Do you have to tell servers in advance if you're on DDP?

kathyg

DIS Veteran
We will probably be doing the DDE along with the DDP. Is it necessary to tell the servers in advance which you will be usingthe plan or paying OOP with the DDE? I just figure it will depend on what we end up ordering how I decide to pay.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

They asked us at the beginning of every meal but we were able to change our minds before the bill came.

I was asked at every TS if we were on the DDP - at the podium and by the waiter. I started volunteering that info before I was asked. I also used the DDE and made sure they knew I was using that too ...

Most meals they asked when I "checked in" for a meal. Some I gave them that information when we sat down. One night I forgot to mention it and I think the waiter was annoyed that she needed to make up a new bill and seperate the drinks(opps). It was a bad spoodles meal anyways....

most waiters are excited that you are on the DDP. It means a big bill...a big bill = big tip!

Most places they asked us. THe servers love the DDP and frequently tell you about any special items that restaurant might offer (like smoothies on the plan at LeCellier). They get a guaranteed 18% tip and most families on the plan order more than people not on the plan.

We were asked when making the ADR, asked when checking in and asked when the server came. In many cases the CM asked to see the card to see what the number of adults vs children were listed on the card. We ate at Coral Reef twice and asked to produce the card both times, along with LeCellier and Kona's too. The most hassle we had anywhere was at Coral Reef. We had only adult credits 2A on our card and had leftover credits so wanted to treat 2 other adults and the server kept telling us we couldn't give our credits away. We used each of our cards and the server charged each card for 2 bills, making it 2 different checks, plus we purchased OOP too and used our DDE card. The server was not happy and told us we were causing him too much work. It spoiled our evening. We had given our adult credits away to other adults in the past while using the DDP and it's never been a problem. Even Mary on mousesavers says that this is acceptable. It wasn't like we had children's credits we were using for adults. And we even paid for the DDP, since it wasn't free.

Even Mary on mousesavers says that this is acceptable.
Disney's never been explicit about that. The brochure is rather vague, and in cases like that it is up to the server (and the server's manager). Sorry you got one that disagreed with yours and Mary's interpretation. Hopefully, next year, Disney will be less vague, though I wouldn't count on it. The down-side of being too vague isn't as bad as the down-side of being too explicit. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter