Do you think bag checking improves park security?

Do you think Disney's bag checking improves park security?

• Yes, it definitely does.

• No, it's a dog and pony show.

• Maybe a little bit

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm in favor, if for no other reason than the fact that the park is no longer filled with selfie sticks everywhere. If anyone remembers a few years ago, it was getting out of hand. You couldn't walk anywhere without getting hit in the head. Even on the Haunted Mansion, you could see a whole row of cars and each one had a stick swiveling out. I almost had it when the buggy in front of me kept taking pictures into my buggy.

Not saying none of them can be sneaked in anymore, but you hardly see them now.

Its mostly for piece of mind. People feel better that they exist. Yes, there is a small degree of deterrent but I doubt to a meaningful amount. Its weird to me how somehow people view Disney as some sort of target for The Boogeymen Du Jour, yet I cant think of any sort of planned violence that has occurred at any theme park anywhere in the world, which invariably have different levels of security.

With the increased security at Disney, its almost certain that prior to them people from all over the world brought prohibited items, even guns and knives, onto the property, enjoyed their day and left without incident. I dont say this as an argument against security checks, but we should at least acknowledge them for what they are, more comfort than reality.

I think the main reason for the security check is to slow everyone down so the real security can do some profiling and decide who they want to watch.

Yes, I really do agree with this!! Actually, while we're a ways off - especially at AK - we have looked around the complete area and we 'have' seen those that are watching - even before you reach bag area.

The 'danger' that I can see at WDW (or any very large gathering) is mainly the huge crowds in condensed areas that can be a soft target.

Its mostly for piece of mind. People feel better that they exist. Yes, there is a small degree of deterrent but I doubt to a meaningful amount. Its weird to me how somehow people view Disney as some sort of target for The Boogeymen Du Jour, yet I cant think of any sort of planned violence that has occurred at any theme park anywhere in the world, which invariably have different levels of security.

With the increased security at Disney, its almost certain that prior to them people from all over the world brought prohibited items, even guns and knives, onto the property, enjoyed their day and left without incident. I dont say this as an argument against security checks, but we should at least acknowledge them for what they are, more comfort than reality.

I don't think there is anyone on this board who knows how much good the checks do in reality. It is one of those things it is not worth the time it takes to worry about. You either deal with the check and go on with your vacation, or vacation elsewhere. Kind of like the rooms checks. Some of the stuff Disney does is annoying, but our only other option is to vacations somewhere else.

Personally I think the only thing that they are securing is that entrance. Someone who really wants inside will just find another way. And on the other hand I feel like creating this bottle neck is only creating an additional soft target with a bunch of people all focused on getting where they want to go and crammed into a concentrated space. I mean why bother even trying to get inside when Disney has conveniently bunched all of these guests together for you?

I feel like the bag checks really only serve to enforce rules for guests. Glass bottles, selfie sticks, pocket knives, things guest forgot they had or didn’t know they couldn’t bring in. And even then not very well. One day they will barely squish my backpack and peek on top, the next the guy wants me to open everything, even a see through bag of diapers and my small leather Dooney and Burke credit card wallet- that is barely big enough to fit credit cards. Because what on earth could I be holding in there, and does that seriously fit any profile for someone who wants to do harm?

I hope that the bag checks are also a pretense for monitoring behavior. A security expert once told me that 80% of what they're looking for are signs of suspicious reaction. Sure, they still have to pat down Nanna every once in a while to make sure she's not packing a switchblade. But when you look someone in the eyes and greet them, you increase your chance of noticing that something is a little off about them or if their motives require further investigation. That's more important than a thorough search of every baby bag.

It's just an opportunity for someone to look for (and hopefully catch) one or two signs of trouble, not because they can actually do a rummaging and thorough metal wanding of all your personal property. Not saying it's foolproof, but if you can trip up a terrorist with nerves of steel even once, it's worth it.

I'm not an expert, but having worked for Disney, I realize that some things are just stupid policies and some things are done for reasons they can't tell the public. What looks like theater or a waste of resources is sometimes for a very good reason and sometimes not. It turns out that it's actually hard to tell the difference if you're not in the know.

What do I propose? I propose that the entire Disney Bubble be sealed up. You get searched once when you enter the bubble, that's it. If you leave the bubble, you get searched again. Otherwise you are cleared. The last I heard, people in the monorail resorts have to be searched twice to get into Epcot. Ugh.

I really don't see how cars and bus-loads of people being stopped at the entrances to property and undergoing searches there would be any less annoying. Having gone through security checkpoints (to enter a military base) where my car had to be searched, I can tell you that it takes for-ev-er.

Not entirely sure about going from monorail resorts to Epcot, but I think they may have addressed that issue because when I went from Epcot to MK by monorail I did not have to go through security between the parks - having gone through security for Epcot, apparently the monorail stations were included in the security bubble between the two parks. Got to the TTC, got on the ferry, walked straight up to MK, no security stops.

Personally I think the only thing that they are securing is that entrance. Someone who really wants inside will just find another way. And on the other hand I feel like creating this bottle neck is only creating an additional soft target with a bunch of people all focused on getting where they want to go and crammed into a concentrated space. I mean why bother even trying to get inside when Disney has conveniently bunched all of these guests together for you?

I feel like the bag checks really only serve to enforce rules for guests. Glass bottles, selfie sticks, pocket knives, things guest forgot they had or didn’t know they couldn’t bring in. And even then not very well. One day they will barely squish my backpack and peek on top, the next the guy wants me to open everything, even a see through bag of diapers and my small leather Dooney and Burke credit card wallet- that is barely big enough to fit credit cards. Because what on earth could I be holding in there, and does that seriously fit any profile for someone who wants to do harm?

That's why Disney has been de-centralizing the security checkpoints, particularly around the Magic Kingdom. By putting checkpoints at the entrances of the transportation to the parks (monorail, boats, etc.) they avoid having a large, pre-security crowd in front of the park. Same thing at Disneyland; you go through security when you leave the parking garage, before getting on the tram. The setup for some of the other WDW parks makes it difficult to spread security out like that, but the bottleneck is something that's been addressed by changes in security procedures over the last few years.

And before the shooting in Aurora, I couldn't think of any planned violence that happened in a movie theater. This is the reality in which we live, and in the absence of society-wide changes to address it, companies like Disney are going to do what they can do to mitigate the risk themselves because they don't want to be the site of the next mass shooting.

The only reason I don't like bag checks is that I have to wait in line. There is enough waiting in Disney already. I don't mind room checks near as much because at least I don't have to wait. I don't care if Disney wants to know my life history or X-ray my stuff or whatever, just as long as I don't have to wait in line.

I can't explain why I think bag checks don't work because that may violate Disboards policy of discussing how to disobey Disney rules. But as long as the people think they serve a purpose, then they do.

That's just it. I don't want to be slowed down. I want to hit that park as quickly as possible!

I've never been to Universal, but if they have X-ray so that I don't have to open my bags, that's a big improvement.

What do I propose? I propose that the entire Disney Bubble be sealed up. You get searched once when you enter the bubble, that's it. If you leave the bubble, you get searched again. Otherwise you are cleared. The last I heard, people in the monorail resorts have to be searched twice to get into Epcot. Ugh.
There is no Disney bubble. I live 10 miles from WDW, and my husband works for Disney. Do you know how many roads there are that lead on and off Disney property? Where would you propose to have this one security check? All the parks aren't next door to each other. AK and MK are miles apart.

Couldn't hurt!!!
Actually it can hurt, if there are long lines at a security check point the line itself could be attacked (think suicide bombers) I see the real danger at some of the DLR lines, from what I've seen the wdw security lines aren't as bad though.

Actually it can hurt, if there are long lines at a security check point the line itself could be attacked (think suicide bombers) I see the real danger at some of the DLR lines, from what I've seen the wdw security lines aren't as bad though.
Long line or short line would mean very little to a suicide bomber, so I still think that I couldn't hurt. It might, if nothing else deter someone from bringing in items that might accidentally harm someone because of the ever present John Wayne syndrome of some "muricans". As stated before if someone wants to sneak in from the perimeter and is able to dodge the snakes and gators... a security check point would be a comical after thought.

Long line or short line would mean very little to a suicide bomber, so I still think that I couldn't hurt. It might, if nothing else deter someone from bringing in items that might accidentally harm someone because of the ever present John Wayne syndrome of some "muricans". As stated before if someone wants to sneak in from the perimeter and is able to dodge the snakes and gators... a security check point would be a comical after thought.
Well to be more specific it's density that terrorist are after ..the more packed in people are the better but it also should be a good amount of people..the more the better ..not sure where you get that they wouldn't care about how long or short (crowded) a line is ...they don't tend to pick slow venues to attack.

Also the "items" I assume your talking about only really started being caught after metal detectors...didn't really seem to be a problem (accidental injury) all the years before metal detectors.

Well to be more specific it's density that terrorist are after ..the more packed in people are the better but it also should be a good amount of people..the more the better ..not sure where you get that they wouldn't care about how long or short (crowded) a line is ...they don't tend to pick slow venues to attack.

Also the "items" I assume your talking about only really started being caught after metal detectors...didn't really seem to be a problem (accidental injury) all the years before metal detectors.
The actuality is that fewer are hurt in a heavy crowd then in a light crowd area if it is an explosive device. Other human bodies collect the debris before it gets to far. Rifles maybe, but, that isn't what you were talking about. All those years before metal detectors were not years that it seemed to be in fashion to be defenders in mind. Besides were in WDW can you go that doesn't have heavy lines everywhere. It isn't a deterrent for terrorists it is a deterrent for crazy wanna be bad guys and even wanna be hero's. Whatever, the case it doesn't do any harm, the few second delay can be lived through. I believe the couldn't hurt was my original response. I'm sure you have a junior G-man kit and know better, but, that is what I think about it.

Total security theater.

Too many ways into the parks that aren't checked. And too many people/things going in through security that aren't checked. For example, how many times have you see security look under a scooter or stroller. And I am not talking about the storage compartment.

In fact, causing the back up at security, creates a target.

The actuality is that fewer are hurt in a heavy crowd then in a light crowd area if it is an explosive device. Other human bodies collect the debris before it gets to far. Rifles maybe, but, that isn't what you were talking about. All those years before metal detectors were not years that it seemed to be in fashion to be defenders in mind. Besides were in WDW can you go that doesn't have heavy lines everywhere. It isn't a deterrent for terrorists it is a deterrent for crazy wanna be bad guys and even wanna be hero's. Whatever, the case it doesn't do any harm, the few second delay can be lived through. I believe the couldn't hurt was my original response. I'm sure you have a junior G-man kit and know better, but, that is what I think about it.
Sorry your right terror targets are always the less crowded venues and events...they never attack choke points ..always wide open areas with few people roaming around.:-) glad theatre makes you feel safe though, since Disney will do what it will do, I just ask they keep the wait down.

Last edited:
Sorry your right terror targets are always the less crowded venues and events...they never attack choke points ..always wide open areas with few people roaming around.:-) glad theatre makes you feel safe though, since Disney will do what it will do, I just ask they keep the wait down.

I don't think it theater, I think they do it to profile us, so that the real security can decide if we are a threat or not.

If we can do a decent enough job working retail to profile shoplifters, I'm sure Disney can do a good job profiling who is a threat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!