DL dining review!...A few pics added P.2

AspiringCindy

<font color=FF66FF>Craved Spam.....the unidentifie
We just returned from a 5 night stay at GC! Here is our cast:
DH, Myself, DD(13), DD(12), DD(5)

Goofy's Kitchen(Dinner):
I enjoyed this restaurant! The selection and atmosphere is a lot like that of Chef Mickey's(WDW). The worms and Dirt were especially a hit with the kids. There was a vast selection of items to choose from including a child level buffet with kid-friendly choices. I thought the character interaction was good as well. The characters were Goofy, Pluto, Chip & Dale, Pinnochio & the Fairy Godmother.
Rating: A-

River Belle Terrace(breakfast):
Everyone had the Mickey Pancakes and I ordered The fruit Platter which was humongus!! The check was approximately $45. The food was good and the service was speedy.
Rating: B

Blue Bayou(lunch):
We had a late lunch at Blue Bayou. Our ressie was for 2:30, and we showed up at 2:20. I inquired about a waterside table, and was told it would be 45 Minutes. So, we took the next available seating instead. We were seated in 5 minutes fairly close to the water anyway! :thumbsup2 I ordered the Beef Short Ribs which were absolutely delicious! DH ordered the Jambalaya, DD ordered the Prime Rib, Younger DDs ordered the kids Spagetti & Nuggets! Check was $91. None of us could fit dessert!! I Loved the theming!!
Rating: A+

Fantasmic Balcony Dessert:
This was a splurge for us...since we have never been to DL or Cali for that matter. The selections were Cream puffs, Coconut macaroons dipped in chocolate, cheese cake, chocolate cake, zeppolis, cheese, crackers, fruit kabobs, tarts and a large beverage selection!
Rating: A

White Water Snacks(breakfast 2 times):
Kids all ordered the french toast which was very good. Dh ordered the egg sandwich, I ordered the cinnamon bun both times :blush: We all had drinks. This was definitely a quick way to get breakfast...an a decent breakfast at that! Cost was about $35.
Rating: B-

Cocina Cucamonga Mexican Grill(Lunch): We ordered Tacos and Burritos which were pretty tasty...especially when you wash it down with some Karl Strauss Beer! :teeth:

Ariel's Grotto(Dinner):
I thought the character interaction was a bit rushed, but that didn't bother DD(5). She was in her glory!! The characters were Ariel, Belle, Jasmin, Aurora and Mulan! This was Mulan's 1st showing!...and she was absolutely breathtaking!! Didn't care for the food selection, but had the Fish and Chips, DH had the Cobb Salad with Shrimp, DD had the chicken Pot Pie, and other 2 DDs had the Mac and Cheese. All 3 Girls ordered the sundaes, I had Apple crisp with Vanilla ice cream and DH had the Peach Cobbler.
Rating: B

La Brea Bakery(breakfast):
Grabbed food to go...bagels, cookies, muffins, Coffee, Juice
cost was approximately $30. Coffee was extremely HOT!!!

Club Buzz(Lunch):
DH and I ordered the Turkey Sandwiches, DD(12) ordered Roastbeef, DDs(13 & 5) had the PB&J lunch box. All the sandwiches were surprisingly good!
Cost was $45...service was SLOW!
Rating: B+

ESPN Zone(dinner):
Typical chain restaurant food!! Chicken wings, Chicken avocado wrap, kids spagetti & Pizza with drinks and 3 beers...No not 1 for DD!
Check was $71 :confused3
Rating: C+

Naples (Dinner):
We ordered a large pizza and Pasta Bolognese. The pizza looked and tasted weird, but the Pasta Bolognese(SP?) was to die for! We were all fighting over it!
Rating: B+

WE also ate at USH...but nothing to write about!

Great reviews. Looks like Blue Bayou is as popular as ever, :cheer2: ... even with the higher priced menu. Glad you enjoyed Goofy's as well. We didn't care for Naples much either, although it is fairly popular in DTD. Thanks for sharing, I love food reviews! :love:

We loved the River Belle Terrace at breakfast. The fruit plate was enough for 3 of us to share!! It was one of the best values we found on property.

How fun, sounds like you made your rounds!

I have a question, though. Is Whitewater Snacks a sit down place or just counter service? It sounds a little nicer than I expected. But, $35 only feeds so many at DL ;)

maberlyne said:
How fun, sounds like you made your rounds!

I have a question, though. Is Whitewater Snacks a sit down place or just counter service? It sounds a little nicer than I expected. But, $35 only feeds so many at DL ;)

It is like a cafeteria style place. You grab what you want and order any grilled food at the register. Then, you sit and wait for a server to bring your grilled food! It's Okay!...relatively cheap compared to alot of other places!

Cindy: Thanks for the great dining review! This is always my favorite part of any trip report. Sounds like you had a great time. Can you tell us a little more about your stay at GCH? How and where was your room? Did you have a standard, or theme view, concierge service, etc.?
Good to know we're not the only people that thought the Naples pizza tasted a little odd. I think it's the sauce.

Does anyone know if there is a Rainforest Cafe at DL?

Dis Ohana said:
Cindy: Thanks for the great dining review! This is always my favorite part of any trip report. Sounds like you had a great time. Can you tell us a little more about your stay at GCH? How and where was your room? Did you have a standard, or theme view, concierge service, etc.?
Good to know we're not the only people that thought the Naples pizza tasted a little odd. I think it's the sauce.

We had a standard view room...with a request for 2 Qs & a daybed. We did get our request met and received a room on concierge floor(6th) facing DLH. I would have liked to face CA, but we were sooo close to the elevators! I thought the hotel was VERY nice, but found myself compaing it to WL(WDW) constantly! I thought the layout was a bit odd! The pool area was really fun, staff was great and DD(5) used Pinnochio's Club 1 night! The CMs were GREAT there! It's unbelievable how close GC is to everything!! Too bad WDW doesn't have that set up!

Thanks so much for the A1 dining review, I will be there in December so this was very imfomative to me. I am getting a theme park view for a room did you think that would be worth it? I am going to be like you comparing it to WL, I am a big DW fan so this is an all new experience for me. :sunny: :thumbsup2

GailT said:
Thanks so much for the A1 dining review, I will be there in December so this was very imfomative to me. I am getting a theme park view for a room did you think that would be worth it? I am going to be like you comparing it to WL, I am a big DW fan so this is an all new experience for me. :sunny: :thumbsup2

The theme park room views are incredible!...I got a glimpse of the views from an outdoor patio on the 5th floor! I think WL is nicer, but nothing beats GCs proximity to everything!! Also, I have to say that I LOVED DL...and CA. I read alot of reviews of WDW vets knocking DL and comparing DL & MK! DON'T compare them...they are equally as great! In many instances, DL IS BETTER!

Thanks for the excellent review. I would rate ESPN zone higher though and BB lower, it seemed like when we were there last August, nothing went right..but we are trying it again in 10 days.

Jack pirate:

Great review!

We have eaten at ESPN Zone. We probably will not ever eat there again. It was OK - not worth what we paid though. It was about $70 for the two of us. I drank water and DH had two beers. We had some wings, and each had an entree. The food was just OK - nothing to write home about. We ate at Ralph Brennenn's for about the same price and it was 10 times better!

mikayla73 said:
Great review!

We have eaten at ESPN Zone. We probably will not ever eat there again. It was OK - not worth what we paid though. It was about $70 for the two of us. I drank water and DH had two beers. We had some wings, and each had an entree. The food was just OK - nothing to write home about. We ate at Ralph Brennenn's for about the same price and it was 10 times better!
WOW it was $74.00 for 6 of us. I find nothing at the parks to write home about.(Except Napa Rose and Granville's) It was good, hot and the service was expectional. I also like Ralph Brennan's, but the service was slow. Napa Rose I find is one of the better places to eat in SoCal. Granville's I had a excellent steak. Both are a little to formal for me.

Jack pirate:

Thank you so much for the review. Do you think the Princess Dinenr was worth the $$$. We did it at WDW and the food was horrible but the girls loved seeing the princesses.

Do you think the Princess Dinenr was worth the $$$. We did it at WDW and the food was horrible but the girls loved seeing the princesses

When we were at DLR last February, DD went to the Princess Lunch with my wife and my mom. The food, was less than steller, actually, it was less than decent (according to DW and Mom). Still, DD was very thrilled to meet all the Princesses.

At the same time, Dad, myself, and DS were at Goofy's Kitchen. The food there was very good. Standard buffet fare, but still done very well.

I agree...Goofy's Kitchen is much better than Ariel's Grotto! I didn't care very much for the selections at Ariel's. I wouldn't go there again!!

DSC01305.jpg

Disneyland_070.jpg

Photos of GC pools from common patio (5th Fl)

DSC01283.jpg

DSC01282.jpg

DSC01281.jpg

Photos from our standard room balcony (6th Fl)

Disneyland_039.jpg

Mulan and DD at Ariel's Grotto

Disneyland_038.jpg

DSC01207.jpg

DDs with Goofy at Goofy's Kitchen

DSC01308.jpg

GC lobby

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter