Disney's YACHT & BEACH CLUB RESORTS Information & Questions

Scooter/ECV/Wheelchair Information

Walt Disney World Disability Services (407) 560-2547

You can also find an entire DISabilities forum here on the DIS,
disABILITIES FAQ

Where can I rent a stroller, scooter, wheelchair or other mobility items during my stay?

Disney Theme Park Wheelchair Rental (Pros/Cons)

A limited number of complimentary wheelchairs are available to guests staying at WDW resorts. A refundable $315 deposit is required. outdated?

Rental from Outside Companies

Renting from an outside company saves time & money. They can deliver (& pick up when you’re done) at bell services, you don’t need to be present.

Buena Vista Scooter Rental

www.KM-Rentals.com
and Mobility Equipment Rentals both deliver to the resorts and both run about $125 weekly. KM-Rentals offers free delivery and pick-up ... not sure about Mobility Equipment Rentals. outdated?

Apple Scooters
I have also heard great reviews about Apple Scooters for rental/delivery of strollers, scooters and wheelchairs, www.applescooter.com

Pros/Cons

Here is a link to a post with info and reviews about scooters by Mickey & Minnie Mom: http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=51492673&postcount=195

Transportation

Bus- Disney buses can transport 2 scooters/wheelchairs per trip

Boat-
It is very easy to get on the boats. The Captain will put down a ramp to bridge the boat and dock and you just drive it on.

Minnie Vans- There are two Minnie Vans in the fleet that are equipped to carry scooters. Note- you are not able to order these vans via the Lyft app. You must visit the front desk or valet stand to hail these specialized vans.

Room Storage

ECVs should be stored and charged in guests' room overnight. There are limited outlets outside the room, and if you leave the scooter to charge overnight, someone else may come along, unplug your scooter to use the outlet. The next morning, you will discover your scooter has not been charged.

Tips from AGoofykindagirl- If you rent an ECV and do not have a handicapped accessible room with a door that will stay open longer, you should bring a door stop from home to get the ECV in the room. It is very difficult for someone to stand and hold the door open while someone drives the ECV in.

I generally have the riders get off, turn the speed all the way down, and stand in front to back into the room. It may take a try or two at making it go even slower by not pulling the controls all the way, but it really isn’t too difficult.

A tip from Hopefully- You can “ disengage” the controls and manually position it in the entrance to the room. I would drive to the door then DH would walk it into the room facing out so I could just drive out in the morning. It was quick and easy to do.

Up to 2 ECVs will fit in a (standard) room

We generally have 2 ECV’s and both fit in the room at BC. The really nice thing is the cabinet with the tv has plenty of outlets so we are able to charge them overnight easily. I hope the photo shows you there is still plenty of room to walk past.

picture and commentary from AGoofykindagirl

Other Tips:

If you are not familiar with driving a scooter, we recommend that you practice with the motorized carts in your local grocery store.

It is important to practice when first receiving the ECV, before taking it out into crowds. It takes intense concentration in the parks as others stop short in front of you, dart in front of you, walk into you etc. It can be very tiring.

You need to need to be able to back up as well.

Wheelchair as an Alternative

I know this isn't the question you asked, but I wanted to suggest that renting a wheelchair for your mom might be a good option. My DD and I did that for my mom a couple of years ago and found it was much easier to manage and maneuver than the ECV. Mom is on the smaller side, so it wasn't hard on DD and me from a physical standpoint. As another poster noted, it gets stressful trying to stop and go and watch out for others. We wanted to relieve her of that stress and it worked well. Getting the wheelchair from an off site service was perfect for our situation.

We also had a rented wheelchair for our mom. It worked out so much better as we too were very worried about how she would handle the start and stop in the crowds and in the stores. The wheelchair allowed her to walk when she wanted, which was alot more than we thought she would, that was a big plus for her. She also used it to hold onto when she wanted to stand. We took turns pushing her around. It really worked out well.

I have seen people in the parks using the wheelchair much like a walker.

Knee/Ankle Scooters

How about renting one of those knee/ankle scooters...it can double as a seat during those long queues and waits....

My niece used one after breaking her ankle, and the folks at Disney treated her like a Princess their whole trip!
81FPFVPyFLL._SY450_.jpg

These work great for small spurts but holy cow if you are stuck using it for long periods they are not the best. Knee hurts from the "pad" , hip of leg doing all the work kills after a bit, and everyone not paying attention hits foot etc.
Spent 3 months using one and while my foot and leg were strong as all get out...my back from leaning to steer and hip and knee were not happy, and uneven surfaces aren't great either. I can see it working with a little kid who is light but for adults who are taller etc I'd do an electric scooter before a knee scooter at disney.

Page 1134

Last edited:
:banana::banana::banana:Be Our Guest List :banana::banana::banana:

If you would like to be added to the "Be Our Guest" List, post on this thread with the dates of your stay, which resort (BC, YC, BCV) and any other info you want to include (special birthday or anniversary celebration, first Disney trip, family gathering, etc.)

lumiere.jpg

February :love:

kaismahma Feb BC (maybe) after Cheer Championship
kproud876 Feb 2 nights ??
TylerK Feb BCV studio
DisneyCharacter Feb BC GV
HolRae Feb 1-5 BC (then AKL Feb 5-10) (20th Anniversary) :love:
iloverags2 Feb 3-5 YC (Birthday celebration)
merdie Feb 3-10 BC
anita46 Feb 4-9 BC CL
DisneyGuy Feb 7-?? YC
poohnpigletCA Feb 7-17 YC
mineu Feb 9-13 YC
patster734 Feb 10-12 BC LV
amylevan Feb 10-?? BC
Rach73 Feb 10-15 YC
My3SweetSuns Feb 10-17 BC
mieuxmew Feb 10-17 YC
disneygirl1972 Feb 11-14 BCV 2BR (split stay)
PolyAddict Feb 11-15 BCV
DIS-OH Feb 22-26 BC Princess Half
btk2333 Feb 22-28 BC
vettegirl Feb 23-26 YC CL WV, Mommy/Son trip
mindystar Feb 25 1 night BC LV (during Half Marathon)
shoes99 Feb 25-28 YC GV
OhMom Feb 25-March 3 YC CL
Wsmagee Feb 25-March 4 BC 2BR
eeyoreland end of Feb BC

March :shamrock:

nat8199 March YC
Minniemoo15 March BCV (3 studio villas)
Dr. Cynthia Lair March BC
DaisyNY March BC (villa?)
EeyoreME March 3-10 Moved to All Star Movies (DH 38th BD, Flower & Garden)

Minniemoo15 early March BCV
aboveH20 March 2-9 YC
My3SweetSuns March 3-5 YC CL
Sandi March 3-7 YC GV
Pdollar88 March 3-9 YC
Crazyhorse March 5-11 YC Deluxe CL
ConnecticutNonna March 7-13 BC CL (Celebrating DD's 39th BD)
Best_Vacation_EVER March 13-23 BC CL LV
figmentedfollies March 14-18 BC
Blended Disney March 17-22 BCV
waltdisfam4 March 20-27 BC
SleighBelle March 29-April 8 BCV

April :umbrella:

Polyrob spring 2018 BC/split with Poly
cindernat April BCV
Allthingsmickey4 April BC (after wedding at GF) :love2:
Princess Mulan April BC
10CJ April BCV 2BR
brajfamily April BC
MickeyMinnieMom April BC (maybe)

paule350 April/Easter YC LV
GTApex April 2-7 BCV 2BR villa (after split 3/30-4/2 at AoA Nemo)
MrsPMcD April 7-11 BCV (Dad's 50th BD, Flower & Garden)
msk April 8-14 YC
Bellabully April 12-20 BC (before first Dream cruise)
focusondisney April 14-20 YC CL
no one April 16-20 BC CL (split with WL)
Hapi April 21-28 BCV 2BR DS BD
Kellygain8704 April 21-29 YC
KerryCM April 24-May 1 BC CL (shhhh!) :ssst:
cindernat April 24-May1 BC or BCV
Lolaura84 April 27-30 BCV studio
paule350 April 29-?? BC or YC?
kenziesnow April 29-May 6 BC
shortster April 30-May 6 BC
AllThingsMickey4 end of April BC (maybe YC) Wedding!!! :love:

May :daisy:

horse11 May BC
MarieA May BC
Juliet25 May BC SV

vettegirl May 1-8 YC GV
goofynut41 May 2-10 BC
BoatDriver May 4-8 BC
Blended Disney May 4-8 BCV (DS 15th BD)
jpalasky May 6-12 YC CL LV (following 2 nights POR)
Tiggerish May 6-15 YC
ricosuave May 9-17 BC
horselover May 12-14 YC CL/BCV
Tess May 12-19 BCV
iheartbelle87 May 13-17 BC GV
gometros May 16-22 BCV
bookbabe626 May 18-21 BC SV
Nicnic May 21-June 1 BC (after Clearwater Beach)
canyoncam May 22-25 BCV
dreamer17555 May 22-27 YC CL SV (after Poly Pool View 5/17-22)
izzylovesmickey May 23-26 YC CL
happymommy May 23-31 BCV 1BR (Anniversary) :love2:
MMR76 end of May (10 nights) YC GV
RocketCityMama May/June ?? Family Celebrations: 18th Anniv, DD HS Grad, DD first trip :love:

June :cool2:

helenb June YC
E&AsMom June YC CL
msdroz June YC (weeklong trip)
Dr Gunnie June BC
paradesintherain June BC (maybe YC)
4DisneyWVUfans June YC

TristiK June 1-10 BC CL SV
louey June 4-10 YC
OThopeful35 June 5-15 BC
SL6827 June 9-11 BC (after 2 days SSR, BD trip)
em36 June 9-15 BC
tarak June 9-16 BC (2 rooms)
Wood Nymph June 12-16 BC (2 rooms)
mmouse50 June 21-28 BC
Momoftwins+1 June 23-30 BC (4), split stay with CR(3)
Shellyb84 June 26-July 5 BC (split, 1 night POP, 4 nights POFQ)

July :beach:

andee515 4th of July YC
LiamsDISMom July 4-6 YC (after CSR)
Amy M July 7-16 BC
beckysko mid-July YC
MickeyT July 15-20 BCV Sarah Jane's First Trip! :dogdance:
MINNIEANN MOUSE July 19-28 BCV 1BR
closetmickey July 23-26 BC? GV
chrismom3 late July BC GV

Aug :sunny:

gumbo1009 Aug BCV
Cappy81 Aug BC
Best_Vacation_EVER Aug (12 nights)
Spencer Wright Aug BC
ITALIANNYC Aug BCV

monorailsilver Aug 1-6 BC
wdwlver Aug 2-11 BCV
Mayhem1976 Aug 5-10 BC
Cynthiab Aug 8-15 BCV
4DisneyFam Aug 14-20 YC GV
AcrossthePondNic Aug 15-30 YC GV
ScottM and JNpants Aug 16-27 YC (All YC, All the time!) HONEYMOON :love:

mom of 3 blondes Aug 21-25 YC (then Poly 8/26-29)
hmcater Aug 23-25 BC 3 nights
crazyprincess Aug 25-31 YC (20th Anniversary, DD 18th BD, AKL split)
niccikatie Aug 25-Sept 1 BC

YYC-Rob end of Aug BC SV
pens4821 end of Aug

September :teacher:

2littledisneyfans early Sept BC (maybe)
sweetyk83 Sept BC

Rags Sept 1-9 YC
focusondisney Sept 8-12 YC CL WV, followed by 3 nights GF RPC (40th Anniversary :love2:)
MLinDisney Sept 10-14 BCV (Celebrating 70th BD)
VAtink Sept 16-23 BC F&W
RolloTomasi Sept 22-29 YC
KerryCM Sept 28-Oct 5 BC CL (with son & family and their friends)
gillep Sept 29-Oct 3 BCV

October :hmghost:

bookbabe626 Oct 5-8 BC SV
Tess Oct 5-14 either BCV or BC
PCFriar80 Oct 17-25 BCV
verleniahall Oct/Nov YC CL SV (Wine & Dine 5K)
TheInvernessie Oct/Nov YC or BC (maybe)

November :squirrel:

bluecastle Nov BC Mom-Daughter trip

Blended Disney Nov 2-5 BCV with in-laws for F&W
vettegirl Nov 7-14 YC GV
cocoabean1 Nov 9-17 BC CL
wdwnut61 Nov 17-25 BC
Jon84 Nov 22-Dec 6 BC
<3 Mandi <3 Nov 27-Dec 11 BCV

December :santa:

Crazyhorse Dec 1-7 YC Deluxe CL
Josieriz Dec 7-14 YC
DisneyFanJenn Dec 14-18 BC (following 12/7-14 CBR)
chadwick61 Dec 16-23 BCV
denise5374 Dec 25-30 BC
bookbabe626 Dec 30-Jan 2 BC SV (split stay 4 nights POFQ, BC, then 4 nights Poly)

Lalabubbles 2019
bluecastle 2019 mom/daughter trip, F&W and Christmas fun!
picesmama Sept/Oct 2019 BC (maybe)

PCFriar Jan 9-17 BCV Marathon
Christine9125 Sept YC
penelope75 Sept 15-22 YC (after 3 days at Universal)

Farro May 2020 YC

Last edited:
February 11, 2018 Page 1151

May 30, 2015 Page 334 (Locked Thread)

How do I add to this, we will be at Beach Club November 19-December 2 for our honeymoon:lovestruc

Trying to piece together a post about Scooters/ECVs for the FAQ. This is a work in progress. Please feel free to add any of your own comments/suggestions/experiences, particularly if you have info or reviews of an offsite rental company.

:crutches:

View attachment 296302
We generally have 2 ECV’s and both fit in the room at BC. The really nice thing is the cabinet with the tv has plenty of outlets so we are able to charge them overnight easily. I hope the photo shows you there is still plenty of room to walk past. If you have more questions, feel free to send me a message. I’ll be glad to help.
I generally have the riders get off, turn the speed all the way down, and stand in front to back into the room. It may take a try or two at making it go even slower by not pulling the controls all the way, but it really isn’t too difficult. The suggestion about trying at the grocery store is good. Practice with a person sitting in it (most of those require someone in the seat to go). You could also take off the brakes to make it pushable without turning it on, but by the end of the day, I don’t have the oomph to do it without the power.
If you have more questions, don’t hesitate to ask. We are all here to help.
ETA, check the quoted message- it has a photo of both ECV’s in the room.
Sarah

Heading to the BC in May. I booked back in the fall and got 25% off the room. I booked a standard view but I am thinking about upgrading to a water view. Additional cost will be around $70 per day. I am struggling with spending the extra money....but we do spend a lot of time at the resort. It will be our third time at the BC for a long stay so I know the benefits and risk of a "water view" room. But do I take the chance I get a really nice view of the lake vs and side way, squinted eye look at the pool.....which is "water view" as well? Thoughts?

Heading to the BC in May. I booked back in the fall and got 25% off the room. I booked a standard view but I am thinking about upgrading to a water view. Additional cost will be around $70 per day. I am struggling with spending the extra money....but we do spend a lot of time at the resort. It will be our third time at the BC for a long stay so I know the benefits and risk of a "water view" room. But do I take the chance I get a really nice view of the lake vs and side way, squinted eye look at the pool.....which is "water view" as well? Thoughts?

It's not a question of how much time you spend at the resort. It's a question of how much time you spend looking out the window, or sitting on the balcony (although you are staying at the BC and not all of those rooms even have a full balcony).

Some people like to look out the window, and view is important to them. I close the drapes and only look out first thing in the morning to see if it's raining.

Short answer, I wouldn't spend it. Take your number of nights x $70 and this is money you can use for dining, gifts, recreation, etc. To me it's not worth the anxiousness of knowing will I get or not get the view I spent the extra $70 for. Stick with your original plan and put that "savings" in a special bucket for more fun!

I’m going through the same. We are booked for Garden View and usually get a slight water view like you. I always thought it would be a waste - spending more $ on the view, but after getting a lucky upgrade last year it made a world of difference. We spend an lot of time at the resort as well, and we felt it added a lot keeping the curtains open and looking out to the lake - SO relaxing. As you can probably tell, we are leaning towards the upgrade.

I’m going through the same. We are booked for Garden View and usually get a slight water view like you. I always thought it would be a waste - spending more $ on the view, but after getting a lucky upgrade last year it made a world of difference. We spend an lot of time at the resort as well, and we felt it added a lot keeping the curtains open and looking out to the lake - SO relaxing. As you can probably tell, we are leaning towards the upgrade.

I lean towards spending the extra money as well. Although I totally get saving the $70 per day for other fun but a nice view from the room is awesome.

anyone going Feb 22-28 I was able to get public and passholder discounts applied to my room today- saved about 33%- worth calling to check if you don't already have a discount rate

anyone going Feb 22-28 I was able to get public and passholder discounts applied to my room today- saved about 33%- worth calling to check if you don't already have a discount rate

For my May visit, I got the AP rate. Only saved 15% on our Beach Club one bedroom villa, so hoping at my March trip (All Star Sports) I can see if the bounceback may be better (and also for a couple other trips this year). Still hard to swallow $650/night, but not looking into points rentals (I would still get daily maid service, so the savings would be marginal).

So what time do they open SAB in the mornings? During June? Gotta get in my SAB time early!

Scooter/ECV/Wheelchair Information

Walt Disney World Disability Services (407) 560-2547

You can also find an entire DISabilities forum here on the DIS,
disABILITIES FAQ

Where can I rent a stroller, scooter, wheelchair or other mobility items during my stay?

Disney Theme Park Wheelchair Rental (Pros/Cons)

A limited number of complimentary wheelchairs are available to guests staying at WDW resorts. A refundable $315 deposit is required. outdated?

Rental from Outside Companies

Renting from an outside company saves time & money. They can deliver (& pick up when you’re done) at bell services, you don’t need to be present.

Thank You this was very helpful
Buena Vista Scooter Rental

www.KM-Rentals.com
and Mobility Equipment Rentals both deliver to the resorts and both run about $125 weekly. KM-Rentals offers free delivery and pick-up ... not sure about Mobility Equipment Rentals. outdated?

Apple Scooters
I have also heard great reviews about Apple Scooters for rental/delivery of strollers, scooters and wheelchairs, www.applescooter.com

Pros/Cons

Here is a link to a post with info and reviews about scooters by Mickey & Minnie Mom: http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=51492673&postcount=195

Transportation

Bus- Disney buses can transport 2 scooters/wheelchairs per trip

Boat-
It is very easy to get on the boats. The Captain will put down a ramp to bridge the boat and dock and you just drive it on.

Minnie Vans- There are two Minnie Vans in the fleet that are equipped to carry scooters. Note- you are not able to order these vans via the Lyft app. You must visit the front desk or valet stand to hail these specialized vans.

Room Storage

ECVs should be stored and charged in guests' room overnight. There are limited outlets outside the room, and if you leave the scooter to charge overnight, someone else may come along, unplug your scooter to use the outlet. The next morning, you will discover your scooter has not been charged.

Tips from AGoofykindagirl- If you rent an ECV and do not have a handicapped accessible room with a door that will stay open longer, you should bring a door stop from home to get the ECV in the room. It is very difficult for someone to stand and hold the door open while someone drives the ECV in.

I generally have the riders get off, turn the speed all the way down, and stand in front to back into the room. It may take a try or two at making it go even slower by not pulling the controls all the way, but it really isn’t too difficult.

A tip from Hopefully- You can “ disengage” the controls and manually position it in the entrance to the room. I would drive to the door then DH would walk it into the room facing out so I could just drive out in the morning. It was quick and easy to do.

Up to 2 ECVs will fit in a (standard) room

We generally have 2 ECV’s and both fit in the room at BC. The really nice thing is the cabinet with the tv has plenty of outlets so we are able to charge them overnight easily. I hope the photo shows you there is still plenty of room to walk past.

picture and commentary from AGoofykindagirl

Other Tips:

If you are not familiar with driving a scooter, we recommend that you practice with the motorized carts in your local grocery store.

It is important to practice when first receiving the ECV, before taking it out into crowds. It takes intense concentration in the parks as others stop short in front of you, dart in front of you, walk into you etc. It can be very tiring.

You need to need to be able to back up as well.

Wheelchair as an Alternative

Knee/Ankle Scooters

Thank you this is very helpful

Page 1134

Thank you for all the Scooter info, Hope I can make this work. One question? Only two scooters per bus , so if someone else is there with a scooter or wheelchair one of us has to wait for next bus? right? This is my concern cause In the mornings I break my neck to be first to the parks..

Thank you for all the Scooter info, Hope I can make this work. One question? Only two scooters per bus , so if someone else is there with a scooter or wheelchair one of us has to wait for next bus? right? This is my concern cause In the mornings I break my neck to be first to the parks..

My youngest uses a wheelchair at Disney, but we fold it up on the bus most of the time (he can walk, just not the amount at a theme park).

Yes, you may have to wait in the morning, if there are 2 folks with scooters ahead of you to get on a bus. It likely won't happen often, if at all, but it can happen. There is a separate place to wait for a bus for wheelchairs and scooters (most of the time), as the driver will load them first and make sure the scooters are secured prior to opening the front door of the bus (and I've seen some rude folks just mosey on in the back with us, not being a part of a handicapped group but figuring they can board without waiting in the normal line, grrr).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter