Disney's WILDERNESS LODGE Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your trip is getting close. Yay! Room requests won't matter a whole lot, but what we would do is go for a "bear face" room by requesting open to lobby with a courtyard view. There might be some noise from WCC but we love the view. There are still a few of these rooms open. Beyond that you could request high floor for better views and less noise or low floor to not have as long of a ride on the single bank of elevators that are open. You really can't go wrong though, so enjoy your stay and let us know how it goes.

Thanks for the advice! I had heard of Bear Face rooms but didn't know what it meant - I will look at the beginning of the thread to find out more, I think I saw something about that! The second night, we'll be down there making the noise at WCC, so that shouldn't bother us too much! Starting to get really excited! Too many plans and not enough time...

Thanks for the advice! I had heard of Bear Face rooms but didn't know what it meant - I will look at the beginning of the thread to find out more, I think I saw something about that! The second night, we'll be down there making the noise at WCC, so that shouldn't bother us too much! Starting to get really excited! Too many plans and not enough time...
Yeah, the "bear face" rooms have balconies that face East and overlook upper silver creek springs (which is a nice view) but then the door end of the room opens up to the lobby, which is an impressive and beautiful view as well. They are only on the fourth and fifth floor, and normally there are a total of 14 of them, but I believe only 8 (the ones toward the North side) are open during the construction.

Yeah, the "bear face" rooms have balconies that face East and overlook upper silver creek springs (which is a nice view) but then the door end of the room opens up to the lobby, which is an impressive and beautiful view as well. They are only on the fourth and fifth floor, and normally there are a total of 14 of them, but I believe only 8 (the ones toward the North side) are open during the construction.

That sounds awesome! Last year, we were in the South Wing - way down toward the end! We had a nice view, but it was a long walk at times! That sounds like a great view looking straight out!

Just changed my reservation from Coronado to WL never stayed here before, booked the courtyard view, my online check in is tomorrow where is the best area to pick because of the construction?

It sounds like you've convinced yourself of where your next stay will be;). However, even if the South Wing were to re-open by the time you visit again, there's no guarantee that 7127 would even be available. There's also the possibility that 7035 might not be available. If it weren't available to you, would you still be happy? In the past, I've had to answer these same questions, although there wasn't any construction going on and the OFC was fully operational.

How's your recovery and how's your dad doing?

Hey kook!
I'm only now thinking about,what if,in regards to the room......without a doubt,my two favorite rooms are a preference. If neither are available......if we could get a room with a pool view that would give us at least a partial view of the lake,that would be just fine too. Under the circumstances,flexibility is a necessity. I do think about BWI CL,but the pull of WL is strong. I do like the feeling of being removed from the crowds and noise. Sheesh,decisions,decisions.

I haven't seen my Dad since my knee replacement on 1/19, but Ed has been going to see him. The staff says he returned from rehab a different person,not as easygoing,which is upsetting to me. It means he isn't happy. It must have been so confusing and scary for him,to be somewhere else for two months and having to use a wheelchair. But Ed says that the longer he's back in his room,the more he's getting back to being himself. I'm getting at least two calls a week,though. He refuses to ask for help and he is falling down transferring from wheelchair to bathroom by himself. Ed had a serious talk with him and I've spoken with him too,so no calls this week,thank goodness.

I'm in week four of recovery. I left physical therapy crying on Wed.,but it was less traumatic today. I actually didn't realize I was crying at the time,but my body reacted before my brain engaged.Getting my knee to bend is beyond excruciating. But we're taking a DCL cruise to Alaska end of May,so I'm determined to not be Miss Wobbles by then. I look at everyday as one day closer to getting better.....popping an OxyCondon before PT helps a little too.....

:wave:

One big con to me is that you don't control the reservation and you usually can't make any changes or cancel when renting points. Travel insurance would be a benefit, but isn't free, so I assume this cost would be passed on to you?

I knew you'd have great advice:)

Someone may have already posted this, but if not, here are some aerial photos of the construction at the Wilderness Lodge.

Wilderness Lodge DVC Construction Aerial View

Wellp, I thought we were going back to the WL, but we had an offer to stay at the Poly CL and it was so could we couldn't say no! With that said, I need to make sure we make it over to at least have lunch or dinner at the Whispering Canyon!

This may have been answered but I haven't finished reading through all the posts. So sorry if it was.... For those that were recently there... Did you "notice" all the construction? In other words, was it construction everywhere or was it that you knew construction was going on but it didn't bother your experience. Thanks.

In addition to the walking path and boat transportation, you also can take a bus from the Wilderness Lodge directly to the Trails End/ Hoop-De-Doo area of Fort Wilderness. The bus is particularly useful when the boats are not running because of bad weather. The entire bus trip takes less than 5 minutes, and departs from the Magic Kingdom bus slot. You can ask any Magic Kingdom bus driver if you need more information. The bus also runs the other direction (back to the Wilderness Lodge) after you have enjoyed Fort Wilderness.

In addition to the walking path and boat transportation, you also can take a bus from the Wilderness Lodge directly to the Trails End/ Hoop-De-Doo area of Fort Wilderness. The bus is particularly useful when the boats are not running because of bad weather. The entire bus trip takes less than 5 minutes, and departs from the Magic Kingdom bus slot. You can ask any Magic Kingdom bus driver if you need more information. The bus also runs the other direction (back to the Wilderness Lodge) after you have enjoyed Fort Wilderness.

Thanks for that info. Still not 100% sure we'll do HDD - the cost is a bit crazy for a family of five with the AUD exchange rate, but I do like to know all my options :D

Just returned from Princess Half Marathon weekend and spent our first two nights at WL. We've stayed at WL many times and most recently last year in both March and August, so we have basis for comparison.

Wow - that's some construction! We stayed in a courtyard view room and I'll say the construction was obvious and very much present. We faced that scaffolding head on and could see tons of construction workers over on the other side. The lobby (as demonstrated by all the photos others posted) is half boarded up and it does impact the overall atmosphere. The construction on the other side of the resort had a significant impact on the courtyard view - it was essentially a construction view, even though we weren't looking into a pit of dirt - scaffolding and yellow-vested workers were everywhere over there.

Unrelated to the construction (I think), bus service was not great. Buses at every resort are always hit or miss. I don't think any one deluxe resort has bus service that's far superior to the others. The buses were uncrowded (yay!) but arrived infrequently (boo!) We waited for almost an hour for our DHS bus one morning. We were fine because our FP+ were later, but several guests were stressed about dining reservations and FP. Again, this can happen anywhere.

On the bright side, Roaring Forks was never crowded. Never! It was a breeze. The boats were not crowded and we were always able to fit on the first boat that arrived at the dock. Also, our AP rate was very reasonable for a deluxe, considering the season. The low cost and reasonable expectations (based on great info on this thread - thanks to @woodnymph, @WDWKOOK and all contributors!) had much to do with our enjoyment. We regarded this as an alternative to a moderate, given the low cost of WL during construction compared to other deluxe resorts. Also, we intentionally planned our WL stay for the part of the trip we spent in the parks. We spent very little time at the resort and didn't use the pool or anything else. It was very much a place to sleep and grab a quick breakfast before heading out for the entire day (and returning around 10pm each night.)

So we had a great time, but that's very much based on the circumstances above. I was strongly considering a switch to BC for those first two nights, and in retrospect, would have preferred to make that change. But our kids love WL, loved the construction pins, loved the cake I ordered from the CR bakery (which would not have served BC) and were very happy about the choice. So it was all good in the end. :)

1a.jpg
Wow - that's some construction! We stayed in a courtyard view room and I'll say the construction was obvious and very much present. We faced that scaffolding head on and could see tons of construction workers over on the other side. The lobby (as demonstrated by all the photos others posted) is half boarded up and it does impact the overall atmosphere. The construction on the other side of the resort had a significant impact on the courtyard view - it was essentially a construction view, even though we weren't looking into a pit of dirt - scaffolding and yellow-vested workers were everywhere over there.

We are at Disney now and stopped by the WL to check out the construction yesterday. I couldn't believe all the scaffolding on the south wing courtyard side of the resort. It wasn't there in January. We could see through one of the ground level rooms in the south wing all the way through to the villas side. They are taking out doors and walls in at least some of the south wing rooms. There is a lot more construction now than in January, but the lobby is the same as when we saw it last month.

We saw them removing metal studs from a fourth floor room in the area by the Cub's Den on the south side. They were taking the studs out of the balcony window. They used a lift to take the studs out of the room. They are definitely removing or moving walls in the rooms, or some of the rooms. They are very busy over there with lots of workmen all over the place.
I peeked through the fence behind the Trout Pass Bar and saw workers in the area where the new restaurant is supposed to be. They are digging trenches and laying pipes, I think. That is the marina building in the background and what used to be the beach area where they held the movie on the left.

This is how it looked last month.

2a.jpg
This picture shows the scaffolding that is covering the south wing. The villas building is in the background on the right. You can see a workman down in the trench in the middle of the picture, just to the right of the bright blue cooler. I couldn't tell what they were doing here.

3a.jpg

4a.jpg
This is a view from the fourth floor window looking toward the MK. That is Otter Pond in the foreground. This area was total mud when we were there last month. They have put down a lot of sand since then.

5a.jpg
This is how it looked last month.

The club level lounge is still in the same place as last month, the corridor on the seventh floor.

As Pixarmom said, there is really a lot of work being done.

Last edited:
Have Resi for June in a Queen + Bunks courtyard view. From the research that I have done, It appears that only 3 of those types ever existed with 2 still in operation today. Am I looking at this correctly? (4021 & 4017) I ask because I am trying to figure out if a room request even matters.

Have Resi for June in a Queen + Bunks courtyard view. From the research that I have done, It appears that only 3 of those types ever existed with 2 still in operation today. Am I looking at this correctly? (4021 & 4017) I ask because I am trying to figure out if a room request even matters.

We had a queen + bunk bed courtyard room on the 5th floor last July. There are more than three bunk bed rooms, if that's what you're asking. Our request was 5th floor, near elevator, lake view. Now, this was in the south wing, which is closed right now, so numbers available in the north wing will be limited, but there are a few on every floor. It was room 51-something ( I have blanked out on the number, sorry!)

Here was our view:

You can also go to touring plans and look at their room views, and break it down specifically to your room category and it will highlight where the rooms are. I've found it to be accurate. If I am wrong, someone will surely correct me!! HERE is a link to their 4th floor layout with the Q+BB rooms.

Does anybody know the specifics of which rooms are bookable/non-bookable during construction? We called and booked our trip for late November/early December last night, and for that time frame there were no ground floor woods view rooms available. (I'm referring to the roll-in shower rooms. My mother requires one and there are only two roll-in shower rooms with woods view, both on the first floor. Neither were available for booking.) We were able to book a roll-in shower room with a courtyard view, but the rep suggested that we call back several times between now and our trip to see if the woods view rooms open. Just checking to make sure we won't be calling for no reason! LOL if the rooms aren't going to be open during our stay I don't want to annoy anyone by calling and calling. The rooms in question are 1034 and 1026. Thanks guys!!

Does anybody know the specifics of which rooms are bookable/non-bookable during construction? We called and booked our trip for late November/early December last night, and for that time frame there were no ground floor woods view rooms available. (I'm referring to the roll-in shower rooms. My mother requires one and there are only two roll-in shower rooms with woods view, both on the first floor. Neither were available for booking.) We were able to book a roll-in shower room with a courtyard view, but the rep suggested that we call back several times between now and our trip to see if the woods view rooms open. Just checking to make sure we won't be calling for no reason! LOL if the rooms aren't going to be open during our stay I don't want to annoy anyone by calling and calling. The rooms in question are 1034 and 1026. Thanks guys!!
Those ground floor woods view rooms have a nice green construction fence placed right in front of the patios. There is a lot of construction going on right in front of those rooms. I really don't know if they are putting guests in those ground floor rooms. But I wouldn't want to have the view of the construction fence and the noise and dirt from the construction.

I believe that they have removed the entire "Woods View" category during the construction, leaving only Courtyard and Standard view. I'm not sure if they are using those rooms (or if I'd want one) but I think you could get one with a Standard view reservation and appropriate request. There is no way that everything that used to be Woods view in the North wing is closed, they likely have just removed the category since the view is more of a construction view. It would mean you could save a little extra by getting a formerly Woods View room at Standard view pricing.

So... we had made the decision to skip the WL on our trip this summer trip this June and go to Port Orleans Riversie instead. After weeks of back and forth and what if questions, we made the decision to return home. There is just too much that we love about the place! Sure, the place will be a work in progress but we booked a courtyard bunk bed room so we know we will not be looking over the construction site. We expect to have frequent glimpses of the work and know that it will not be quite the same but never the less, we love the place and most importantly... it has always felt like home to us. Our plan is to make the 8-hour drive with a stop in St. Augustine and spend the night at the Spring Hill Suites at Flamingo Crossing then drop our luggage early and hit the park. This will be a great trip and we have no plans to tell our kids. We have told them we are taking a beach week in Daytona so they will not even question anything until we are an hour from the Orlando.

Hi all!

We're staying at the WL from 4/15-17/16, for the front end of a split stay. We stayed here last April and just love it! I got a lot of valuable information before our trip lurking on this thread, and it's been very helpful to get an idea of the construction impact this year, so thanks to everyone that's been posting about it!

Any thoughts or suggestions about room/reservation requests, given the current construction? Or maybe it doesn't matter? We're Courtyard - we were in the South wing last year, I believe, and we had cool (and unexpected!) peeks of Wishes, but I think that's the side that currently closed. Any thoughts would be helpful - thanks!

Welcome back and I'll log your dates. Yes, the South Wing is closed so you will be in the North Wing or you could be in a Bear Face/lobby room. I think the ones near the North Wing are still open.

Just changed my reservation from Coronado to WL never stayed here before, booked the courtyard view, my online check in is tomorrow where is the best area to pick because of the construction?

Please see my reply above.

Someone may have already posted this, but if not, here are some aerial photos of the construction at the Wilderness Lodge.

Wilderness Lodge DVC Construction Aerial View

Thank you for posting the link to recent overhead imagery @DVC Mike :)

Wellp, I thought we were going back to the WL, but we had an offer to stay at the Poly CL and it was so could we couldn't say no! With that said, I need to make sure we make it over to at least have lunch or dinner at the Whispering Canyon!

ALOHA! At least Aloha means hello and goodbye:wave:

Just returned from Princess Half Marathon weekend and spent our first two nights at WL. We've stayed at WL many times and most recently last year in both March and August, so we have basis for comparison.

Unrelated to the construction (I think), bus service was not great. Buses at every resort are always hit or miss. I don't think any one deluxe resort has bus service that's far superior to the others. The buses were uncrowded (yay!) but arrived infrequently (boo!) We waited for almost an hour for our DHS bus one morning. We were fine because our FP+ were later, but several guests were stressed about dining reservations and FP. Again, this can happen anywhere.

On the bright side, Roaring Forks was never crowded. Never! It was a breeze. The boats were not crowded and we were always able to fit on the first boat that arrived at the dock. Also, our AP rate was very reasonable for a deluxe, considering the season. The low cost and reasonable expectations (based on great info on this thread - thanks to @woodnymph, @WDWKOOK and all contributors!) had much to do with our enjoyment. We regarded this as an alternative to a moderate, given the low cost of WL during construction compared to other deluxe resorts. Also, we intentionally planned our WL stay for the part of the trip we spent in the parks. We spent very little time at the resort and didn't use the pool or anything else. It was very much a place to sleep and grab a quick breakfast before heading out for the entire day (and returning around 10pm each night.)

So we had a great time, but that's very much based on the circumstances above. I was strongly considering a switch to BC for those first two nights, and in retrospect, would have preferred to make that change. But our kids love WL, loved the construction pins, loved the cake I ordered from the CR bakery (which would not have served BC) and were very happy about the choice. So it was all good in the end. :)

Thank you - so helpful! What an honest report to help everyone make a more informed decision about staying at WL.

We are at Disney now and stopped by the WL to check out the construction yesterday. I couldn't believe all the scaffolding on the south wing courtyard side of the resort. It wasn't there in January. We could see through one of the ground level rooms in the south wing all the way through to the villas side. They are taking out doors and walls in at least some of the south wing rooms. There is a lot more construction now than in January, but the lobby is the same as when we saw it last month.

We saw them removing metal studs from a fourth floor room in the area by the Cub's Den on the south side. They were taking the studs out of the balcony window. They used a lift to take the studs out of the room. They are definitely removing or moving walls in the rooms, or some of the rooms. They are very busy over there with lots of workmen all over the place.
I peeked through the fence behind the Trout Pass Bar and saw workers in the area where the new restaurant is supposed to be. They are digging trenches and laying pipes, I think. That is the marina building in the background and what used to be the beach area where they held the movie on the left.

This picture shows the scaffolding that is covering the south wing. The villas building is in the background on the right. You can see a workman down in the trench in the middle of the picture, just to the right of the bright blue cooler. I couldn't tell what they were doing here.

This is a view from the fourth floor window looking toward the MK. That is Otter Pond in the foreground. This area was total mud when we were there last month. They have put down a lot of sand since then.

The club level lounge is still in the same place as last month, the corridor on the seventh floor.

As Pixarmom said, there is really a lot of work being done.

We need you permanently stationed at WDW, @Wood Nymph! Great photos and you even included helpful before/after. Thanks much and we so appreciate the time you take to post comments, photos and answer questions. Looks like a lot of noticeable progress toward completion now and some major changes evolving right before your eyes.

So... we had made the decision to skip the WL on our trip this summer trip this June and go to Port Orleans Riversie instead. After weeks of back and forth and what if questions, we made the decision to return home. There is just too much that we love about the place! Sure, the place will be a work in progress but we booked a courtyard bunk bed room so we know we will not be looking over the construction site. We expect to have frequent glimpses of the work and know that it will not be quite the same but never the less, we love the place and most importantly... it has always felt like home to us. Our plan is to make the 8-hour drive with a stop in St. Augustine and spend the night at the Spring Hill Suites at Flamingo Crossing then drop our luggage early and hit the park. This will be a great trip and we have no plans to tell our kids. We have told them we are taking a beach week in Daytona so they will not even question anything until we are an hour from the Orlando.

Welcome back to WL! Just want to make sure you know that many of the amenities are closed, such as the beach, marina, Cub's Den, marshmallow roast, etc... Will the kids be okay with that? If they're more pool/splash pad kids, then that will be ready and waiting for them.

Last edited:
We just got our AP rate and are thinking of switching from the WL to the Poly this July bc it's only $300 more. We LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the WL, but the Poly is usually so much further out from our budget that we don't even consider it. We have some questions that I hope someone can help with.
* We liked the idea of bunk beds at the WL. Anyone know how large Poly rooms are in comparison?
* Any pros or cons to each? We would have the standard view at the Poly and bunk bed courtyard view at the WL
I just wonder, with the construction as a factor, if the Poly might be the way to go this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter