Do our American friends strive to visit the UK?

I do not have a great desire to go to the UK. I know it's lovely, but it's not on my to-do list. I have a few UK friends and I email them often. You have to love the power of email to keep people close w/o having to "go the distance."

Also, with the GBP being much higher than the $$$, it behoves us to travel there.

Mexico here I come!

I was waiting to respond and let Steve know how beautiful the mountains are here in upstate New York. BUT this I HAD to respond to.. NO MORE RAIN PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We live in the western Catskill Mountains and this past june got clobbered by rain and had 6 feet of rushing water, :furious: destroyed our town. Red Cross and Fema were here for awhile, so for this country gal it is RAIN RAIN GO AWAY>>> DON"T COME BACK ANOTHER DAY!

Seriously Steve, the mountains are gorgeous. If you are ever around in October feel free to PM me and I can show you colors you have never seen! :love:

6mouskateers said:
Hey Steve, please send us some your rain! We are something like 16-20 inches below normal. My lawn is sad...

Anyhow, YES! We (well DH) were there for the BEER! Now I am not much of a beer drinker, although I do appreciate and enjoy a good one now and then.
DH on the other hand does love beer. He is also a bit picky --nothing wrong with that. He (and his cohorts) call Coors "Rocky Montain pi$$ water." Snubs Bud unless of course there is nothing else to drink and he doesn't want to be impolite.

I have a feeling he used a trick coin in our UK vs Germany coin toss because he may have a hankering for German beer this time...

I also think he wants some German food...

Hi again everyone, the weekend is upon us again.

Its difficult to list places that you need to see here, for me anyway, because we take 'whats on our doorstep' so much for granted. I think London is ok, but not awe inspiring. But I guess there are some of you that arnt too besotted with NY, but to me it looks stunning.

Strattford Upon Avon, York, the minster is amazing, goes back before you lot were even found lol. Chedder Gorge, The industrial past of the Black Country (where we live, in the centre of the UK). Some of the traditional sea side resorts are nice to see, down on the south coast Eastbourne and Brighton.

To be honest a few of you have mentioned Blackpool. I would not want this to be your overiding memory of England, sadly it is now just a place that hen and stag nights take place and there is always a lot of trouble. My wife went up there last year for a couple of days and said that is is really turning into a bit of a dump. Shame because it was a real traditional English seaside place. So if you do go to Blackpool, go with an open mind.

The yorkshire moors, lots of old pubs, castles and ruins to see. We are quite well blessed with Castles, wArwick, being pretty close to us and a stunning place. They have armour and stuff there that goes back 800+ years, amazing.

Hoping you are all ok. and yes, bloody raining again!

Steve

HI THERE STEVE We live in Ontario and many of my friends lived in UK. I can't wait to visit your beautiful country. DH and I are just waiting a few years till DD's are a little older for the sightseeing that is involved. I'm a history buff and we have some newer history here it's not the same as seeing where all my relatives came from in the 1700's. Thank you for the description of the many places to visit.

Hi there,

We have never travelled to Canada, but my parents have been 4 times I think and say it is one of the most wonerful places they have been to, and they have been to a few. In fact I have a friend in Toronto right now.

Our plan is, Disney july 07, I really fancy Mexico 08, the pacific side, NOT Cancun. And then in 2009 we are going to fly to somewhere on the Eastern side of Canada, get a big 4 wheel drive beast of a car, and spend 3 or 4 weeks driving across. Mom and Dad went on the 3 day railway journey, which covered Calgary? and Jasper? (is that correct) and said it was incredible. They have video footage of Bears! Jesus! how cool is that seeing a real bear, there was a Park Ranger ? parked up on the side of the road and they pulled over to say hi and have a few photos taken and he had spotted some cubs quite near the road. He sadi this was unusual and was just hanging back (see how I dropped into my Americanism then) to see if they were ok, and just then, Mom raised her head. Without going into too much detail, my Dad said it was a big bear, and for a split second, certain muscles began to relax a little too much!!!!!!

Cheers

Steve

yankeepenny said:
Hello Stevechase!
My goal is to visit your country for a two week visit sometime-
since my mother's parents are both from England, and it has always interested me. maybe when DH retires in a couple of years. Right now the drawback is the plane ride anywhere-
Cornwall is on the list as well as London.
I am bad about riding 3 hours even, hate those seats!
:surfweb:

If Steve wants to join you on your Cornish leg of the trip give me a shout :thumbsup2

Also to add, the Cornish do the best drink - SCRUMPY!!!

Hi Carol, I do like a decent cider, but even for a die hard booze hound like me, some of the scrumpy is too much to handle. We bought some a few years back and it was dry beyond belief. It found its way to the back of the garage where it stayed for about 4 years. Stumbling across it, whislt tiding the garage, i took it in the house and sneeked a sip! Jesus, nearly killed me, however, I poured it away and it bought the sink up a treat!!! ha ha ha.

Be warned, you will end up with a big red nose if you drink too much cider!

Steve :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

No Steve, no red nose here, I don't touch the stuff (any more! lol) but I swear you can strip paint with it. And it would certainly make you talk like Jethro, in fact I'm sure it was at his pub I last had it. He's got a place about 3 miles from me.

DH and I love to visit the UK. We've gone on vacation there multiple times. Mostly we stay around London, because with my job, I normally travel to London a few times a year. So on the work trips, DH comes along and we try to stay a few extra days at least. We also gone on longer trips on our own, including to see the British Open (golf). One trip to the British Open was at St. Andrews, so we also toured a bit of Scotland (we loved Edinburgh).

So yes, we love to travel to the UK, and try to get there at least once a year. To be honest though, the annual WDW trip is a higher priority than the UK. (And the current exchange rate has made the UK a much more expensive trip than WDW for us).

I am dying to go to the UK! Actually, all of Europe. Hopefully someday I'll have the money to visit. :cloud9:

Being Biased Scotland is absolutely stunning. When I lived in NY I couldn't wait to see the Scottish scenery again. I missed it so much. A lot of the US is flat and boring to look at. I hated the 7 hour drive from one part of NY to the other.

I don't do London. Both times I have come home from London I have brought a certain little person to join our family 9 months later. But Cumbria in the North of England is lovely and the Welsh Valleys are a must see.

Love Louise xx

a similar thing happened to us. A romantic weekend down in the smoke in Feb 03, Dec 03 along comes Josh.

mmmmmmmm!!!! odd!

No more London I told the good lady wife!

Steve

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
We visited London in October this last year. Thankfully no babies on the way! I already HAVE 3.... :rolleyes: We stayed out in one of your villages by Gatwick also, and I have to say I think I would like to see more of your countryside next time, but would also like to go back to London. We will probably wait until our kids are a little older. We dragged 3 kids under 10 years all over Europe last year with the promise that they would get to go to Disneyland Paris at the end! ;)

And price? Don't even go there. :lmao: My husband says we could have bought something important, like a car or a Harley! :rotfl2:

And no we aren't rich and hopefully not snobby either. Just need to see the world before we get too old! :blush:

We hope to go to the UK someday. My husband's cousin is associate dean at Oxford University, and she has been trying to get us over for a visit for years. We have been waiting for DD4 to get a little older to go, also money issues. We want to tour castles and maybe get to Scotland and Ireland too. My DH and I are both architectural history buffs, so we would probably want to concentrate on castles and other historical buildings.

I LOVE the UK! I'm 1/4 English and 1/4 Scottish...I've only been to England once in my life - back in 1988 - but it felt like home to me. I have a Union Jack on my desk at work - and a Union Jack magnet and an "I Love London" magnet. I keep threatening that if I ever manage to get to London again soon, I may not come back!

Hi there, a common misunderstanding, the Union Flag is its proper name. It should only be called a Union Jack when flown from a ship.

And being even more ENGLISH, The St George Cross is the real English flag, the scots will have a moan, but theats what they like to do anyway. lol

all together now "Land of hope and Glory, Mother of the free........"

Steve

You bet we do! I love being in the U.S. but I have always dreamed of going to Europe. It's really wonderful being able to go to Disneyworld and all of the U.S. parks but we don't have the history that Europe has and I'm a history nut! We don't live anywhere near Disneyworld so we pay big bucks to be able to go...I think about using that money to go to europe all the time! I would have to cut my embilical cord to Disneyland though and I don't think I could do it for long so I would just have to visit europe instead of moving there perminantly. Yo Ho Yo Ho A Pirates life for me! pirate:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter