Do you let your kids miss school?

What a hot topic! I have to admit I have had this debate with several of my friends in the past few years. The first thing I have to say is that I don't see how it makes any difference what grades your child is getting or whether they are considered to be adavanced or behind (two terms I absolutely abhor when describing children). Many of my family friends feel that I support taking my kids away from school for vacation because they do well so I feel no guilt.

Actually, I feel no guilt, but for very different reasons. I wrote a paper a few years ago about the empty time that occurs in our education system. There is a lot of padding time as teachers transition from one topic to the next. If you communicate well with your childs teacher, it should be easy to plan around these times...a teacher will generaly plan in 6, 8 or 12 week increments, with a week or two of review to segway into the new topic for each subject. Other than that, avoid times when important tests will happen, school events or when special projects are planned.

Some teachers are so staunchly opposed to children being pulled from school at all (even for Dr.'s appts!) that they will not help you facilitate the best time. I've read articles where teachers swear kids on the honor roll have missed a week of assignments and fallen so far behind that they can't catch up.
?????????????????????? This seems really ridiculous to me. Even if you don't try to optimize the best time to pull your kids, the odds of them missing anything that is so crucial that they can't catch up are incredible. Just look at what your child does in a week...the actual time they give individual attention to learning something new a week actually boils down to less than 2/3 of the time they spend in school once you subtract transistion times, breaks, extra curricular activities and the time the teacher must spend with the other 20-29 kids in the class.
I agree that the time spent in class becomes more important the higher the grade level, but at the same time it becomes much easier for the kids in middle to high school to complete their assignments independently.
In the past, I always tried to arrange with my children's teachers to send me off with a packet of the work they would miss. Generally, this is completed on the plane ride or drive to our destination. We go one step further and include lots of different activities that involve the trip. We talk about the states we cross, important facts about them. We talk about what type of plane we are on, what makes it different than others. We talk about the finances of the trip, how it breaks down per person, per day, per event, or about the profit that our expenses give to the business we are paying. You'd think this is dull for kids, but it is really a crack up. We count things, we talk about nutrition; the last time we went to the local zoo, my youngest son kept a rolling total in his head of all our expenses from gas to parking to refreshments and admission! He turned it into a little comedy routine that kept us laughing all the way home.
Basically, I say pull your kids out if it works for your family. Help them realize that the school of life is also important. Education is the most important thing in our family, but it includes more than 2+2 and ABC. Also, every place you go is full of educational opportunity if you get creative with it! Good luck and just have fun...the memories you create with your family are as important as anything else in life. :thumbsup2

JenJen said:
Amy I really hope that you were not pointing out the fact that I only think gifted kids can miss a day at Disneyland. My son has Aspergers syndrome and my daughter has ADHD with SIDS. Although my daughter get all A's because she works her (_!_) off to do it and it takes her way more effort to get good grades then the average child . That has nothing to do with why she or her brother gets to go. If she or my son are stuggling in school I just don't think it is worth it to pull them out of school to go to Disneyland. If missing days of school means it is going to set them back for the entire semester it is in there best intrest not to miss school to go. It is a personal choice I have made. Both of my kids have to work very very hard to get the grades they do and I can care less what there grades are as long as they give 100% effort.
My own personal and opionion choice is that school comes before fun. Everyone makes choices for there kids that are best for them.
If you were not refering to me I apologise. I just don't want anyone to think that my kids are going because of there grades and that makes them any beter then anyone elses kids. If they both had a 4.0 and had a bad attitude at school they would not go period.

That was completely not what I was saying! I was more just trying to make the point that parents of kids who don't make good grades should not automatically rule out taking their kids out of school! I have one kid that does really well, one that doesn't and I dont' see much difference in how well they can make up the work or get back into the routine. That's all I was saying. I just think that sometimes it just makes sense financially or just for convenience sake to take the kids out and take a vacation and that while it may not be the choice we are the most proud of as parents, by all means kids of all academic levels can survive missing school once in awhile!

I would agree that the age/grade makes all the difference. My DD is now in Sr Highschool and the few days school she missed in November made a much bigger difference than they ever have before.

hlbtimes2 said:
I dont think anyone is saying they have to get straight A's to go on vacation. I think most people would agree that if a child is behind and struggling to keep up with the class its more important for them to be there and vacation can wait. For some kids missing one or two days, even if they dont get the best grades isnt a big deal. For another child missing a day or two could set them back so far that they dont recover for months. Its all about knowing your child and what they are capable of.

And that is exactly what I am saying. If a kid has the dedication and perserverance to make up the work that is a separate issue over the letter grades they receive. I see this debated, sometimes for 10 or more pages on the WDW side of disboards. It gets so heated, with people on both sides of the issue getting so worked up. And so often people say, I can do it because my kid is a good student, end of discussion. My point is that being a good student encompasses more than grades and that absolutely it is an individual family decision that must be made on a child by child basis.

Oh I so agree ! My DD has high functioning autism, and we have pulled her out of school for a weeks vacation every year so far (K-9). She is by no imagination a "straight A student" but the avarage school day requires twice as much effort as for other kids. Without some extra breaks she would really burn out. I know it has not harmed her knowlege base or skill levels since we work with her so much( and in fact has truely enriched both)....if it has harmed her "grades" my attitude is pretty much "who cares" because i certainly don't !

My kids school policy is no work sent for vacations , all has to be made up after and if you have a strict teacher no make up at all on class work. :confused3 I am considering just saying the boys were sick for the 3 days they will miss . I have found teachers with kids more easy going about this , they understand . We get a calender of school year events and I do avoid when they take major tests and other important events , but I am lucky too know them months in advance.

I am the one who originally asked this question... and I have to say you all have opened my eyes. I have a first grader who excells in everything, so I told myself it was ok to go for 5 days, two of them being the weekend. Id take journaling and reading along the plane ride, etc etc. She is so advanced and that makes it ok. Well, I have a preschooler, who will probably not be excelling at everything in the first grade. BUT I know if he tries and behaves to the best of his abilities, I WILL take him out for three days too! I know he is who he is, and that is who he is supposed to be, and Im not going to change that... but I will take him on vacations! I may get a few dirty looks from teachers when that happens with him, but thats ok too.

Judy from Boise said:
Yea! Another empowered parent!
I second that! Good for you...put all your worries behind, let your heart lead the way...and have fun!!!! :thumbsup2

mAlien13 said:
I second that! Good for you...put all your worries behind, let your heart lead the way...and have fun!!!! :thumbsup2

I agree! There was a thread in the fall this last year that got some folks really charged up. With all the "false" education days built into most systems that I can not see why it matters. Is it better to go to Disneyland with the family or spend time doing finals, playing games and watching movies?
I can see where some get behind, I can see where some children have a more difficult time with what the system wants, but the school districts have gotten into bullying the parents. Everyone seems to forget that the children are "our" responsibilty. There are many teachers in all systems that are still in the system because of tenure not worth.
Enough said, any district that refuses to release a child for any reason to a parent/custodian needs to have a visit by a legal professional.
The easiest way out, make sure you contact the principle/designee about the absent time and make sure the student makes up their work. Good communication is always a better and I do not mean telling them something false. Not a good example for the kids.

Have a great day,

Jack pirate:

being-dragged-to-DL said:
I am the one who originally asked this question... and I have to say you all have opened my eyes. I have a first grader who excells in everything, so I told myself it was ok to go for 5 days, two of them being the weekend. Id take journaling and reading along the plane ride, etc etc. She is so advanced and that makes it ok. Well, I have a preschooler, who will probably not be excelling at everything in the first grade. BUT I know if he tries and behaves to the best of his abilities, I WILL take him out for three days too! I know he is who he is, and that is who he is supposed to be, and Im not going to change that... but I will take him on vacations! I may get a few dirty looks from teachers when that happens with him, but thats ok too.

Well good for you! And a couple of other things, first of all your little one may surprise you. My daughter was always very bright, learned to talk early, was very social and then suddenly in her last year of preschool just seemed to have trouble. Wouldn't write her name, had a terrible time with pre-reading etc. By the time she was in first grade, she was practically off the charts with her skills and not in a good way. Well now after some special ed, some tutoring and just the time she needed to mature or whatever, she is doing much better. She doesn't need special ed help anymore, keeps up with the class and when they took the practice test for CSAP this week (Colorado's standardized test) she scored the highest in her class! I was thrilled and it just goes to show, you never know! She has been a hard worker and so diligent and it paid off. So sometimes kids just mature differently and they catch up just fine in the end. Also, the teachers likely won't give you any dirty looks for missing school, most teachers hate the many dumb and inflexible rules administrations and politicians set for schools and will work with you, even if it is under the table! And also I think teachers are also more likely to work with and be flexible with parents who try hard, work with their kids and want to do right by their children. It sounds like you are that way and again, my experience has been that never one time when I have taken my kids out for vacation (and I don't do it often or for long periods of times) has a teacher been anything but thrilled our family is getting to go someplace. I agree with another poster, we are the parents, these are OUR kids and we need to remember who is in charge of their upbringing.

As a teacher, I take off mid-week a couple of times each year to take my family to Disneyland. You will never get this time back with your kids so making a few special days for them is great. I always plan my away days when my students can do without me... a.k.a. the sub can't possibly screw-up the plans and the kids need the work time. So I balance a different guilt.

As for this "filler" time you all have been talking about, I can't imagine it, but that's me. I think it is a "myth" that is repeated as a justification for pulling kids out of school. Just take your family and enjoy a few days without creating a story to justify it or make teachers sound lazy.

I have students who are pulled out for a month each year going to India or Germany and it is at that point that I get concerned. As long as they keep up with the work that I send, which is a HUGE pain to get together, they usually do fine. If you are in California and you take your kids out for more than a week, you can get an OCIS contract to take with you. Just beware if you don't do the work. The school will lose money and your child will be marked truant. So don't take more than five days.

I take my kids AND my DH out of school for trips!! :lmao: :lmao:

Missing a day of school makes more mountains of paper for DH than it does for the kids, but it's worth it to spend time together!

We take them out for a full week. Yes, they have to be trying hard and doing well in school and yes, they absolutely have to tell their teachers beforehand and make up all assignments. And yes, yes, yes, we get rude looks and/or remarks about it sometimes.

However, we might not go on vacation or might have more stress on vacation if we didn't take them out of school because it's cheaper and less crowded during the school season. Also, I figure my kids aren't going to remember what happened at school that week but we will have family memories to last a lifetime from our vacation experience!

I'm a former teacher myself, and I'll say it never bothered me when people took their kids out of school unless they didn't pre-arrange it or the kids didn't make up the work. My pet peeve was when they asked for the assignments then lost them on the trip and asked for them again when they got back. I think that is the stuff that makes the teachers cranky about it!

depending on what's going on schoolwise (tests, projects, etc...) we've taken our daughter out of school...we usually plan trips on weekends, so she'd usually miss the thursday and / or friday before the trip and the monday after.

We took our kids 11 and 13, out of school for 3 weeks at the end of last year to visit your beautiful country.

Our school system is obviously very different to the US or the UK!

We don't have to ask permission and the schools do not gain or loose "credits" or anything if the kids are away.

It is basically up to the individual parents (within reason) and our trip to America was greeted with enthusiasm and envy by the teachers.

I did check with both the girls teacher's early in the year, at the time we had 2 different time periods to choose from. One included 2 weeks vacation time and the other was Nov with no vacation time. Both said November would be better, even though it meant so much time off school. Our year finishes around Dec. 20, and by the time we went away all the years assessments had been completed. Both teacher's commented on how our kids were only young and that they would learn far more from our trip than if that time was spent at school!

We did take some Math away for the 13y/o, which she is still slowly catching up on! :teacher:

And it WAS an awesome experience!
They/we learnt so much about the differences between our countries and the 13 y/o even got to go to school for a day with some expat friends!
Priceless memories!

Time spent as a family is never a wasted investment! :thumbsup2

We talked to our 1st grade sons teacher BEFORE we planned our vacation and asked if it was ok if we pulled him out for a full 2 weeks. She told us to have fun! Now I will admit, I am a little chicken and havent told the school admin yet, but at least I know what matters-SHE doesnt feel that it will affect him.

We are pulling him out 1 wk after Presidents break, and the week he gets back are half days for parent conferences, so he will have those days to make up his work. We were told that it really is the best time to pull him out.

This is a once in a long time trip, and I dont plan on being able to do it once he is in the higher grades, so we are going. He is doing great in school, has only missed 3 days since the start due to illness, and I figure it will be a great family experience.

So yes, we are pulling him out for 10 school days. A 17 day trip.

I'm taking mine out of school. I figure you're only young once and they deserve a vacation as much as the rest of us.

carinv said:
We took our kids 11 and 13, out of school for 3 weeks at the end of last year to visit your beautiful country.

Our school system is obviously very different to the US or the UK!

We don't have to ask permission and the schools do not gain or loose "credits" or anything if the kids are away.

It is basically up to the individual parents (within reason) and our trip to America was greeted with enthusiasm and envy by the teachers.

I did check with both the girls teacher's early in the year, at the time we had 2 different time periods to choose from. One included 2 weeks vacation time and the other was Nov with no vacation time. Both said November would be better, even though it meant so much time off school. Our year finishes around Dec. 20, and by the time we went away all the years assessments had been completed. Both teacher's commented on how our kids were only young and that they would learn far more from our trip than if that time was spent at school!

We did take some Math away for the 13y/o, which she is still slowly catching up on! :teacher:

And it WAS an awesome experience!
They/we learnt so much about the differences between our countries and the 13 y/o even got to go to school for a day with some expat friends!
Priceless memories!

Time spent as a family is never a wasted investment! :thumbsup2

Hey, We took our DD on a 3 week trip to Australia so cosmically things evened out! We actually just missed the first week of school the rest was the tail end of summer vacation.

Thats great Judy!

I hope you had a wonderful time.

Where abouts did you go?
(We are in the south of Sydney)

I'll bet you have some fantastisc family memories. :grouphug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter