Dive Quest Questions

BeachMouse1

DIS Veteran
Hi my wife and I are scuba certified and want to do the Dive Quest in Epcot.
Here’s the issue my wife has recently had some ear problems and hasn’t gone on a dive since. She needs ear plugs and that’s a problem on deeper dives. I know they make vented ear plugs for deeper open water dives.
My question is does anyone know how deep the dive is? If it’s not Very deep she can just wear regular ear plugs. Anyone have any experience here please? If she will need to equalize we will get vented earplugs

I usually struggle to equalize (non-diving related eardrum injury) and I don't remember having any problems when I did my Dive Quest dives.

We’re going on our first DiveQuest in March but have dived before. They might not allow the earplugs at all for fear they could fall out. You might call and ask.

I've gone it twice. I'm a master diver but also have ear problems and do wear ear plugs when diving. I wear Doc's pro plugs. I did not wear them for Dive Quest and had not problems. They are very picky about what you can and can not use as far as your own stuff. You are allowed to use your own mask now but last time I did it I had long hair and they didn't let me wear my own hair ties, I had to use one of theirs. It's an easy dive, I don't even remember having to actually clear my ears. Be aware, it is cold, I had to wear two wet suits but then again, I wear a 5 mil. in water less than 80 degrees.

I've done the tank dive two or three times, but not recently as I can no longer dive for medical reasons. Like @loves to dive above, I'm also a master diver, but on at least one of these dives my wife also participated with just a basic Open Water certification.

IIRC, the tank is 23' deep. Not terribly deep at all. Agree that the tank is a bit cooler than you might expect but the dive isn't that long so a simple thin dive skin is fine. They do provide that too.

Don't forget to get your log book stamped for this memorable dive. :)

I've gone it twice. I'm a master diver but also have ear problems and do wear ear plugs when diving. I wear Doc's pro plugs. I did not wear them for Dive Quest and had not problems. They are very picky about what you can and can not use as far as your own stuff. You are allowed to use your own mask now but last time I did it I had long hair and they didn't let me wear my own hair ties, I had to use one of theirs. It's an easy dive, I don't even remember having to actually clear my ears. Be aware, it is cold, I had to wear two wet suits but then again, I wear a 5 mil. in water less than 80 degrees.
Thanks. The issue is she can’t get water in her ear so she will need to wear ear plugs. I will call and ask

I've done the tank dive two or three times, but not recently as I can no longer dive for medical reasons. Like @loves to dive above, I'm also a master diver, but on at least one of these dives my wife also participated with just a basic Open Water certification.

IIRC, the tank is 23' deep. Not terribly deep at all. Agree that the tank is a bit cooler than you might expect but the dive isn't that long so a simple thin dive skin is fine. They do provide that too.

Don't forget to get your log book stamped for this memorable dive. :)
Thanks for the reply. So I’m a little more clear my wife has Ménière’s disease basically a fluid imbalance in her ears so she never get water in her ears. So I asked because she wants to do it and I have read about vented ear plugs (Docs Pro) but also have read in places where she can use a non vented earplug like the wax kind that seal the ear completely if the dive isn’t to deep as she won’t need to fully equalize?? I’m no master diver so I’m unsure of all this. She needs to wear some kind of earplug. Is this possible at DiveQuest (if they allow it) and if so what would you recommend? Thanks so much

Thanks for the reply. So I’m a little more clear my wife has Ménière’s disease basically a fluid imbalance in her ears so she never get water in her ears. So I asked because she wants to do it and I have read about vented ear plugs (Docs Pro) but also have read in places where she can use a non vented earplug like the wax kind that seal the ear completely if the dive isn’t to deep as she won’t need to fully equalize?? I’m no master diver so I’m unsure of all this. She needs to wear some kind of earplug. Is this possible at DiveQuest (if they allow it) and if so what would you recommend? Thanks so much

They are very responsive via email with any questions. I would guess if its a medical accommodation, they will allow it.

Thinking about this next month. My wife doesnt dive, how much time are we in the tank. She doesnt want to hang around, dont blame her, but she wants to get pics while im in the tank.

Thinking about this next month. My wife doesnt dive, how much time are we in the tank. She doesnt want to hang around, dont blame her, but she wants to get pics while im in the tank.
Non-participants aren’t allowed in the backstage areas. However, divers are in the portion of the tanks with pavilion viewing windows. Your wife will be able to get pictures from the pavilion for you.

The dive is 45minutes or an hour (can't remember which). You're wife will be able to see you in the exhibit about 40 minutes after the tour starts. When the dive is done, it's probably another 40 or so minutes before you get back to where they took you back (by the time you shower, get dressed, and they hand out hats). You don't enter Epcot for the dive, and the tour does not include a park ticket.

Our daughter and son-in-law did this last week. She said the water is cold since their dive suits are thinner. They were on the dive for 40 min. Their group only had 4 in it. They can go up to 12 at a time. She said it was great and they would definitely do it again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter