DL and DCA in a single day

artesian

DIS Veteran
This will be my fams first ever trip to DL and DCA. Unfortunately we only have a single day but want to come up with a touring plan to maximize the rides we either don't have in FL or are different. Correct me if I'm wrong but staying at the DVC hotel will get me early access. I also plan on using G+ (reluctantly) but no ILL. Going to the Sat after labor day for the context.

In bold I feel I have to do anything else is optional. My plan was to rope drop DCA and try to finish it out by after lunch and then head to DL

DCA rides

Golden Zephyr
Sky School
GoTG
Incredicoaster

Pal around
Radiator springs
Soarin
TSM

DL rides

BTM
Buzz
Haunted Mansion
Indiana Jones

ITSM
Matterhorn
Mr Toads
Pirates
Space Mountain

Am I being realistic to think I can cover just the highlighted in a day? Or do I need to cut this back? Have gone full commando on any park in many moons but looking forward to this. Hoping to get some advice and thoughts around my plan.

That's a lot of attractions to get done in one day. I'd suggest you hit the bolded items first and then move on to the rest. Start with whichever park opens earliest. For example, if DCA opens first, hit the three bolded attractions and then go over to DL Once you've hit all the bolded DL attractions, you can then try the lesser ones there and head back to DCA for the rest there.

It will take you only a couple of minutes to switch parks, Probably less time than it would take to get from some spots to another within the same park.

This will be my fams first ever trip to DL and DCA. Unfortunately we only have a single day but want to come up with a touring plan to maximize the rides we either don't have in FL or are different. Correct me if I'm wrong but staying at the DVC hotel will get me early access. I also plan on using G+ (reluctantly) but no ILL. Going to the Sat after labor day for the context.

In bold I feel I have to do anything else is optional. My plan was to rope drop DCA and try to finish it out by after lunch and then head to DL

DCA rides

Golden Zephyr
Sky School
GoTG
Incredicoaster

Pal around
Radiator springs
Soarin
TSM

DL rides

BTM
Buzz
Haunted Mansion
Indiana Jones

ITSM
Matterhorn
Mr Toads
Pirates
Space Mountain

Am I being realistic to think I can cover just the highlighted in a day? Or do I need to cut this back? Have gone full commando on any park in many moons but looking forward to this. Hoping to get some advice and thoughts around my plan.
If you buy Genie+, I think you can. If you don't want to buy a ILL for Radiator Springs (the line can be VERY long), do the single rider line, it moves fast. I went in October, one of the busiest months, and waited in the single rider line for less than 15 minutes. Have a great trip!

i would not try to ride the cycle loading rides that you don’t have bolded (pal around, zephyr). They can, depending on a lot of factors, take forever. Especially the Ferris wheel, whose wait time can in my experience be off by a factor of 4.

You should be able to manage the rest with Genie+ if you rope drop and stay late. Id suggest buying a Touring Plans sub for $18 and plug all of these things into their make-your-own-touring plan tool to optimize the order.

You can do it if your priority is going on the rides and not taking in the park(s).

Start with rope drop in DLR. You should be able to do Buzz, Toads, Matterhorn and Space Mountain pretty quickly. You can take the train from Tomorrowland to New Orleans Square and hit Haunted Mansion, Indy, Pirates, Thunder Mtn. Walking may be faster than the train but, walking will take you through Main Street, past the castle, Partners Statue and other things that might slow you down. You'll be skipping most of Fantasyland, ToonTown and Star Wars.

For DCA, check times and if Pixar Pier seems quiet, head there first. Note that it on the opposite side of the park from the entrance. Once again, you will be passing all of the places where you may want to stop and look around or take a picture. Plan on single rider for Radiator Springs. That will save you a ton of time. Incredicoaster also has a single rider option. Toy Story Mania and Goofy's Sky School always seem to have long, slow lines. Avoid Guardians before or after Hyperion show times.

Last edited:
I think you can get all these in one day for sure. I'm not sure about starting in DCA. @DLRExpert may be able to help with an order. If you don;t mind single rider lines, they work VERY well on Space and RSR and will help you avoid rope dropping RSR if you didn't want to go that route.

Agree with everyone that says you can do it in a day. Also would start at Disneyland and head to Space first. You'll need Genie+. I usually grab return for Indiana Jones first. His tomorrow land and then make your way to Adventure/Frontierland. Grab return times for Matterhorn and maybe HM. After you see that you can get all of that done start grabbing return times for DCA in the afternoon. Don't worry if they are later than you'd like. You will need to keep checking the app to try to get an earlier return. Sometimes I'll get a 4:40 Guardians, then find a 3:15 and eventually a 1:45. Good luck and have fun!

I'd start at Disneyland, you can literally walk on the dark rides, Matterhorn and Space before 9 AM. Things will be easy to get on until 10 AM, and unless your not getting Genie Plus then GOTG is always 20+ mins even if you rope drop it.

Since you have early access, 100% got to Disneyland. DCA doesn't opens Racers until 8 AM and always has a huge line when it opens best bet is single rider or a LL.

Last edited:
I'd rope drop Disneyland and buy Genie+ for sure. You'll be able to get in at 7:30 since you're staying on property, which will give you a good head start. I'd take a look at the map and decide your order of rides that way so you aren't zig zagging across the park multiple times. Also, leave room for flexibility since rides might be down, or have lines you don't want to wait in. And, of course, it's easy to get sidetracked with so many awesome things to do at Disneyland. :) Have fun!

DCA rides

Golden Zephyr
Sky School
GoTG
Incredicoaster

Pal around
Radiator springs
Soarin
TSM

DL rides

BTM
Buzz
Haunted Mansion
Indiana Jones

ITSM
Matterhorn
Mr Toads
Pirates
Space Mountain

So this sounds like you are staying at a DVC, will be using Genie+LL not buying into any of the ILL, and starting at DCA.

I would recommend going to the Early Entry. It should be starting at 730am.
You should arrive at the Main Entrance to DCA by 710am. They should be letting you into the park around 725am.
As soon as you enter the park grab a LL for Toy Story Midway Mania. You won't be using it, but trying to fish for the MEP, IF you can get an MEP from TSMM or Web Slingers, you are set with LL that you can use at anytime for the rest of the day with the MEP + LL bug (do some research to find out about this).
TSMM is down quite a bit at park opening and Web Slingers is down quite a bit throughout the day.

Now you will need to choose your EE attraction. This should be either Guardians or Web Slingers (choose Guardians if you think you may want to ride more than once).
The goal needs to be done with Guardians or Web Slingers and in line for Radiator Springs Racers by 750am.

So it should your day should look like this...
650am: Arrive at the security entrance
710am: Arrive at the park entrance
730am-750am: Choose between Guardians or Web Slingers
Note As soon as you enter the park book LL for TSMM to FISH for MEP
750am: Get in line for Racers
8am-830am: Ride Racers and Mater's Junkyard Jamboree (you can experience Luigi's Rollicking Roadsters but in my opinion Maters is the better ride). Head to Pixar Pier
830am-920am: Ride TSMM, then Incredicoaster, the Pixar Pal Around.
First LL you actually book/use should be for Guardians or Web Slingers.
920am-10am: Ride Goofy Sky School, Jumping Jellyfish, Zephyr.
10am-11am: Use that first LL (Guardians or WS), Book 2nd LL (could be for Web Slingers if you choose to ride Guardians twice or Monsters Inc).
11am-1pm: Book LL, for remaining attractions Grizzly River Run and Soarin. Fit in Mermaid (does not offer LL) if you are waiting to use a LL.
So the order of DCA LL bookings should be...
TSMM (for the FISH MEP only)
Guardians
Web Slingers
Monsters Inc
Soarin
Grizzly River
You also have LL remaining for TSMM, Incredicoaster, Goofy, if you want to ride later in the day

After DCA you may want to just take a break back at the hotel. Then come back for DL around 4pm-5pm. It should take you 6-7 hours to complete main attractions at DL.
You can stack DL LLs during that time.
So the order of DL LL bookings should be...
Indiana Jones Adventure
Space Mountain
Matterhorn
Haunted Mansion Holiday (if open)
Big Thunder Mountain
Millennium Falcon Smugglers Run
All other LLs are pretty easy to get.

Pirates and Toad can easily be done with a wait 20 minutes or less throughout the day.
I also recommend Alice in Wonderland, Pinocchio, Snow White, and Finding Nemo Submarines for the DL first timers.
Runaway Railway if you are fans of the WDW version. The queue is much better and the waits usually hover around a quick 30 minutes or less throughout the day.

There are a couple ways to go about this, no right/wrong but it depends on your priorities within priorities. Pluto’s advice on not zig zagging is smart especially with one day. Dlexpert outlined a good DCA start and I would read up on G+ and modifying. Modifying will make this more doable. THe MEP is an advanced technique that I am not sure I would recommend for a one day visit, but knowing what to do if you get a MEP would be helpful (ie it expedites any LL you have for a ride in the same tier.) With one day though, I would focus on your top 3-4 rides as your G+ priorities, and fill in as needed.

Based on your desired rides in DCA, I would save those for the evening as IMO they are so much better at night, and plan to book LL for them. I also prefer Haunted Mansion Holiday in the evening, so depending on how important this is and what evening entertainment (if any) that could impact things.

For a DL start, once you enter book your LL for Indiana and depending on your return time either head left (if a close return time) and do standby Pirates, followed by Indiana or Big Thunder (don’t skip this one, its better than WDW) or (if a later return time for Indy) head to Fantasyland and do Toads, Matterhorn and Space Mountain standby (note: both these rides have a single rider line, so if you are ok riding separately it can be a good choice.) Then head to Adventureland for Indy, Pirates, BTM, etc. Personally I do not see the appeal of Buzz at all, so unless this is a family fave I would skip it (same for Toy Story, its the same as WDW.)

After you redeem your Indiana LL or once your 2 hrs have elapsed I would either book one of your Dland priorities you have not accomplished (Space, Matterhorn, Thunder) or if you’ve done them standby or single rider, book your evening rides at DCA: Guardians, then Incredicoaster. Don’t fret about return times as you can easily modify them later. If you are waiting 2 hrs between all of these bookings you theoretically would have 3-4 of your top priorities as LL by 2:00. Then book Haunted Mansion Holiday, which will be a late evening return at this stage which is fine cause it is infinitely better at night.

RSR is honestly only doable with a short wait if you Single Rider or pay for the $LL. As time is important I would try and budget for this one as even the Single Rider line can get long mid day. YMMV.

Hope this helps. Again there is no right or wrong way, but focusing on the unique things to DLand and filling in as time permits is a good strategy.

You should be able to manage the rest with Genie+ if you rope drop and stay late. Id suggest buying a Touring Plans sub for $18 and plug all of these things into their make-your-own-touring plan tool to optimize the order.
The general consensus on this board is Touring Plans is not helpful at Dland. Ride closures are the biggest anomaly in ride times, and are unpredictable at best. I would save that $18 and use it toward a $LL for Racers.

The general consensus on this board is Touring Plans is not helpful at Dland. Ride closures are the biggest anomaly in ride times, and are unpredictable at best. I would save that $18 and use it toward a $LL for Racers.
I know but I have used TP there and disagree with the consensus. I think it can be very helpful in establishing a baseline plan and an expectation of achievability, even if it has serious shortcomings you have to work around.

You have already gotten tons of great advice, but I have a few comments to add.

Your goals are achievable but they will take diligence with the phone app and a good dose of luck.

Your biggest problems are likely to be Guardians of the Galaxy, Indiana Jones, and Haunted Mansion. None of these offer single rider. All will be enormously popular and Genie+ times will move out very quickly for them.

Guardians of the Galaxy will most likely be switching to the Halloween version after dark which means you are drawing from a smaller pool of Genie+ slots if you want the original during the day and an even smaller pool if you want the holiday version in the evening. And, yes, you can obtain a Genie+ pass for both versions on the same day. Add to that, Guardians definitely has some reliability issues, and you could find your wait even with Genie+ is much longer than you anticipate. When we were there at the end of June, the ride was never running at greater than 2/3 capacity and on some days only 1/3. We've been there plenty of times when the ride has been up and working at full capacity, but we have also experienced prolonged lesser capacity on multiple past trips. So hopefully everything is working smoothly the day you go. But in any case, I feel that's one you need to watch closely in the app because the Genie+ times will move out more quickly than you expect.

Speaking of unreliability, there's Indy. Anyway, that one breaks down frequently and Genie+ passes disappear quickly, and people love that ride (rightly so :-)) so again I feel some luck comes into play with getting to ride Indy without it eating too much into your day or pushing your next Genie+ selection out too far too quickly. It's another of those rides I feel the earlier you cross it off your list, the better.

Haunted Mansion is crazy popular in September-early January because it is the Nightmare Before Christmas version. With Genie+ in play, seeing 60 minute standby lines for Haunted Mansion will be common. It's one I would definitely want to use a Genie+ selection for.

Personally I would skip Buzz and Toy Story with the states those rides are in. You are not getting the greatest play experience with either of those right now. Toy Story is getting a one month refurb before you arrive, so maybe it will be fixed up a bit. I'm sure someone on these boards will update us. I would absolutely add the Webslingers ride to your list though.

If you are finding your goals hard to achieve, then you may need to be flexible about how important it is to ride the ride at all versus ride the ride all together. In DCA Incredicoaster, Soarin', Goofy's Sky School, and Racers all have single rider. You almost have to ride Racers single rider if you want less than a 70-90 minute wait and aren't going to ride it first thing or during early entry if it's available. Matterhorn and Space Mountain in Disneyland also have single rider.

Speaking of unreliability, there's Indy. Anyway, that one breaks down frequently and Genie+ passes disappear quickly, and people love that ride (rightly so :-)) so again I feel some luck comes into play with getting to ride Indy without it eating too much into your day or pushing your next Genie+ selection out too far too quickly. It's another of those rides I feel the earlier you cross it off your list, the better.
Exactly - this is one reason why I suggested making Indy their first G+ selection - best case scenario you get a quick return time and can knock it off the list without worry of it going down. Worst case it goes down during your return and you get a MEP that basically expedites the entire rest of your LL’s until you redeem it at Indy. Win-Win unless you never go back and redeem it at Indy while it’s running. ;)

In this situation I would probably start EE at DL as well. If you are in as fast as possible you should be able to complete SM, Buzz, and Toad in the first 30 minutes. I would then go straight to HM at 8:00 AM because last year the lines were brutal throughout the day. From there I would do Indy and Pirates. From there I would just look at the short lines and hit those rides until you want to take a break or park hop.

RSR is the biggest issue and part of the reason I suggest not starting at DCA. If you start at DCA rope dropping RSR will be your strategy but it is frequently down at RD. On a one day trip I would bite the bullet with ILL and get the experience of riding it at night. If riding together is not important than you could SR.

Artesian, make sure you allow some time for everyone to stop and think, "OMG, we're at Disneyland! DISNEYLAND!!" 😁
BTW, in 1983 during the National Computer Conference, Apple rented Disneyland for the evening. I hadn't been to DL in about 25 years, so when we got to the parking lot (now DCA), I got out of the car and started jumping up and down with excitement and saying, "Disneyland! Disneyland!" :-) Even a non-first-time visitor can get excited about being at Disneyland!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter