Disneyland Reopening Speculation Superthread

if not booked I agree but people with reservations booked months ago Before COVID are different. What do you do to them?

they’re just going to have to take advantage of the extended dating of park tickets & liberal flight change policies, to be frank

One thing to think about is there isn’t a lot at risk right now. Disney resort hotels are refundable up to a couple days before arrival. Most airlines also have flexible change policies right now. You might not get money back in your pocket if you book the cheapest fare, but if you’re 100% set on going in the next 12 months most airlines should accommodate that without change fees.

it’s still at-risk in that it’s money tied up with airlines (short of the airline cancelling a flight) with an unknown park reservation policy that’s probably not conducive to 5 days in a row.

but I agree with you in that on-park guests will eventually get priority into the parks, but I also said DL would open in May 😂

I’m really interested to see what they do about Avengers Campus. It was pretty close to completion so I’d imagine (?) it wouldn’t take much longer to get it going. But would it be ideal to open it during a time of reduced capacity? And probably not during the holidays? Would that then push it to next year?
Avengers Campus, the snow white ride, and Haunted Mansion have me wondering where they are in regards to construction completion. I think I read construction had resumed? But I'm sure they are using less people to help with the whole social distancing thing.

they’re just going to have to take advantage of the extended dating of park tickets & liberal flight change policies, to be frank

I don't think disney flat out cancelling OOS visitors is a good way to go. And are a lot of Locals staying at the hotels? It seems trying to go through hotel reservations and only cancelling OOS people would be a pain to do and would you have enough occupancy at that point to be worth staying open?

I'm in Georgia and have no DLR trips planned but if I did have a trip planned and parks were open and the on-site hotel I booked at was open and I got cancelled just because I was out of state I'd be pissed.

Should people reconsider trips with all the restrictions? Absolutely. That is different then disney cancelling it themselves Or saying "yeah you booked a 7 day trip in November of 2019. You can go the one park one day".

If it’s third party hotels... that will be really interesting how Disney handles that. That does seem unfair if they get preference (good neighbor hotels never got any other perks before) but if Disney says “no way” that could be more devastation to the local hotel economy and might not paint Disney in a good light when they come and ask Anaheim for tax breaks if they want to build another on property hotel etc...

For Disneyland I agree it will be interestinG how they handle good neighbor hotels. I think they have to give people at on-site hotels priority access to reservations. Good neighbor hotels are a whole different issue in disneyland. I used to go to Disneyland once a year for rundisney races before they cancelled them and never stayed on-site. I could stay at holiday inn in Walnut and walk to start line or parks. Really different situation then WDW has.

For both parks devil will be in the details and we don;t know any of those yet.

This was part of out thinking when we decided to switch from Camelot to PPH. We were thinking it wasn't out of the ballpark for Disney to say their 3 hotels are guaranteed entry.

Were not going to November, but we really don't know how long it will take for them to do these transitions. Just trying to make the best decision.

Also to be honest, we kind of trust Disney more when it comes to cleaning. That was a big deciding factor with all this stuff going on.

Question, I've seen random comments on social media saying that CM's have not been contacted, even though they have an opening date. Is there a schedule system for DL CM's that can be watched if they start getting scheduled? Especially considering DTD opens in just under a month. Over at the WDW boards people would watch for the schedule to get released to give a hint at when they would be opening.

I think on property hotel reservations will be the gateway in since it’s a huge revenue driver for Disney, don’t hold off on booking until everything has been announced. They could close bookings at any time or fill up if semi-locals (think 2 hour drive etc) decides its worth a two night stay to have a good weekend, etc.

Yes, I agree with this. Makes sense from so many perspectives. I would be surprised if on property guests don’t get priority!

Also to be honest, we kind of trust Disney more when it comes to cleaning. That was a big deciding factor with all this stuff going on.

This was my logic too... and part of my justification for staying at the Grand this time. I trust Disney to be immaculate with their safety and cleanliness more than anyone right now.. Maybe more than my own employer... 😂

I’m really interested to see what they do about Avengers Campus. It was pretty close to completion so I’d imagine (?) it wouldn’t take much longer to get it going. But would it be ideal to open it during a time of reduced capacity? And probably not during the holidays? Would that then push it to next year?

So to me this would be a perfect situation to open and get it working the way they want. I understand big grand openings, but there is alot to be said about testing, running at smaller capacities, etc.

I think DLR with the massive AP has a unique issue and a reason for a delay in the hotel open vs the other way around in Orlando. I do believe on-site hotels GC/PPH will guarantee park admission as that's just silly money and a way for out of towners to get into the parks while the APs and other ticket holders will have a secondary site needed to get reservations.

I took a look at Shanghai and it's a simple site of verification of valid ticket as entry into the site and then a reservation selection. Simple enough it seems --- but it's Disney tech support, so as long as the D23 tech folk don't do it!

So how does Shanghai work? If you stay onsite are you automatically reserved?

I don't think you can look to shanghai. Watch WDW. It looks really likely that whatever the new system is will be deployed to DLR and WDW. In fact my guess in the new reservation system will open to both at the same time.

See and based on per day ticket cost and the likely higher food and souvenir spending, I actually see Disney being more wiling to accommodate multi day holders than APs. I could see something like:

60 days out- on site guests can book, based on length of stay and tickets (like a 60+5 like at WDW). APs could also stay onsite for length of stay access.
45 days out- everyone else can book, APs one day per week (?), ticket holders can
book dates based on length of tickets (like a 60+5)
30 days out, APs can book more days based on availability

Last edited:
I am just wondering how it will work for onsite. We purchased tickets as part of the package, but won't get them till checkin. Seems like they would need to either send e-tickets so we can attach, or use our confirmation codes. I will be interested to see how this is worked out.

I don't think you can look to shanghai. Watch WDW. It looks really likely that whatever the new system is will be deployed to DLR and WDW. In fact my guess in the new reservation system will open to both at the same time.
Except that WDW has 25 resorts that are all opening together and DL will have 2. Much easier to guarantee to onsite at DL than WDW.

My own thoughts - and I have nothing to back this up, is that much like Star Wars, onsite guests will have some priority. They are giving APs and locals that first week before the hotels open, but they can't have people book multiple days at their onsite hotels, especially at these prices and then only let them in for a day.

The thing is, without DLH you are looking at 1200ish rooms, DLH adds about 1000. WDW has more than 30,000 rooms. That’s 7500 rooms per park, let’s say 4 people per room, that’s 30,000 people per park. Using the same math and all 3 hotels, 4,400 guests for each CA park. DL can easily guarantee access to hotel guests where WDW can’t- even more so with DLH closed.

This was the post, lol:

I posted this elsewhere, but here are the numbers for hotel capacity:

DLH: 973 rooms
GCH: 948 rooms
PPH: 481 rooms
Total official room capacity: 2402 rooms
(source: Disney hotel fact sheets)

Assuming 5 people per room (suites are included in that number) 5 x 2402 = 12,010 on-park guests.

Unofficial DL maximum capacity = 75,000 (LA Times)
Unofficial DCA maximum capacity = 33,000 (various)

So even with with packed full hotels divided by DLR's carrying capacity of 108,000 guests, you only approach 11.1% of capacity.

So going back to capacity.... If DLH is closed for now (Won't affect me cause they will be open in October) that cuts half the on-site park guests out. That's so much easier to guarantee entry now. The only need to guarantee around 7,000!

The thing is, without DLH you are looking at 1200ish rooms, DLH adds about 1000. WDW has more than 30,000 rooms. That’s 7500 rooms per park, let’s say 4 people per room, that’s 30,000 people per park. Using the same math and all 3 hotels, 4,400 guests for each CA park. DL can easily guarantee access to hotel guests where WDW can’t- even more so with DLH closed.

I literally just posted the same thing on the speculation board! lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter