Do You Find Yourself More Happy or Sad During the Holidays?

Middle of the road really. It is a bit of let down when you grow out of the Santa Claus years, and when your kids grow out of the Santa Claus years. Those years are magical.

Happy! It’s the most wonderful time of the year! Yet I realize some don’t feel that way. But for me Christmas is love! And it has nothing to do with the secular aspects for me .

Everything about winter kicks my butt. I'd have to say more sad regularly, but I do have moments where I'm happy due to the holidays as well.

It was always 100% happy. As I get older and older, there is a wee bit of sadness mixing in, mainly due to those no longer around to join in the celebrations. And by now someone seems to have passed away near just about every holiday, so that link is in the background too. But I guess still overwhelmingly happy.

Usually very happy. But sad when people are less fortunate and poor and not just during the holidays. But each and every single day and year of their lives. For them to try to get back on their feet. I pray they will find a way.

I miss my mom, she really loved Christmas. She still exchanged with her best friend since the 3rd grade. It was so much fun to watch 2 ladies in their 70’s still exchange gifts every year. They had so much fun! They both died the same year and I miss my mom and I miss their friendship.

Generally, I'm a "happy at Christmas" person, and if you randomly asked me how I was feeling at that moment, the chances are good that's still what you'd hear. I even enjoy the "chores" like wrapping gifts and addressing cards.

But for some reason, I'm extra worried about people suffering this year. Our news has been full of fatal car accidents, a firefighter who lost his life in the line of duty, the Sandy Hook anniversary... Tragedy is awful, but tragedy at Christmas is somehow more awful.

Happy....love all the decorations and lights.
Love that my kids and grand kids are close and we can spend the time together.

Stressed. Just stressed. Stressed and tired. By the time we get to actual Christmas, I'll be fine. I'm usually fine starting with candlelight service Christmas Eve and coast through the end of the year.

I'm usually happy, but a bit stressed/anxious at Christmas - just over all the different "to do" & "to buy" lists & different social obligations. And, every year, I always seem to spend more than I had intended.

There's a meme I've seen float around Facebook that fits me perfectly - "It's the Christmas season! It's time for me to change from my regular anxiety to my fancy anxiety!"

But, generally, I love the Christmas season! (I just don't start our Christmas season until the day after Thanksgiving!)

I'm also at the parental stage where, for the most part, Christmas is still magical for our kids, & we still have a family Christmas time. However, the kids are older (our older 2 are 18 & 17), & I'm starting to feel that "these moments are so fleeting & our kids are growing up &, soon, it won't be like this..." kind of bittersweetness.

Also, as our parents get older (& consequently WE get older), there's a bit of nostalgic sadness that comes w/ the holidays.

I went to Hallmark on Wednesday because, every year, I always buy our parents a nice Christmas card in which to put the kids' picture w/ Santa. And, this year, instead of buying a "Mom & Dad" card for DH's parents, I had to just buy a "Mom" card because DH's dad passed away this past April.

I don't think it makes much difference to me in happiness or sadness, but it does add to my stress levels a little.

I am a bit of both with stress added in for fun. I miss people who aren't with us anymore. But then I am happy with the new people who are here now, my 4 grandbabies. It is stressful getting ready for Christmas with the kiddies but is is fun.

both but each more intensified

Yes, this is exactly me. I have Depression and an anxiety disorder, both are ratcheted way up by the Holidays. I like Christmas, but sometimes I feel like it's all going on around me and I'm not a real participant.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter