Do I need a folding cane?

I've used both a folding cane and a standard cane at WDW and both times in conjunction with an ECV. The first time, I had an folding cane and rented a ECV via WDW. The baskets on those are widely-spaced wire baskets. I would fold up the can and put it in the basket. Then when I tried to grab the folding cane, it had bounced mostly through the basket. Also, sometimes I had problems getting the pieces of the cane pulled apart to fold it up. Other times, it made it's way to the bootm of the basket under various bags, etc. So it became a bit of a hassle.

The next time, I rented an ECV from off-property and got a cane holder accessory. The basket on it was a plastic one that was enclosed, so a fold-up cane could have been stored in there. However, that trip I was using a regular cane. The only nuisance was that it would bang against the sides of the cane holder as I went along. I solved that problem by finding a rubber band and wrapping it around the cane where it was hitting the side of the holder. I did find that using the regular cane to be a bit easier.

This past trip, I once again rented an ECV off-property (different company) and used a regular cane. However, this time my cane had a custom-made Mickey Mouse themed cane wrap from Etsy. No need for the rubber band.

Personally, I found it easier to use an ECV that had a cane holder with my regular cane. It was much easier to grab the cane and go each time, as well as easy to put it in its holder than mess with a fold-up cane. When it came to rides, I would just put the cane next to me or between my knees (depending on the ride vehicle. On the few rides that required me to give it to a cast member, it was always at the unloading area. Sometimes the CM remembered me and had it ready, but most of the time it was leaning against the wall and I just needed to ask them for it. I use my cane primarily to assist in getting out of some ride vehicles.

Hope this helps! Feel free to ask any questions.

OMG What store did you get the cane wrap? What great advice! Thank you :cheer2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter