Do Guides have email?

Luv2trav

DIS Veteran
DVC Silver
I have a few questions but I do not want to call. I would rather have them answered by email so I can reference them with my husband. I was sent a package from a guide but all it lists is her phone number.

No to mention I have 2 children who seems to go crazy when I am on important phone calls and I cannot give my full attention.

You can email your guide, but they should always be responding via telephone. I think DVC discourages their sale force from putting anything in an email.

My guide uses email and I appreciate that he does.

I've told my guide that I prefer communicating via email. He responded by saying that was ok with him, but he needed me to know that he only checks his email at the beginning and end of his work days, and not when he's out of the office (for example, on vacation)--he does check voice mail more frequently, and when he's out, though. So, I don't expect replies til the end of the day as I know he doesn't check his email during his work day. And if I don't hear back the next day, I know he's out of the office. THen I call if it's something I need quickly, or just wait to hear from him if it's not time sensitive.

Just the other day I told him I want to add on some BCV points, and asked him to put me on the BCV waiting list, and gave him my credit card number (he needed that to process it)...all thru email and all went smoothly. He did pull up his email for the 3-4 back-and-forth emails this request required--took about an hour in total...he's really very accommodating. I like our guide a whole lot--if you're looking for a guide and want to know more about mine, feel free to PM me...

So yes, guides can use email, altho it may be that they wait for their clients to tell them that's their preferred method of communication.

While some do it, it is my understanding that the guides are not supposed to respond by e-mail. Any that do are putting themselves at risk for the employment to.

Well, certainly the very last thing in the world I'd want to do is get my guide in trouble...so if in fact his responsiveness to me (the customer!) is putting his employment at risk, I'll stop emailing him...

And at the risk of cutting off my nose to spite my face, I'm inclined to think I'll probably stop adding on, too. I find I'm even thinking about getting out of DVC.

I find it annoying in the extreme that DVC would not allow the guides to accommodate a customer's express preference for email communication.

Perhaps there's an explanation which would dissipate my annoyance? But altho I understand the need to be careful about what you put in writing, I'd say a guide shouldn't say on the phone what he/she couldn't put in an email, either! Either the guide is giving accurate information or he/she isn't. Whether that information is transmitted via phone or email shouldn't matter.

But rules are rules. If DVC has a rule against email, I'll comply with it. But it's strike two against DVC. (Strike one is changing the rules in the middle of the contract. Eliminating the smoking option for people who smoke also struck me as completely unfair to those folks. Fortunately for me it's a non-issue, but for someone who cares it is strike one against DVC. It's just not fair to change the rules after they've already collected someone's money. I don't have a problem with the rule, mind you--just with the abrupt and in your face and "who cares about you" attitude behind the new rule.)

Kind of sad...I've only owned DVC for a bit more than a year. I've been very happy with my guide's service. But to find out that his accommodation of my very clear request that we communicate via email may be putting his job at risk troubles me a whole lot. I'm going to have to think through carefully whether the benefits of DVC outweigh this fairly awful situation.

Well, certainly the very last thing in the world I'd want to do is get my guide in trouble...so if in fact his responsiveness to me (the customer!) is putting his employment at risk, I'll stop emailing him...
If your guide is e-mailing you, they are likely e-mailing others as well. Therefore it is the guide a putting themselves at any risk and not you. I think the thing to do is not to really advertise it.

I always email my guide and he always emails me back

If your guide is e-mailing you, they are likely e-mailing others as well. Therefore it is the guide a putting themselves at any risk and not you. I think the thing to do is not to really advertise it.

Dean is correct. It is my understnding that tt has to do with real estate licensing, interstate commerce, and the inability to confirm where the email is going. For example, if you open the email in a state in which DVC is not licensed, that guide has just contacted you as a real estate professional and is in violation of the law and Disney policy.

Thanks, Doctor P, for the explanation--it does eliminate my annoyance (and also my guilt, as my email has, to date, always been between my state and my guide and DVC is licensed in my state)...I shall be very careful, however, not to use email on DVC business if I'm not at home (or in my home state)...

Remember too, that most common name.at.disney.com format address are not for public use, they are for the ease of Disney internal communications...a company the size of Disney is not going to have to look through a phone book to find that John Doe's email at DDE management is some made up username, like "ddeluver#1.at.disney.com" rather than john.doe.at.Disney.com

Public email addresses are specific to the use of the address, like DVCguestsatisfation.at.Disney.com (or whatever)

......(snip).....Just the other day I told him I want to add on some BCV points, and asked him to put me on the BCV waiting list, and gave him my credit card number (he needed that to process it)...all thru email and all went smoothly. ...
Email is not secure - I would never send anyone my credit card info via email and hope that you meant you gave your guide the cc number & expiration date info over the phone. (If not, please reconsider doing that in the future).

I hate to see people put themselves at risk in this way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter