Do you let your kids miss school?

We spent a week in Sydney ( fabulous city :)) a week in Brisbane (with family) and a week in Port Douglas. It was a great trip, and actually I am ready to go back !I think my niece might be heading for a wedding, so maybe then!

When my son was sick last month for several days (and knowing we were planning a week-long trip to DL!), I asked how many days of school a child could miss in the year and still move up to the next grade. (When I was a kid there was a specific minimum number of days.) The school staff member said they don't do it that way anymore, that it just depends on how well the child is doing in school. Given that DS is doing very well, and is only in kindergarten besides, she said as long as he is reading well, not to worry about it.

As it was, I tried to schedule the trip for winter break in February, the week of parent-teacher conferences (half-days) in March, but neither of those worked out. So DS will spend a week out of school, and we'll make a point to read a lot to him and ask him to read signs and things to us, which he loves to do! I also contacted his teacher already to give him a heads-up, and asked if he had anything he'd like DS to do school-wise on our trip. I haven't heard back yet so I'm guessing he won't worry about that, but still it's important to us that DS know this is a special thing to get out of school for vacation.

When my girls were little (kindergarten-second) it wasn't too big a deal to take them out for a day or two. But now that my oldest is in middle school, her grade would drop one level for each day missed (i.e. A to A- or B+ to B). It's not like when I was growing up. They also won't do a contract (assignments for vacations) if it is less than 4 days. We can't extend our vacation next week because of this problem. I would definitely check with the school to find out their policy.

My kids are young still, 6 & 9, so it isnt a big deal. I would try to not have them miss a whole week, but if for soem reason they had to, I wouldnt be totally against it.

For our upcoming DL trip, I planned most of it for over vacation. However we wanted to stay Sunday so we could go to the Celtics/Lakers game (we saw the Red Sox play the Angels last summer so this worked out perfect). This had us returning on Monday and they would only miss that day of school. But a few weeks ago our flights got cancelled and we had to get new ones, now taking the red eye hom Monday night, therefore the kids will miss Tuesday too. We talked to their teachers at parent/teacher conferences and both were fine with it. They told us to have a great time! :thumbsup2

I wasn't raised this way, my folks never took me out of school for any vacation. I've tried to raise my kids the same, but will have to amend those "rules" just this once.

T-minus ten days our vacation to DL (SoCal Citypass, with Seaworld, etc)!! We had planned to go this past Thanksgiving (which would have required missing only three days of school), but my timeshare folks couldn't find us an exchange, and we ended up reaching the use-it-or-lose-it deadline of the end of February. They found us an exchange finally, so that's when we're going.

The kids will be bringing homework along, and hopefully we can make time to practice some of their gymnastics routines (well, obviously not bar or vault lol; they have a competition upon returning home).

Taking vacation now kinda messes things up for making any sort of plans for Spring Break, but that's ok. I'm sure we can find something to pass the time, like spring cleaning, etc. :)

I don't necessarily like them missing school, but since it's an exception and not the rule, I suppose it's ok.

Judy from Boise said:
We spent a week in Sydney ( fabulous city :)) a week in Brisbane (with family) and a week in Port Douglas. It was a great trip, and actually I am ready to go back !I think my niece might be heading for a wedding, so maybe then!

hi Judy,
I think you definatley saw the very best we have to offer!
I love my hometown of Sydney, but if I had to live anywhere else it would be in Queensland! (For those who don't know Brisbane and Port Douglas are in the state of Queensland).

:love:

My sisters and I are HomeSchooled, and we also have AP's to DL.. we normally take a week off, but my mom makes us do two weeks the week before we leave, Ahhh the glory of Homeschool :) lol

My philosophy on this.

Taking the kids out of school for a week for a family vacation is the parents' choice, not the school systems. If it's longer than a week, then the parents really need to think twice about it. As the bloke from the UK mentioned, an overseas trip could be a valid reason to take them out of school for more than a week.

No fibbing allowed. Besides being wrong and setting a horrible example for the kids, this puts the child in a really bad spot of having to cover up for the parent when they get back to school. Parents are adults, teachers are adults, principals are adults. Act like it, and be honest with all thing concerning education.

Teachers are dedicated pros and I respect that. But respect is a two way street, and they must also respect the values and decisions of the parents.

If teachers don't give the child work to take with them on vacation, or don't allow makeup when they get, or penalize them for either, then go to the principal. If that fails, go to the school board.

I could go on and on discussing the matter of teacher "in-service" days, a concept that didn't exist when I went to school. But i'll just say that I would find it hypocritcal of a teacher to say it's wrong of the parent to take the child out of school for a planned vacation, but it's not wrong for the teacher to keep the kids out of school for planned in-service days.

-Shawn

I have always taken my kids out. My oldest is in 8th grade and she is almost a straight A student. She goes to her mother's in Arizona during the summer so if we want to include her in our family trips it HAS to be during the year.

My younger two are 4 and 6 so school hasn't been an issue till this year. We took my kindergartener out for 2 weeks to go to Disneyworld but she had all her work before hand it was done before we even left. It didn't affect her a bit and she is still doing VERY well.

I think this was the last year though for a 2 week trip during the school year as once stepdaughter starts high school that would be WAY too much.

I have actually tried to keep my kids out the bare minimum but here in our area you HAVE to take them at least 5 days to get it excused with a homework contract.

They get all their work and take it with them.

I tried taking her out for less days but they are unexcused.

I have been to disney many times during high season and it is just NOT worth it to me to spend the extra money (for high season) and then have to put up with crowds, heat and LONG lines.

We usually go in the way off season like sept oct or nov or feb.

So far it hasn't affected my kids and the teachers are cool with it as long as we do the homework contract so it works for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter