite a bit and I've never had an issue, but I am always watching and take lots of precautions. i suspect they can tell who the easy marks are and go for those.
I am concerned as I get older I do become more of a target though.
Thanks for taking the time. It is helpful! Of course as the Mom it’s my job to worry. I don’t want to scare anybody but also make the point to be vigilant and what to watch out for especially.

I just say that it is an escape from real life, where we can be carefree. Simple as that. It's also easy for us. We've been so often through the years that there really isn't much planning required anymore. We need gluten free and WDW manages that flawlessly. We always know how to have fun there without much thought, even if we don't get to do everything we want to. It's an easy 8hr drive for us.

On another note, we have taken our kids and continue to do so about 1x per year, but our kids are 15-27 and we can finally get away without them. DH and I go about 3x/year alone, then 1 trip with whichever kids want to come. The last 3 years, it's just been the 15 and 19 yos. No grandkids yet, but we'll take them, too. :flower1:

@Genie+ Another travel tip outside of Disney (this is more for international) - When you're taking a selfie, someone around might ask if you would like them to take a photo for you, ALWAYS say no. They seem very kind but the second you hand them your phone, they could run and they are gone before you realize what just happened. Unless it's a restaurant/hotel staff, then of course that's fine. In Europe, a lot of them are always hanging around the touristy sites and just waiting for someone to fall into that trap.

BTW, that's an exciting trip! So many things to see in Italy!

I bought DVC as a single 28 year old, so you could say I'm not the conventional Disney park goer. I visit because it's fun and easy. I travel a lot to both Disney and non-Disney destinations, thanks to living somewhat frugally at home and working a good job with plenty of PTO. As much as people complain about how complicated Disney is to plan, I find it's fun to put together ahead of time, then I can turn off my brain when I arrive. Basically, it's really fun when you have adult money and can do whatever you want.

@Genie+ Another travel tip outside of Disney (this is more for international) - When you're taking a selfie, someone around might ask if you would like them to take a photo for you, ALWAYS say no. They seem very kind but the second you hand them your phone, they could run and they are gone before you realize what just happened. Unless it's a restaurant/hotel staff, then of course that's fine. In Europe, a lot of them are always hanging around the touristy sites and just waiting for someone to fall into that trap.

Yeah - agreed 100%. I always carry a decent cheap camera and may ask people to take a picture if its obvious they are a couple etc.. Its always a camera I don't really care about loosing, unlike the phone. I'm always extra careful with the phone - mostly because phone theft is so rampant in Ireland.

The other one is a little less known - someone will ask you to take a photo of them. When you hand them back the camera they will drop it and then start yelling and threaten to call the police etc... Basically a shakedown and they usually have people to back them up.

On the positive side it is mostly "petty" crime like this and you are far safer than most (if not all) US cities.

Chevy Chase and European Vacation popped into my head!

The other one is a little less known - someone will ask you to take a photo of them. When you hand them back the camera they will drop it and then start yelling and threaten to call the police etc... Basically a shakedown and they usually have people to back them up.
Ah that's a good one and I can totally see it happening. Thanks for sharing!

I get asked this all the time.

Those that know me best don’t ever question it.

Those that are new to my life ask me…..

Don’t you get bored?
I say nope - every vacation is a different experience in regards to what we do and when we do it.

How do you consider that a vacation when you’re doing stuff all the time?
I say that even though I’m busy, I’m relaxed. My biggest stress is getting to my next Lightning Lane and getting to any ADR’s I made. My family and I are on the same page in regards to what we do, so there’s no bickering and no drama.

How do you afford it? It’s to expensive.
I say that I don’t drink, I don’t smoke, I don’t gamble and we barely go out to eat. That extra money that others spend on things I mention goes into a vacation fund. You can do a lot if you’re smart with your finances and plan ahead.

How can you tolerate the crowds?
I say that I love the vibe, and watching others have fun is a great thing to experience.

In the end..,.there’s nothing someone has asked me that I haven’t had an educated answer for. Granted, it’s no one’s business why we go when we do, it’s just conversation people are making. I do find it funny though how people can question all of us on why we go to a Disney Park often, but God forbid if we questioned them on why they just want to sit around in an all inclusive doing nothing all day besides sitting by a pool or beach (which, for the record, is very enjoyable to do too). I think many people would like to experience Disney Parks like we all do, but they don’t know how to let their inner child come out, let go of acting their age for a few days and just let loose. That’s one reason why my DD20 and I have so much fun together at WDW (and everywhere) - we just act silly together and we don’t care if people see us, because more than likely, they are acting a little silly too when they are at WDW.

We are middle aged and get the negative comments all the time.
We've been told we are complete weirdos for doing Disney without kids.

Our upcoming trip will be with grandkids.
Our friends have deemed that acceptable!

The next time that some asks me where we are headed on vacation, I will just say Florida to be with my people!

Never visited Disney anything until my youngest was a tween. Enjoyed the day and added it to other memories.
About 20 years later took his daughter on a promised WDW trip with her cousin and found it made for a great inter generational vacation.

I’ll admit my elder sister looked at me strangely when I kept returning to WDW but but I looked at her strangely for leaving NYC for the wilds of Westchester 🤣
See how that works? 😎

How do you afford it? It’s to expensive.
I say that I don’t drink, I don’t smoke, I don’t gamble and we barely go out to eat. That extra money that others spend on things I mention goes into a vacation fund. You can do a lot if you’re smart with your finances and plan ahead.
To be fair on that one it doesn't take doing those other things that would make Disney, as a destination point, unaffordable to people. Most people who have that financial pinch are just doing everyday life stuff, they have finances like utilities, rent, mortgage, food (and no that's not meaning they are eating out) and other normal expenditures. And it's usually far worse for those with children.

If the point of the thread is why are people making assumptions towards going to Disney (and without kids as a main focal point) then trying not to assume that other people are just frivolously spending money elsewhere would be good too. People aren't able to afford Disney because they are indulging in vices (since you mentioned drinking, smoking and gambling) :) It IS an expensive place to go from tickets to airfare to food never mind the extra stuff and can be hard to work in with just normal life stuff. I'm glad you're able to go but it's more than just being smart with your finances and planning ahead.

I got it for years, mostly from coworkers or acquaintances. Several of those were people who would go to the same place every year.. Ex: my dentist always commented but then he’d go to Martha’s Vineyard every summer, the same Florida beach town vacation every winter. 🤷🏻‍♀️. Some of my family don’t like to travel, so they never commented one way or the other. Some of my family like Disney as well & would tease they wanted to hide in our suitcases. The last several years before I retired, I worked with several other big WDW fans, so we’d all love talking Disney, that was great. My opinion has always been, if you want to pay for my vacation, you get an opinion on where I go. If I’m paying, then “nunyabiznes”. :laughing:

Perhaps I have become some what grouchy in my later years, but I tell them "When you are paying for my vacation, then you can have an opinion."

(But then again I am Carl Fredricksen in training.):rotfl2:

To be fair on that one it doesn't take doing those other things that would make Disney, as a destination point, unaffordable to people. Most people who have that financial pinch are just doing everyday life stuff, they have finances like utilities, rent, mortgage, food (and no that's not meaning they are eating out) and other normal expenditures. And it's usually far worse for those with children.

If the point of the thread is why are people making assumptions towards going to Disney (and without kids as a main focal point) then trying not to assume that other people are just frivolously spending money elsewhere would be good too. People aren't able to afford Disney because they are indulging in vices (since you mentioned drinking, smoking and gambling) :) It IS an expensive place to go from tickets to airfare to food never mind the extra stuff and can be hard to work in with just normal life stuff. I'm glad you're able to go but it's more than just being smart with your finances and planning ahead.

The other part of it though is people commonly assuming if you’re spending thousands each year at WDW you’re either very rich or being foolish with your money. When it comes to disposable income, the same budget may or may not afford WDW depending what other hobbies and interests have already been spent on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter